Author Topic: Returning after 20+ years  (Read 1357 times)

Buick Bruce

Returning after 20+ years
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
I joined J.S. Schuman's 65 GS Registry about 24 years ago after I bought my car in Pasadena from a Buick GS collector named Harry Schulman. I drove it home and parked it in the corner of my new garage for a future project. But now after hitting the double nickel mark I realize there is not enough future ahead and too much past behind to ever get though all my projects.  So it's time to start with my GS.
Harry frequently visited LA junkyards and scrounged nice original stuff to upgrade his GS collection. In addition, he worked in the parts dept. of a Buick dealership and searched the regional dealers for old NOS inventory that fit his cars. When I got the GS, the entire interior was in the trunk, as Harry had recently found a complete power window system and installed it.
The plus aspect of my car is that it shows 38,672 miles and I believe it is original correct mileage. It is an extremely complete rust free car.
The negative aspect is that in its early life, this car must have been driven hard - possibly raced - because it's had a lot of bodywork done and has been repainted at least twice in some areas. It also has a replacement engine, although it is a correct MR code block.
I hope to post some pics in the gallery soon, but for the moment, I have to get back to work on starting the engine. I've replaced the timing set (still had the plastic tooth cam gear) and water pump; reinstalled the cleaned out gas tank; pulled the distributor and got the oil pump primed and circulating. So time to button it all back up with some new plugs and see what happens.

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Returning after 20+ years
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
Glad to see you decided to join us Bruce.

You've got one heck of a unique car and I'm sure there are some interesting stories in it's past (if they only talked!).   :occasion14:

Interesting and very cool mix of cars in the stable.

Can't wait to hear more about your car and see more pictures.

Thanks for joining and by the way.. YOU ARE OFFICALLY MEMBER 100!  Whoo  Hoooo!  :blob7:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:52:34 PM »
 :hello2:
welcome to a very cool site, congrads. on #100.
Glad to see another conv.

Al
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
Welcome aboard! Now does double nickel mean you are just 50 years old? I will be 62 shorty and I am really starting to work on my bucket list. If I could just stop working so I could work on my projects it would all be fine, but then I wouldn't have any money.... :dontknow:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
Bruce - are you still in the Pasadena area?  I'm in Glendora, if you're local, we'll have to hook up for a favorite beverage or three.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Buick Bruce

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
The truth is I'm 55, and my most recent problem is lack of work. I was laid-off after 30+ years in printing. So now I'm trying to figure out if I can turn my restoration hobby into some kind of semi-professional career - at least I have a good backlog of projects in the garage to work on if it goes that way.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
Bruce,

Welcome to the Website and congratulations on being the 100th member. Sorry, no door prizes. I't good to see yet another long time owner aboard. Your convertible looks like a worth while project.

I also am involved in the printing industry, as a brass foil embossing die engraver. The industry will never be the same as it was before the computor boom. Sorry about your employment layoff. This may just the incentive to start your new career in auto restoration. Working on my GS is what I do with my new found spare time between engraving jobs.

Thanks for joining the Registry. Good luck with your GS and your new career.

John Egel
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:46:11 AM by nut465gs »

Buick Bruce

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:36 AM »
I'm hoping to get out this weekend to the San Diego Big 3 swap meet.  Saturday is supposed to rain - but it looks like tomorrow and Sunday will be good.  I ended up having to drop the oil pan and straighten it out as the crank was tapping it a little when it warmed up.  I probably used a floor jack under the front of the pan when I put it away in the corner of my garage in 1986.  Not too much sludge in the bottom and it really needed a new gasket anyway. I put in new front brake shoes, hoses and wheel cylinders all around.  I also had to rebuild the front carb because it was leaking.  When I bought it and drove it home back in 86, my recollection is that it was running on just the rear carb.  I don't remember there being front carb linkage.  So a couple of weeks ago when I got out my box of leftover Carter Carb kits, there was the missing linkage :hello2:! I either saved it off a dual quad Riv project car I bought and sold, or found it at a swap - can't remember for sure now.  Anyway, I got a chance to kick in the front carb for the first time today when I was getting on the freeway for a test run . . . . HOLY SHITE!!! . . . first time I've experienced that much acceleration in any car I've owned - including the 69 Wildcat I drove for many years :drunken_smilie:.
This forum has helped me learn more details about my car in the last month than all the info I'd accumulated over the last 24 years. Thanks to Chris, Mark, Walt, John and others who have helped me out.  I hate to put it up for sale, but I really want to get into my 53 Roadmaster Wagon (what can I say . . . it will never have the performance thrill of the GS, but it has a lot more family sentimental value).