Author Topic: GS value article  (Read 490 times)

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
GS value article
« on: April 29, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
Have you seen the article on 65GS value in the June Hemmings Motor News. It highlites what we all know, our cars are very under valued. But did we need them to list a average price of $14,000. SAD.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
I'll have to read it for myself. (Re: GS value article)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
Dear Glenn and mid-60s Buick lovers, . . .  :love4:

Have you seen the article on 65GS value in the June Hemmings Motor News. It highlites what we all know, our cars are very under valued. But did we need them to list a average price of $14,000. SAD.

I haven't received my June Hemmings yet, so I can't read this one for myself.  Alas, if Hemmings claims a car value, odds are they have the sales data to prove it.  On the other hand, the low value could spur some interest which would eventually raise the value.

That's as optimistic as I can get!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: GS value article
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
That's coincidental that you guys are talking 65 GS values because I was just on the NADA site looking up some national average prices. I don't know where Hemmings gets their info,but the average 65 GS (average condition,not show cars) has a median price around 18k. This is based on real time sales and title transfer information nationwide. The reason I looked it up is because I am going to sell my post car in order to finish my convertible. I can also say that we sold a 65 skylark for $12,500 a couple years ago and it resold for more when that owner decided to relocate. At any rate,don't get duped into thinking you can have an old car repainted for what some of these guys are telling you your stuff is worth. The economy and real time figures are subject to change with supply and demand. It was not that long ago that 69 Z28's  tripled in price overnight,and a lot of guys(me)sold 40k cars for $16,500 thinking we were doing well.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
I like that old post car, too bad I'm saving for retirement.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
Without seeing "value" sorted at least by body type and condition, any "average" is useless IMO. 

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
That is no doubt true because it only takes one nice car at 50K and three  $5000 project cars to put an average price over 13k....these articles are not specific to anything other than 65 skylark national sales data. Worse yet...if you go to list your 65 Skylark on eBay....it suggests a starting price for you based on these averages. Of course it does not differentiate GS,options,condition(used cars are apparently all the same condition)...so you have to be careful buying or selling. I tend to rate cars as projects,drivers,or restored...but the real world often sees scrap metal as projects(no way anyone could ever realistically restore)and values would be easier to determine if they were based on a cars actual condition at the time of sale. Of course,you occasionally get the low mileage grandma car that brings more than a restored version just because of its condition. Anyone who has ever restored anything could tell you that 14K won't buy a nice A-body anything....Buicks,Olds,Chevys,Pontiacs all bring decent money if done right and the rare cars can bring stupid money. They sometimes try to set these prices on YOUR stuff,but nobody seems to care about it and that is why you only see typical cars selling in these ranges. The cheapest restored 65 GS I have seen lately was 38K.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Honest article - more positive than not. (Re: GS value article)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 04:44:58 PM »
Dear Glenn, Dan, Jim, John, and fans of mid-60s Buick muscle,

Okay, my copy of the June Hemmings finally showed up so I could read the article for myself.  I thought the article was mostly positive and factual.  It offered a lot of good reasons to get a 1965 Gran Sport.  I think their assessment of the market value was reasonable given it's intent.  After all, this is assessment of the 1965 GS as a likely project car for turning a profit.  There are people who make a living flippin' cars, and they count on sources like Hemmings to decide on the cars that will given sufficient return on their investment to make it worthwhile.  Hemmings has to be very objective in these matters because making money on classic cars is plenty tough!

I guess is that "car flippers" are small minority of the classic car community.  The rest aren't in it for profit but for the enjoyment of driving unique and exciting cars.  So for the majority, the article should have been a genuine teaser to consider a rare and unique car.  Perhaps we'll have a few more folks come to this forum (and the BCA division) thanks to this article.

So think positive!   :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: