Author Topic: Newbie from Northern California  (Read 1102 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Newbie from Northern California
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
Hi All,

I am a newbie to this board, but I have been on V8BUICK.COM for several years. Bought my first 65 GS Skylark in 1967. It was mostly stock with a four speed, posi, added three two's, and a blast to drive. Relatively fast for the times. I am currently getting ready to build a 65 Bucamino. It will look stock with a four speed, no console, radio delete, no A/C, maybe power steering and brakes. I pretty much have all the parts needed.

I am really glad to find this site, the 65 specific content looks like a great resource.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline GSDavid

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Newbie from Northern California
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:41:09 AM »
Get some pictures of the cars up here!
Would love to see the Bucamino when it gets to the point that it's coming together.  I've thought about that one for quite a while too.  Only thing that I'm lacking for building one is the money, talent, and space. 

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:23:56 AM »
Welcome to the club Kurt.    :occasion14:

The Bucamino would be a very welcome sight around here.

The members here have posted several pictures of a 65 GS and a Skylark two door "wagons" that look really nice.

http://65gs.com/GS_Gallery2/displayimage.php?album=25&pos=10

What you thinking about for a power plant?

I always thought a 65 GSN would be a cool combo (GN + GS). 

Think of it, an all black 65 with GN fender vents, 20" GN style rims and of course a turbo charged nailhead or 3.8 with a modern overdrive auto or 5 speed manual tranny. 

Lower the car 1 1/2" all around (I'm drooling!)

Everytime I think of this project I automatically picture Roger Sears car in my head:

http://65gs.com/GS_Gallery2/displayimage.php?album=23&pos=23

So many ideas, so many cars, so little time and money!    :sad1:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
There is a guy on V8 that put a GN drive train in a 65 and it looks great. Unbelievable how much room is still in the engine compartment.

Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »
Hey Kurt, glad to have you join us! :occasion14:
I remember back when your Buicamino was on ebay....I thought it was so cool.....a full 65 GS 4 speed 401 chassis with an ElCamino body on it..... The ultimate parts hauler! :thumbsup:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the engouragement on my future project. At this time I am working the bugs out of the 65 Bucamino that Walt refers to. I had to build a 900 foot shop with a BendPak so I could start getting serious about my projects. :) The Bucamino looks great, but has some technical issues. As soon as I change the ball joints, pull the original T10 in favor of an experimental regear using an old Saginaw, do something to keep the rear brakes from locking before the front, and solving a few leaks, I am going to let my daughter drive it locally when she turns 16 (and tries to learn a stick-shift with lots of torque). My restrictions on her using the vehicle is that it can't leave the county. In this area, that means local rural roads. While she is using my drivetrain, I will try to figure out the correct procedure to disassemble two El Caminos, at two door sedan (with rust), and a "shorty wagon" to make the real Bucamino. My criteria is that it could have been built by GM in 1965. So all GM parts are fine to use, but no aftermarket suspension etc. I can't wait to get started.....
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon