Author Topic: Upgrading garage door open to LED shop lights  (Read 429 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Upgrading garage door open to LED shop lights
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who like illuminated spaces,

Newer garage door openers come with motion sensor activated lighting.  It is a handy feature because frequently your hands are full around the garage and this spares you the hassle of freeing up a hand to turn on the lights.  Alas, the lighting that is turned on is typically two dull 60 watt bulbs like this:

That's good enough to avoid bumping into things, but hardly good enough to see what's in your trunk or what's going on under the hood.  With the LED revolution in lighting, shop lights are getting brighter while using much less power.  Recently, Costco had a sale on 4 foot LED shop lights which use an amazingly small 17 watts, but are at least as bright as the old twin 40 watt fluorescent tube shop lights.  It occurred to me that I could power 2 LED shop lights and still use about 1/2 the power of the old 60 watt bulbs that were in the garage door opener.

In order to make this work, I used an adapter to convert a light bulb socket into a standard electric plug.  Here is an example on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-54276-Polarized-Handy-Outlet/dp/B002DN6QX2

I then simply ran some extension cords from the opener drive unit to the LED shop lights.  Since very little power is involved, this is a perfectly safe arrangement.  Here is what our garage looks like now:

The photo is actually deceptive, the garage is much brighter than this photo suggests!  Of course it helps a great deal that the walls and ceiling are finished and painted white.  The reflective surface does help spread the light everywhere. 

This isn't a scheme that would provide enough light for a restoration garage, but for your daily-driver garage it is a way to make things more practical and pleasant especially during the winter months.  With the reduced power consumption, the upgrade will eventually pay for itself.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Upgrading garage door open to LED shop lights
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
You might want to reposition those....the lights are blocked when the door is open!

Costco occasionally has dual bulb 4 ft led lights on sale for about $25.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Compromises, compromises! (Re: Upgrading garage to LED shop lights)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick garage decorators,

You might want to reposition those....the lights are blocked when the door is open!

Yes I know!  I thought about it and decided that when the door is open there is plenty of ambient light.  I can't think of a reason why I would keep the garage door open at night.  Since I wanted the light over the trunk of our Buick Century (and the hood of my trusty wagon,) that's were these lights had to be located.  When the door is open, the other two pair of lights are still useful since that side of the garage is darker.

Costco occasionally has dual bulb 4 ft led lights on sale for about $25.

Right now the best deal I can find at Costco is a 2-pack for $60:

https://www.costco.com/4%e2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

However, it appears anybody can buy those online.  There is no additional discount for members.  Still, you are correct, best to wait for a sale.

Cheers, Edouard
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:26:25 PM by elagache »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear mid-60s Buick luminaries,

I took another picture of the new lighting at night to give a better impression of how well the garage is lit:

Alas, I goofed when I claimed these lights only use 17 watts.  I got Feit electric's LED replacements for 4' fluorescent tubes confused with these shop lights.  As it turns out I install 3 shop lights using 42 watts and a different model using 38 watts.  So one bank uses 84 watts and the other 80.  I'm certainly not overloading the opener, but I'm using a little more power when I thought I was saving some over the 60 watt bulbs.

Cheers, Edouard 

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
I put 12, 4 foot LED's in my 42X60 building at about 11 feet high, they were from Sam's and I think about 4700 lumens, and WOW it lights up the whole building.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Need more light for a workspace (Re: Upgrading garage to LED shop lights)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:30:03 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick luminaries,

I put 12, 4 foot LED's in my 42X60 building at about 11 feet high, they were from Sam's and I think about 4700 lumens, and WOW it lights up the whole building.

That's what I suspected.  If you are lighting up a space to work in, you need to put more of these lights and space them more uniformly.  I'm glad that you got a good deal on the lights and that you really like the results!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Compromises, compromises! (Re: Upgrading garage to LED shop lights)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »

....Right now the best deal I can find at Costco is a 2-pack for $60:

https://www.costco.com/4%e2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

That's what I ended up paying after shipping costs, $30 each. I think they were $25 at the store, IF you are a member (I'm not).

What I like the most about the led's are that they work just as well in a cold winter garage as they do in the heat of summer. No more dim flickering lights in January!

If you are waiting for them to go on sale, keep an eye on the 'Hot Deals' section of the Garagejournal.com forum.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick bargain hunters,

If you are waiting for them to go on sale, keep an eye on the 'Hot Deals' section of the Garagejournal.com forum.

Thanks for this tip!  I'll try to do that!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »
I'm in the process of upgrading my shop lighting to T5 fixtures, wow what a difference.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.