Author Topic: 2018 Buick Regal TourX station wagon?  (Read 139 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
2018 Buick Regal TourX station wagon?
« on: April 17, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

While cruising through the eBay parts for my trusty wagon I was compelled to click on a puzzling advertising link by Buick:

http://www.buick.com/regal-tourx-mid-size-luxury-wagon/

This is a pre-production 4-wheel drive mid-sized luxury wagon.  Details are very sketchy, but the drive-train is a 2 liter turbocharged engine matched to an 8-speed automatic transmission.

I suppose the good news for Buick longroof lover is that Buick is finally making another wagon.  As to bad news . . . . . well this vehicle isn't exactly giving me warm fuzzes.  :icon_scratch:

Oh well, . . . . . . Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 2018 Buick Regal TourX station wagon?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:41:30 PM »
I like it!
Very aggressive styling and a dash that looks like it came from a Mustang or Camaro! Very well done.
I question how much demand there is for a station wagon vs a suv or crossover tho. The Dodge Magnum (last built in 2008) fits into a similar category but offers much more horsepower.... I wish Buick would at least offer a turbo V6.
The 2018 Regal has similar styling..... but needs more hp under the hood to catch the attention of us old Buick enthusiasts. The hatchback rear is a nice touch, making the cargo area much more useful.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Bigger engine someday? (Re: 2018 Buick Regal TourX station wagon?)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick longroof fans,

I question how much demand there is for a station wagon vs a suv or crossover tho. The Dodge Magnum (last built in 2008) fits into a similar category but offers much more horsepower.... I wish Buick would at least offer a turbo V6.

That's exactly my beef with it.  I know what GM is doing.  They are using the 8 speed transmission to keep the engine higher up in the power band.  That might be good enough to make pleasant, but that poor engine is going to working really hard and will invariably wear out much more quickly.  Anybody who expects to hang on to a car like this will be disappointed in the durability.

On the other hand, the fellows on V-8 Buick claim this car is actually a rebranded Opel Insignia.  If so, then this car has had robust V-8s in the past according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Insignia

Perhaps someday, Buick will put a power-plant into this model that will make it truly worthy of Buick's sportier models.

Cheers, Edouard