Author Topic: Trickle charger recommendations?  (Read 845 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Trickle charger recommendations?
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick battery tenders,

In California you normally can get your classic out at least once in a while during the winter, so a trickle charger isn't really needed.  However with the engine for my trusty wagon headed to TA-Performance, I need to keep the battery in good shape until the engine gets back.  I have a general purpose battery charger from Black and Decker, but that company doesn't seem to have much of a reputation for battery chargers.  Looking at the choices on Amazon, the Battery Tender Jr. is the #1 best seller in trickle chargers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Since I have a general purpose charger, I really need a dedicated trickle charger.  So this looks like it would fit the bill.  So what do you guys use for trickle chargers?  Is this a safe choice or should I consider something else?

A curious mind would like to now!  :read2:

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Trickle charger recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
That's the one I use Edouard.

Dan

1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »
I have one of those too only the next bigger model. Also got a nice one for that price at Advance Auto Parts locally that I'm very happy with. (and my friend rang it up)
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
Just buy a solar battery tender and save those electric bills from piling. I use one on my boat and it works excellent if you get sunny days half the time.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks guys! (Re: Trickle charger recommendations?)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »
Dear Dan, Jim, Dan, and mid-60s Buick electricians,

That's the one I use Edouard.

Well that's a good recommendation!  Jim, I think I stick to the simpler model since my all purpose charger is for the moment working fine.  This is purely to keep the battery charged.

Just buy a solar battery tender and save those electric bills from piling. I use one on my boat and it works excellent if you get sunny days half the time.

:icon_biggrin: . . . . Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea except for one inconvenient truth.  The garage is at the bottom of a two story house!  Running that cable from the solar panel to the garage could be a long-winded proposition!  :icon_scratch:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Nifty little device! (Re: Trickle charger recommendations?)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick electricians,

I ordered a Battery Tender Jr. from Amazon and it arrived today.  I had my wagon's battery on my general purpose charger, but it doesn't have the float mode.  It just monitors the voltage until it drops below a certain level and tops it up once more.  I didn't realize that Battery Tender Jr. has such a long connection cord.  I was able to plug it directly into a wall outlet and still run the cable to battery.  That's really convenient.  You can easily see the status LED even if the battery is for the moment on the floor of the garage.

When I connected the battery, it started in its charging mode and it took less than 15 minutes to determine that the battery was at 80%.  In another 10-15 minutes the status light was a solid green and the battery is now protected for the duration.  If you have a car that you drive infrequently, this model may be indeed too weak to bring the battery up from the discharging needed to get the car started.  On the other hand, if you have the battery mostly charged, the Battery Tender Jr. will definitely take good care of your battery while being kind to your wallet!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
I have two Battery Tender Jr.  One for the Buick, and one for my travel trailer batteries. Have had both of them for years, and I'm very happy with them. Every once in a while they will show up at Costco. Otherwise, Amazon.

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Costco? Interesting! (Re: Trickle charger recommendations?)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
Dear Keith and thrifty owners of mid-60s Buicks,

I have two Battery Tender Jr.  . . . .  Every once in a while they will show up at Costco. Otherwise, Amazon.

I got mine from Amazon.  I didn't think to check Costco.  I'll try to cruise the auto parts section more often.  Thanks for the tip!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »
It's summer, so hopefully we are all driving our cars to keep the battery charged!
But today I got this e-mail from my insurance company about preventing fires caused by battery maintainers. Worth reading to prevent a tragedy:
https://condonskelly.com/blog/avoiding-fires-while-your-collector-car-is-in-storage/

Here's the body of the article:
>>>Many of us use battery maintainers when we don’t drive our collector cars for lengthy periods of time, but few of us knew that the battery maintainers could be a potential problem unless we take a few prevention steps.  We recently visited with a large and well-respected auto restoration shop which deals with a lot of very expensive vehicles.  The owner of the shop told us that he had three clients over the past year who had fires, much like the fire that John had with his 1970 Charger, all due to the battery maintainers.  Those clients of the shop sustained significant damage to their vehicles and homes.  One of the clients had some extensive investigation done to determine the exact cause of the fire, and it was found that the battery maintainer had caught on fire because of a power surge.  Apparently, power surges could cause a battery maintainer to catch on fire.  The shop has over a hundred battery maintainers, and they unplug each of them every night, and plug them back in every morning, under the fear that a fire could occur overnight when nobody is at the shop.  We’ve heard these things before from others, so it’s time we found a method of prevention.

