Author Topic: Generator or Battery Cable Problem Question  (Read 882 times)

Offline blueaggie

• Buick Nut
Generator or Battery Cable Problem Question
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
Today, I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil filter, and changed oil.  For about 12hrs it ran perfect, even drove up & down the street twice.  Then on Sunday morning it hesitated a little, but started. I noticed that my brand new battery was dying way too quickly.  Then I noticed some sparks coming off the positive terminal of the battery when trying to start.  After I had it recharged by Advance, I put the battery in the car and left only the positive cable connected, then went to early dinner.  When I came back it wouldn't even turn on the dash lights. I also noticed that the fuel filter wasn't filling up to put gas into the carb, no fuel pressure again  (This is the reason I put a new fuel pump in initially).  Then I tried jumping from other main car's battery since it seemed dead again. The car finally acted like it wanted to turn over and fuel starting filling the filter again.  However, the engine never started, and sparks flew off the positive terminal again.  Do any of you think it's the alternator/generator or a bad positive battery cable from the engine?  As a side note, the positive cable covered about half the positive terminal but wouldn't go down farther, if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:52:55 PM by blueaggie »

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Generator or Battery Cable Problem Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
Are you saying there are sparks coming off the positive battery terminal while it is connected?
If that is the case, I'd say there is a bad connection. Clean the post and cable and try again. Both the post and cable end are tapered. Try turning the cable over and see if it fits the post better.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline blueaggie

• Buick Nut
Re: Generator or Battery Cable Problem Question
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
Are you saying there are sparks coming off the positive battery terminal while it is connected?
If that is the case, I'd say there is a bad connection. Clean the post and cable and try again. Both the post and cable end are tapered. Try turning the cable over and see if it fits the post better.

You're close, but the battery was new, so I bought a new positive polarity battery cable and it seems ok!  Thanks for the quick suggestion though.  I love this site!