Author Topic: disk brake and suspension questions  (Read 1320 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
disk brake and suspension questions
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
I am getting ready to convert a 65 Skylark GS to disk brakes and rebuild the front-end. The vehicle has a brake problem and a shake at 55 mph, so I figured I would go through everything all at once. My plan is to buy a complete disk brake conversion kit from Inlinetube.com. So, if anyone has had a problem with their kits, please let me know.

I am also going to replace all the ball joints, and a-arm bushings. I found a good kit on the CARS site that includes the upper a-arm bushings and the rod they go on. I assume I need to replace these 64-65 specific parts when doing the rest of the suspension???? They are a little pricey. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to test them to see if they really need to be replaced. The next area is the center link, should I also replace it and or have it rebuilt by CARS? There again it is pricey. I have my doubts about the $89 replacement part.

I really want to do this right and I want to do it once. So if you can share any previous experience with these parts and how to determine if I need to replace them will be appreciated.
Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: disk brake and suspension questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
You shouldn't need to replace the upper control arm bushings on a 65.  They are actually not bushings--they are threaded bearings with grease fittings on them.  I have never seen any worn out before.  A-bodies didn't go to the bushings on the upper A-arms until 66.  Upper ball joints don't wear very much either, so be sure they are a problem before you replace them--they are riveted in.  The lower ball joints are the ones that wear out--they are constantly under the load of the front springs, so they wear alot.  The upper ball joints are just along for the ride to locate the spindle, so they don't carry any load and as long as they have been greased regularly, are usually in great shape. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: disk brake and suspension questions
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
Thanks Brian,

Not having to replace the upper bushings is great. This car was checked over by a good local shop and they couldn't point a finger at any one part in the steering or suspension that might be causing my vibration or possibly wheel bounce, so I am not certain what is wornout. After I read your response I am prone to leaving the upper a-arm in place and rebuilding the bottom a-arm and all the steering linkage. I also find the used original parts in good shape are better than reproduction parts. So my next question is: how do I know if the upper ball joints are shot? Same question with the center link. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon