Author Topic: Rear Quarter Panel Availability  (Read 637 times)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
Rear Quarter Panel Availability
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
I see that I am starting to get some rust through around the rear wheel lip on both sides of my car.  The car was painted before I got it, presumably for a quick sell. It was also hit in the rear end and the trunk lid lines don't match the opening. 

I would like to get a new set of rear quarter panels, but not sure if anyone makes them. I've looked through all the sources and can't find any.  Does anyone know if I am missing a proper source?
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rear Quarter Panel Availability
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
I too am still looking for OEM Quarter panel skins

I found a set of the Wolf panels on craigslist last year, they were the big panels. I emailed the seller to get more info here's his reply:

" I restore cars for a living and all aftermarket quarter panels need some type of tweeking regardless where you buy  the last pair I bought from wolf were pretty decent only needed minor tweaking which is the norm"

What I have read and understand is that the big panels are "made to order"
I have found OEM panels on craigslist or ebay the problem I have is getting people to  ship them. Last year I found a near perfect set in Vancouver BC but the seller would not ship! Pick-up Only

My search continues

JimL
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
Thanks, Jim.  I did find those Wolf panels you mentioned. They are somewhere up on Canada.  I see the quarter panel is not a full panel, but goes about 4 inches above the wheel well opening.

I don't do body work, so I'll talk to my favorite body shop to see if that will work.

BTW, I called Goodmark to just verify that they don't make these panels.  They said that they do not make them. Shame that a Chevelle won't work. Those are available about everywhere except the local Quik Trip.

Ted
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
As you are discovering, there are no full aftermarket panels available for our '65s. The Wolf panels you have found are the only answer for aftermarket pieces.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
There is another thread going right now on this site where kcombs has a complete rust free rear clip for sale out in CA.  That would fix your rust and alignment issues:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3565.msg25084;topicseen#msg25084
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »
Some of us have used the wolf panels for patch repair,but if your wheel well is gone at all I would seek used. The earlier post with the rear clip would be an excellent option even if you bought it in pieces for easier shipping. John E. and I both used the patch panels with good results,but they are not a direct fit and require a lot of piecework for nice results.