Author Topic: Gauge Cluster Removal Difficulty  (Read 341 times)

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
Gauge Cluster Removal Difficulty
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
I have been trying to remove my gauge cluster so I can remove my non functioning clock and try to figure out why the instrument lights mysteriously stopped working. 

I removed the dash pad with no problems. Then I removed the trim around the gauge cluster and the heater control bezel.  The speedo cable came out with the help of a set of channel locks.  I can't, however, figure out show to get the damned thing out.  The manual says to do what I just did, then to just remove the cluster.  It seems to be wedged in the opening on the dash.  Do I need to drop the steering column or something like that?  The problem seems to be with the opening and not the column, but I'm not sure about that.

While I am on that subject, what do you all recommend as far as the clock is concerned. I see that OPGI has a helpie selfie quartz conversion kit that they sell for $110.  I have not had good luck with helpie selfie stuff like that and I'm cautious of dumping that amount of money into something that may not work.  I found a place in Wisconsin that does the conversion.  They say the cost ranges from $140 to $230, depending upon what it is.  I planned to call them on Monday to get a better quote.  Is the helpie selfie kit OK or should I spend the extra money to have this clock place do the conversion?

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions. 
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Gauge Cluster Removal Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »
Yes, you need to loosen the two nuts to allow the steering column to drop down some.

As for the clock,  I have disassemble them, cleaned, lightly lubricated with WD40, cleaned the contact with a points file and got them to work again.  Really a neat little design. 

Here is a link to a quartz clock conversion kit on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quartz-Conversion-Clock-Repair-Kit-R-3015-with-Instructional-DVD-/371537829850?fits=Year%3A1965%7CMake%3ABuick&hash=item5681615fda:g:yNYAAOSwFqJWoSAL&vxp=mtr

Loren
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:27:27 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline gearhead46

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
Excellent!! Thank you Loren.  I'll loosen those 2 nuts and try the removal after that.

I guess I'll take my clock apart and see if I can get it working like you said you have done before.

Ted
Professor Gearhead
65 Gran Sport Sport Coupe
57 Buick Special 2 dr Hardtop
57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Ted,

You need to bend the tabs out to get the back cover off.  Take your time and go gently with that.  Keep in mind, you need to bend those back in place to hold the clock face and back cover together. You also need to remove the terminal from the back.
Now you can get to the clock works. 
Use some light air pressure to blow dirt and dust out of the clock works, caned air for cleaning computer parts works well.
Then you can spray a little WD40 on the clock assembly followed by some light air pressure.
Look around the clock works and find the electrical points. Gently pull the points apart and let it return on it's own. At this point, if the mechanism is in working order, it will run till the points close.  Typically these clocks stop working due to the points getting burned. I file the points with a "points file" , I think it is older then I am. haha You can clean the points with fine sand paper, it will take longer though.  Probably 240 grit followed by 320 grit paper should do. The finer the point surfaces are, the longer the clock will work.
Now you can test the electrical part of the clock. I use two wires with alligator clips on them and a 12 volt battery. Attach one wire to the frame of the clock assembly and the negative terminal of the battery. Now you can connect the other wire to the terminal point on the clock and the positive battery post. If you have cleaned the points well, the clock will start working with a "snap". It will run on the spring mechanism as the points slowly close and again "snap" it starts all over again.
I usually let it run for a few hours before putting it back together.

Good luck,
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
I 2nd everything Loren has said here on fixing the clock.  I have fixed many of them over the years using this same method.  WD-40 is the trick to getting the mechanism moving again.  I have actually taken some apart that were still cocked from the last firing, but stopped turning due to friction in the system.  Before I did anything, I sprayed WD-40 on the gears, and immediately the clock started turning and everything worked perfectly.  Be very careful when filing the points--parts in these clocks are very delicate and if you bend something, that will likely be the end of it. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

Just one more thing to add, you can remove the clock without taking the entire cluster out. 
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Quartz clock upgrades work well. (Re: Gauge Cluster Removal Difficulty)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Dear Ted, Loren, Brian, sjfd04 and mid-60s Buick owners who want to know what time it is,

If you can't get your clock working with the advice given here, you could upgrade with a quartz movement.  You can buy an upgrade kit and do it yourself, although it involves working with some very small parts.  Alternatively, you can have the outfits that sell the kits do the upgrade for you.  There are two outfits that do this sort of thing - Omicron clock:

http://omicronclock.auctivacommerce.com/

and ISI Instruments:

https://www.clocksandgauges.com/

I upgraded my 1965 Special wagon with a clock and had Omicron Clock install a quartz moment.  I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of the clock.  So if you would like to have a clock that reliably keeps the time, there is a reasonable option.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: