Author Topic: Mom's first car frame off resto  (Read 825 times)

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
Mom's first car frame off resto
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Finally getting around to posting some pics of our resto. A little out of the ordinary to post the finished product first but oh well. I'll get some more pictures up so you can see the starting point and points of progress.

Mom became the 2nd owner of this Skylark Sport Coupe in 1967. It was her daily for many years until the car started having major repair issues in the early 80's. Instead of getting rid of it, my folks decided to keep it with the "one-day" aspiration of restoring it.

Fast forward 25+ years to 2009 when my folks decided to "start" restoring it. That's where I came in. Over the next several years we performed a complete frame-off rest-mod restoration that completed last spring. All of the non-stock decisions were authorized by Mom. Particularly the upgrades to the drivetrain and suspension.

Some of the notable mods/resto details:

Motor - 462, 10:1, TA-310 CAM, 68 big port heads w/ minor porting and polishing and Stage I valve conversion, Performer Intake, Headers, FAST EZ EFI. Built by JW. Dyno'd at 455hp@5000 520ft-lbs@4000.

Trans - 2004r built by JW. Speed activated OD controller.

Rear - 71 GM 10 bolt posi. 3.73 gears. Built by JW.

Suspension - Front and rear sway bars. Front discs, rear drums. Boxed control arms. Rear frame connectors (like the gs cars have). All new suspension components.

Interior - Completely new using Legendary. Steering wheel by McIntyre. Resto of dash, dashpad (putting one of Loren's repro's in soon (thanks Loren!!)), AC Ports, arm rests (tpp repro's), etc. by your truly.

Body/Exterior - Chrome done by JR Custom Plating in North Branch, MN. Stainless and Aluminum resto by me. Hubcaps restored by Iverson Automotive, Minnetonka, MN. Body work and paint by PoJo's in Gilman, MN. Final Assembly by JW and me (Ascher pulled on some wrenches too).

We are very happy and proud of the results.

This resto wouldn't have come out the way it did, in the amount of time it did, without the great people on this site. And for that, we thank you sincerely. You've truly helped at least one more 65 come back to like new condition!

Now for the pics. Enjoy!

Tony

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Great story! Thanks for sharing! (Re: Mom's first car frame off resto)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick owners who's cars are members of the family,

Mom became the 2nd owner of this Skylark Sport Coupe in 1967. It was her daily for many years until the car started having major repair issues in the early 80's. Instead of getting rid of it, my folks decided to keep it with the "one-day" aspiration of restoring it.

. . . .

Fast forward 25+ years to 2009 when my folks decided to "start" restoring it. That's where I came in. Over the next several years we performed a complete frame-off rest-mod restoration that completed last spring. All of the non-stock decisions were authorized by Mom. Particularly the upgrades to the drivetrain and suspension.

Great story!  I'm glad to hear about another car that stayed in the family all these many years!

Motor - 462, 10:1, TA-310 CAM, 68 big port heads w/ minor porting and polishing and Stage I valve conversion, Performer Intake, Headers, FAST EZ EFI. Built by JW. Dyno'd at 455hp@5000 520ft-lbs@4000.

Hmm, so Mom wanted something a little bit more assertive!  :laughing7:

Trans - 2004r built by JW. Speed activated OD controller.

Interesting . . . So JW had added 200-4R transmissions to his services.

Now for the pics. Enjoy!

Thanks for the pics!   :hello2:

Could you perhaps post for us a few photos the interior and engine bay?

Thanks for sharing!  It is definitely one happy ending!  :love4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Mom's first car frame off resto
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
Congratulations, great story too! Will we see the car at your party?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Hi Jim,

Yep, the car and my folks will be there. They'll be in their glory with the get together and all the cars just like theirs.

Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
She's a beauty, Tony.  Looking forward to meeting her, you and your folks next month!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
Thanks for posting, great story.  Looking forward to seeing the project soon.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »
That's a nicely built car, with a great choice of parts! ...You have a very cool mom!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Georick

• Buick Nut