Author Topic: I'm starting a restoration 65  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Georick

• Buick Nut
I'm starting a restoration 65
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »
I just bought a 1965 buick skylark. The body is in great shape and some of the the interior has been done. I am starting on the rear end and adding disk brakes along with new bushings. So I've been told this is a 1965 special not a skylark. I've looking up the VIN and its shows it is a special and it came with a V6 not the V8 that is in it not. Going through the molding and emblems that came with the car, there are Skylark emblems, maybe someone wanted it to look more like a Skylark.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:08:25 PM by Georick »
65 Special

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: I'm starting a restoration 65
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Welcome to the 65 GS/Skylark/Special family.  We love restoration projects and encourage you to start a restoration thread.  Doesn't matter how extensive, we'd like to follow your journey and chime in with info as needed.

Happy to have you aboard!!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
Welcome, looking forward to following along on your project!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
WELCOME .    Car looks pretty good , it would be great if you could start a restoration page so we can follow along . We love pictures of the progress . ( small or large )
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
Welcome and congrats on a clean looking 65. We are in the rust belt so anything that looks that good has to be imported to the state. Very solid looking project and looks straight too. Dan

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
Looks like a good start but a Special not Skylark .

Offline Georick

• Buick Nut
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
Thanks, what the difference between a skylark and a special. How do I start a restoration page?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:10:14 PM by Georick »
65 Special

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
All Specials are special! (Re: I'm starting a restoration 65)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
Dear Georick, Chuck, Jim, John, Buicknut65, and 65GS.com welcome wagon

I just bought a 1965 buick skylark. The body is in great shape and some of the the interior has been done. I am starting on the rear end and adding disk brakes along with new bushings.

Sounds like a great start!  Welcome to 65GS.com!

So I've been told this is a 1965 special not a skylark. I've looking up the VIN and its shows it is a special and it came with a V6 not the V8 that is in it not. Going through the molding and emblems that came with the car, there are Skylark emblems, maybe someone wanted it to look more like a Skylark.

Thanks, what the difference between a skylark and a special.

Skylarks were a higher trim level than Specials.  Buick positioned different models with different options and paradoxically, Specials were less special than Skylarks.  Of course to some of us, some Specials are the most special cars of all!  :love4:

Another useful forum:  Team Buick has production data on the 1965 Buicks:

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/65.php

You could either make your car into a "Skylark clone" or you could restore it to a correct Special trim level.  Most of the restoration parts you need are reproduced.  I have a Special and some other guys also have them so we can give you the correct details if you go that route.

How do I start a restoration page?

Well this thread is already in the correct topic.  You could simply start describing your restoration by replying to this post and telling your story here!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Georick

• Buick Nut
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 03:34:24 AM »
Thank you all for your welcomes and information, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'll check out more information on the specials. Does anyone know where I can find window regulators?
65 Special

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:21 AM »
Georick, you have a Special deluxe! This is a different animal as we say! This is a Special with Skylark side trim ! , the rear tail panel trim and taillights are unique to the special deluxe only!I had a four door driver years ago!  Wish I still had it! What is interesting about this model is that it could be ordered  with a V6 or V8  or padded dash and any of the other options! So there are many different combinations out there! When I had my four door I had a guy come up to me and  say you put that trim on that car! ,to which I replied I  have a Special Deluxe! Would you like to see the VIN! Drive and enjoy your Car!, we only get so much time!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
  Hi Georick, Welcome to the world of Special, Skylark & Skylark Gran Sport.  It does look like you have a Special Deluxe. And that's an odd fire 225V6 under the hood. a good little motor that's easy to work on. Send us more pictures we like to see the rest of it..     

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
I think that may be a 66-7 motor,but it is a v-8....I had to look at it twice to figure out what was different.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Window regulators anybody? (Re: I'm starting a restoration 65)
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Dear Georick, Jon, Tony, Dan, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thank you all for your welcomes and information, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'll check out more information on the specials.

We can certainly provide you with more information about the Specials.  Also, you might want to get your hands on the Service manual, Body manual, and perhaps even the Assembly manual.  There are decent used one around for not too much money and even some reprints.

You'll need to decide how original you want to make this car.  For example, I just noticed the car has an aftermarket steering wheel.  It's really tough to get a good looking original 1965 Buick Deluxe Special steering wheel.  The good thing is that it is the same as the Skylark.

Does anyone know where I can find window regulators?

Unfortunately I don't.  Does anybody else have a lead on window regulators?

Cheers, Edouard

Offline 455pev

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
Welcome aboard.

I have a set of regulators but don't know it they will work.  Someone chime in and tell me if the hardtop and sedans use the same regulators?
65 skylark 455 low 11's street car
65 sportwagon, AC, p/w. 300 4v
65 GS AC, tilt, rear speeker. new to me
69 GS 400 Convertible

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
Welcome aboard.

I have a set of regulators but don't know it they will work.  Someone chime in and tell me if the hardtop and sedans use the same regulators?

The rears are different for certain. Not sure about the fronts.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60