Author Topic: Interesting articles on oil technology.  (Read 494 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Interesting articles on oil technology.
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers pondering what is the best motor oil to use,

Sadly, there was a 4 part online article series explaining the history of motor oil.  The website is gone and all the useful information with it.  In frustration, I tried to relocate it on some other website and failed.  Still I stumbled across two articles that I found interesting.  The first is a relatively quick summary from Hagerty's about the overall problem of oil for classic cars:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2013/08/07/classic-oil

It mentioned another supplier for classic car oil that I wasn't aware of: Classic Car Motor Oil.   Quoting from the article:

The development of this product was driven by the Indiana Region of the Classic Car Club of America. Club members approached the D-A Lubricant Company near Indianapolis about the problems of modern oil in classic cars, and D-A worked with them to develop and co-market a specific blend of oil for Classics. Classic Car Motor Oil is now available in sizes from the quart to the case to the 55-gallon drum for enthusiasts with classic cars. The work from this club and this company show that grassroots efforts can yield great results.

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/

On this companies website are some more articles that are definitely interesting:

https://classiccarmotoroil.com/articles.html

The final article I came across was on the hot-rod website and was an assessment of the value of synthetic oils for classic cars:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/synthetic-oil-for-hot-rods/

There are now at least two brands of synthetic oil formulated for classic cars.  The article mentioned one advantage of synthetic oils that I had not considered.  Synthetic oils remain on metal parts longer than natural oils that will tend to run back into the oil pan.  So on any car, synthetic oils will provide better lubrication during a cold start.  For a classic that isn't driven as frequently, the friction during a cold start becomes more significant.

The one serious downside to synthetic oil is that the oil is more difficult to keep contained.  So in a classic car engine not designed for synthetic oil, there is a greater risk for oil leaks.  However, if your engine can remain tight with synthetic oil, there is a real incentive to go synthetic even if you drive your classic like and "old granny."

Some food for thought!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: Interesting articles on oil technology.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »
Thank you friend, for posting this.

I have been out of the car scene for almost 40 years and am finding out how many things we took for granted in the "good ol' days".

I now get the "Rip Van Winkle" effect.

Paradox time. I bet a person either "time traveling" or "awakening" from the past, would not be so much overwhelmed by technology and advancement, and would adapt almost instantaneously and organically, but would be dismayed and frustrated at the difficulty encountered doing things in the here and now, that were so easy and intuitive in the time they left.

Now that would be a good premise for a movie...
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Michael and mid-60s Buick "time travelers,"

I have been out of the car scene for almost 40 years and am finding out how many things we took for granted in the "good ol' days".

I now get the "Rip Van Winkle" effect.

. . . . .

Now that would be a good premise for a movie...

Whether it would make a popular movie I don't know, but I'm certain these changes deserve more scholarly research.  When we bought Biquette in 1968 the vast majority of families had only one car.  Today it is common for every member of the family of driving age to have their own car.  It has changed the way people live: much more time is spent in cars and people do things with their cars that would have been preposterous in 1968.  For example, people drive their dogs to "nicer" places to walk them.

All this has unanticipated effects on society.  Our roads are falling apart much faster because of all the additional miles we put on them.  All the desperate efforts to reduce automotive pollution is in part because those cars are on the road more frequently producing that pollution.  Even if the accident rate per mile is constant (which it isn't,) there are many more accidents because of the additional miles traveled, and of course, people get hurt in auto accidents.  So increased automobile use has effects on 3 seemingly unrelated concerns of society: infrastructure, the environment, and health care.

Sadly, I don't think my former colleagues in academia are keeping up with the changes they are supposed to be understanding and informing society about.

Some heady food for thought,

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Treatise on oil technology! (Re: Interesting articles on oil technology.)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I was doing some research on oils for classic cars and came across a technical tour de force that definitely seems worth being aware of.  It is on Richard Widman website describing the restoration of his 1960 Corvair.  Here is the webpage related to oil selection:

https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

There is a quick summary at the bottom that might be good enough for most.  However, if you want some undeniably heavy reading, here is the link to the actual paper:

https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

It is in PDF format.

Edouard

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »
Just two chunks of some eating stuff for thought.

My pal in Chicago who I would have to consider being the sharpest knife in the drawer is an AMSOIL dealer. So he's been building this rock crawler Jeep for 10 years; one bolt at a time. After the trans was rebuilt by him in 2005 and filled with Amsoil, a leak was discovered coming out of the side cover. Evidently the synthetic oil wicked its way through the conventional gasket from just sitting; BRAND NEW. All the new stuff is done with no gaskets, usually just a sealant and "O" rings.
   I have 5 Vintage V8's and use mineral oil with almost zero leakage.

That brings to mind another issue. ZDDP in the oils. My old boat with a pair of 1974 454 Mercruisers inboards is seeing the end of their second overhaul. These guys as we know, run at full load, RPM a non issue, and consequently do use oil. Each engine runs about a quart per 10 hour day of running at 2800 rpm. Prior to these 454s, the boat had 185hp 283 Chevy engines. Ive always run the more "affordable" oils in bulk (5 quart jugs) from the motor parts store with little if any internal wear. A fresh change in the spring and then a case of quarts on a trip for vacation. Every morning is a walk down with a quart for each engine, then we go.

So back to the traffic situation. If youre like me, I started driving (legally) in 1971. Rush hour traffic "may" have been 3-4 cars in line at a stop lite. KRIPES! Now the stop lites are 3 lanes wide with 20-30 cars in each lane. Head phones for tunes used to be illegal (cant hear sirens etc), but now its hand free mini TV sets mounted to the dash with "ear buds". We are a product of our own society. Im on the "Off Rant" now with no turn signal LOL...   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
ZDDP synthetics are out there. (Re: Interesting articles on oil technology.)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:04:54 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Can't you see I need to get off the computer and get some real work done!
. . . . .  :laughing7:

. . . .
That brings to mind another issue. ZDDP in the oils.
. . . .

Quickie FYI, you can now get various synthetic formulations that have the required ZDDP for classic engines.  There are so many it would be hard to list but some are noted on the hotrod article that is listed above and I'll provide the link again here:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/synthetic-oil-for-hot-rods/

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
I still get a kick outa these lube exspurts sporting Gaussian distribution, and olefin compounds. Electric demagnetization and wax?? Back before strawberry flavored Joy Jelly, there was vaseline LOL.  I didnt want to admit it but once a year I add a 1/2 quart bottle of good ol' STP. Its loaded with ZDDP. Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !