Author Topic: Interest in reproduction battery cables  (Read 465 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Interest in reproduction battery cables
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:28:37 PM »
    I'm in discussion with a custom battery cable maker about reproducing cables for the 65 GS.  I haven't concluded details yet, but thought I would share some information and gauge potential interest in a group buy.  Here's what I've asked for:

Negative cable:  GM part number is 2983776. Cable is 17 ½” long, 2 gauge wire with black insulation.   Battery termination is bolt through clamp style.  The other end is terminated with a standard lug with 3/8” diameter hole.  It also has an auxiliary lead for body ground, 15” long, 14 gauge wire with black insulation, terminated with a round eyelet with ¼” diameter "toothed ID"hole.

Positive cable:  GM part number is 2989274.  Cable is 25” long, 2 gauge wire with red insulation.  Battery termination is bolt through clamp style.  The other end is terminated with a standard lug with 3/8” diameter hole.

While the details aren't final, there are a few caveats that I know about where there will be differences from originals, such as:
    • Battery terminals will be tin plated copper, not cast lead
    • Battery terminals can be either crimped or soldered.  Not sure how this was done originally, but suspect the cables were cast into the terminals.  So, I've asked for soldered connections.
    • There is currently no capability to include part numbers on the cables.  He says his wire supplier can print on cables, but he'll need to find out what their minimum run would be before he could offer it.  Another option is to have the part numbers applied in a separate process.

If anyone (Mark or Brian?) have an original set of cables, can you take a closeup picture of each part number on the cables and measure the height and length of the numbers, please?  And how is the number applied?  For example stamped ink, stamped and embossed, "branded" in with heat, etc.

So for now, I'd like to hear how many of you would be interested in purchasing cable sets, assuming the caveats mentioned, particularly with no part numbers for now.  Also, how many would be interested only if part numbers can be included?  From discussions so far, I estimate the cost for a set of positive and negative cables without part numbers will be in the $50-60 range, plus shipping. No estimate will be available for cables with part numbers until feasibility is confirmed and cost for the part numbering can be determined.  With that information in hand, I will try to get a larger discount for higher quantities.

The attached pictures were sent as examples of the original configuration.

Enjoy this holiday weekend.  God bless all those that we remember and celebrate this weekend!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Interest in reproduction battery cables
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Hi Chuck,

Brian has a set of original cables on his car. Sean Rogers made a run of repro cables 20-25 years ago. That is what is on my car.
They were copied from an original set. The numbers were just ink stamped on, not embossed or anything. I'll shoot a couple of pics
tomorrow, GS is finally coming outside - first time this year.

FYI, NAPA has cables in the right colors and close to the right length.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:45:16 PM by Mark Ascher »
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
Chuck , I,m in for a set . 
Heck , I,m so far under budget on this car I,d take 2 sets  :icon_biggrin:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »
I would be in for set just to help the project get going.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
Remind me later in the week Chuck and I will get some more pics for you.  The pic you posted above of a set on a car is of my car.  Note that they have a 5/16 bolt in each terminal, but the nut takes a 9/16 wrench instead of a 1/2 like standard.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
Thanks Brian.  The details on the head size of the bolts is one of those little details that might be a problem.  We'll see.  I'll check back later this week for more pictures.

Mark, I know you've sent part numbers for the NAPA cables and I looked them up, but they didn't seem right for our cars.  The positive cable MPB781127 is 4 ga instead of 2 ga and NAPAonline doesn't recognize the negative number MPB781167 that you referenced.  That's why I decided to check on other options that would at least get closer to originals.

Thanks again!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline lostark98

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
Hi Chuck,

How is it going with the repro battery cables? If they're available, I'd love to grab a set!

Ken
Ken

1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Coupe

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Hi Ken,

Sorry, I've been busy lately and haven't followed up with the cable supplier since just after the BCA Nationals last month.  I'll do that next week and post an update.

Thanks for your interest!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100