Since the issue of a power surge seems to be a possible trigger for fires with battery maintainers, we recommend that everyone using a battery maintainer consider having it plugged into a surge protector, which are readily available as small single units or multi-unit power strips.  We know that different surge protectors are not all equivalent, and some can handle larger power surges.  If a power surge is powerful enough it might cause the surge protector to fail, and the power surge would then get to the battery maintainer, potentially causing a fire.  So, although surge protectors are inexpensive, you should consider getting one that has high power protection ratings.  Often the ratings are in joules.  A rating of 600 joules is good, but a rating of 1,000 joules (or higher) is better.

The next thing to consider using is a fire-resistant bag/box for the battery maintainer to sit in when it’s in use.  Those items are flexible fire-resistant fold-up boxes that are available in different sizes, so you can find them to fit whatever size battery maintainers that you’re using.  The fire-resistant boxes are sometimes described as “fire proof”, but almost nothing is actually fire proof, so we’ll refer them as “fire resistant”.  The ones we’re describing are intended for use when charging or transporting LIPO batteries (used in certain remote-control toys) which are known to sometimes catch fire, so these boxes should be useful for containing any fire that originates at the battery maintainer.  If you use the search words “LIPO Safe” in one of the large global online retailers, such as the one that’s named after a big river in South America, you’ll find lots of the fire-resistant boxes in different sizes, for fairly inexpensive prices.  We bought several sizes, and the average price was around $5 each.  Try to avoid the boxes that have only one layer of fire resistant material.  Instead, you want to buy the ones that have a double layer of fire resistant material, because those will better contain a fire, and are less likely to have a burn-through.  The battery maintainer should be completely inside the fire-resistant box, and the cords can go out any of the sides.  Most of the fire-resistant boxes have Velcro closures, but the boxes are not air tight, so there is ventilation, but generally not enough for a fire to burn as it might without this extra protection.
<<<<<

Another tip is to put the battery charger on a timer so it only runs a few hours a day.

We should revisit this topic in the winter as a reminder to keep safe!

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
Walt,

Thank you for this important information.  Something I had not considered with the battery maintainer I have that is in constant use.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »
What I don't get is why should we treat this appliance (the battery maintainer) any different than other appliances in the house..Should we be unplugging everything in the house when we aren't using it? The toaster? The washing machine? Television? What about stuff hardwired into the house, like the AC or the dishwasher? What is unique about a battery maintainer that makes it more susceptible than other electrical devices to power surges?
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
Wow, I have three maintainers, sometimes all in use at once. I will get surge protectors. I do use protectors for the televisions and high priced appliance to protect from surges. I do like the Advance Auto Parts maintainer the best of the 3 I have. The Auto Meter one works good too but doesn?t give all the information like the Advance does. Good info Walt.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Sounds like a faulty design. (Re: Trickle charger recommendations?)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Dear Walt, Loren, Keith, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks Walt for the info, but I have to agree with the majority - something doesn't add up here.  A low amperage battery charger shouldn't be at any risk of catching fire.  3 amps at 12 volts requires only 0.3 amps of 120 volt house current - when charging.  In standby mode, the current draw should be negligible.   If collectors are reporting fires, the problem is real, but the problem has to be with the design of some of these devices.  It would have been much more helpful to have received reports of which brands and models of chargers caught fire.

As it turns out, I have a surge protector for one of my chargers.  I could get one for the other.  It is an inexpensive precaution.  Sadly, the power grid isn't as stable as it once was and caution is the better part of valor.  However, I think the more important decision is to buy a battery charger from a trusted brand.  Also, you might want to be cautious about new models of chargers.  Unfortunately, politicians are meddling in our lives even for devices like battery chargers.  California has mandated that all "always on" devices become more energy efficient.  Engineers squeezed by this sort of nonsense mandates could be forced to compromise safety in order to meet the efficiency requirements.

Sadly, "such are da' conditions that prevail. . . . . . "

Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
Maybe(?)  the fire threat is largely due to the enormous current potential of the battery the charger is connected to. A malfunction in the charger could cause hundreds of amps of current to flow thru the changer and..... poof!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
I must be to cheap or overly protective OR BOTH . I don,t use a maintainer for the simple reason I don,t like anything plugged in or on when i,n not around .
My thinking is 1st , how much money do I have invested in my car or cars .  2nd , how much is my building worth , with all the misc. contents .
All i do is disconnect the cables and maybe once a winter throw a slow charge on the batteries and done . If I loose a battery over it so be it .
I know a battery is a 100 bucks but put that into perspective of what you could be risking . I almost always get at least 5 years out of my batteries and thats about how long they last so not really out anything anyway .
Now if a person was to have say 20 plus cars then a guy might want to look into something to help preserve the batteries .
Thats just my 2 cents worth and what I do  .     I did have to put 2 new batteries in my 84 chevy truck this spring but I looked at the date I installed them and they were almost 7 years old . :cheers2:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects