Author Topic: 1965 Skylark for sale on Dallas CL  (Read 787 times)

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 1965 Skylark for sale on Dallas CL
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:33:02 PM »
Love this line!!

Motor is in good shape, but does not run.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »
And it also has a 'Leather Interior'!!!  (must be from a plastic cow tho!)
Still, it looks like a decent entry-level project car for the price.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
I got all excited until I saw the engine bay.  No brother for Dusty.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Beware of double trouble! (Re: 1965 Skylark for sale on Dallas CL)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick fans of . . . . . more!!!

I got all excited until I saw the engine bay.  No brother for Dusty.

. . . . Okay, I see your point.  If Dusty had a brother you could do 1965 Buicks in stereo!! . . . . . . .

Uh seriously, unless you are really sure you want two, you might want to stick to one for now!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
One will do. He needs to go see the electrical  technician, he does  not want to wake up. Checked all the obvious  reasons , but no cigar.   Tech is kind of busy so I'm waiting. This car here  looked  pretty good  for 2 seconds  😂

kicking Dust

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Does Dusty have a trickle charger? (Was: 1965 Skylark for sale)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:32:34 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick electricians, . . .

One will do. He needs to go see the electrical  technician, he does  not want to wake up. Checked all the obvious  reasons , but no cigar.   

. . . Maybe you need a louder alarm clock!! . . .

Seriously, how often do you get Dusty on the road?  Unless you are putting more miles than are prudent for a classic car, perhaps your problem is that the battery isn't getting recharged by the alternator.  I resisted getting a trickle charger, but finally I was converted and have one for each of our Buicks.  I followed the recommendations on this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3465.0

For my trusty wagon I bought the Battery Tender Jr. and for the 2000 Century I bought the standard Battery Tender.  I haven't set up my wagon to recharge while not in use because the battery isn't in the car.  I just keep the battery charged while waiting for the engine to come back from TA-Performance.  On the 2000 Century I added a feed to the battery and ran the wires where I could easily reach them.  When the car comes back into the garage, I connect the Battery Tender to the car and let it recharge the battery.  The tender then keeps it charged until the next outing.  These trickle charges appear to be the best choice to keep a battery in a less frequently used vehicle healthy.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
I thought it might be the battery , but no. It is not even trying to start..  Since is summer I am  pretty busy at work. I'm sure the tech would figure it out. I was driving him quite a bit.

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
I thought it might be the battery , but no. It is not even trying to start..  Since is summer I am  pretty busy at work. I'm sure the tech would figure it out. I was driving him quite a bit.

Have you cleaned the battery clamps? They can get just enough corrosion to create a no start or no turn over condition. They also need to be fairly tight to the battery posts.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

Have you cleaned the battery clamps? They can get just enough corrosion to create a no start or no turn over condition. They also need to be fairly tight to the battery posts.
The post are brand new.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »

The post are brand new.

Everything is new battery, clamps, wires. I even had them replace the distributor again, that was only 1 yr old.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Check the starter solenoid!

If you turn the key, and there is absolutely nothing, that would be suspect.  The solenoid can be tested using a simple test lamp.
First check for power at the large terminal on the starter solenoid. The test lamp should light. Then need to check for power at the small terminals when the key is turned to start. If the lamp lights and the starter does not work, it is the solenoid.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
There is also a 'Neutral Safety Switch' on the transmission gear selector. (column shift, right?).
It's purpose is to only let the car start in 'park' or 'neutral'. You can try moving the shifter around and see if the starter will turn.

Faulty ignition switch is another possibility.
The tech should figure it out.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
There is also a 'Neutral Safety Switch' on the transmission gear selector. (column shift, right?).
It's purpose is to only let the car start in 'park' or 'neutral'. You can try moving the shifter around and see if the starter will turn.

Faulty ignition switch is another possibility.
The tech should figure it out.

Thanks for adding that Walt.  The solenoid was one that recently troubled my youngest daughters car.   It was intermittent also.
Made it fun to find. Every time I got to look at it , darn thing started fine. So even testing didn't show it faulty.  Turned out it would get heat soaked, not start, cool down enough and then start. The little devil finally went toast permanently. Fixed it!

Testing at the solenoid at the pull in winding terminal would indicate trouble or not further up line. No power at the pull in terminal would indicate neutral safety switch or ignition switch issue possible.

Loren 
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Might need trickle charger eventually (Was: 1965 Skylark for sale)
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »
Dear Barb, Tom, Loren, Walt, and mid-60s Buick "natives," . . . .

. . . Darn it Barb!  See what you did?  You got all the natives . . . . restless!! . . . . 

I thought it might be the battery , but no. It is not even trying to start.. 

Okay it may not be the battery and you've got a bunch of suggestions that you might be able to check out for yourself.  Certainly the 'Neutral Safety Switch' is an easy one to investigate.  Try wiggling the transmission lever and see if that makes any difference.  If the switch is worn moving the lever that might enough to restore contact and make Dusty turn over after all.

Still perhaps you should keep the trickle charger idea in the back of your head come autumn and winter (or summer monsoons.)  If you decide that you don't want Dusty to suffer in wet weather, he might need a trickle charger for extended periods of bad weather.

Best of luck in figuring out why Dusty won't wake up!  :icon_thumright: