Author Topic: Greetings from Ireland!  (Read 892 times)

425 Dual Quad

Greetings from Ireland!
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:19:42 AM »
Good morning! Greetings from Ireland! My name is Nick and I'm restoring a 66 Skylark with an LX code 425 Dual QUad in it to not so standard spec. I want this car to corner like it's on rails.
I's an on/ off project as time and funds allow and I got prompted to come over her by Walt (for the second time actually!) so thanks Walt!
regards,  Nick   :)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: Greetings from Ireland!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »
Welcome Nick... it's awesome to have another member from across the seas.

I'm personally not a suspension expert, but I know that there are many things that range from adding a roll bar to lowering the car and using aftermarket spindles and wheels that will get you where you want to be.

Personally, I'd try to phased approach.  Start with an anti roll bar in the back, add some larger wheels and tires and evalute if this is enough control (this made a major difference in my car).

Next move onto disc brakes, lowered spindles, and better shocks and see if this is where you want it to be.

Next stop is new bushings (urathane) and other trick suspension and body mounting options.

Anyone else have any advice for our newest member?

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

425 Dual Quad

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »
Chris,
Hi!  Thanks for the welcome!  Much appreciated. I'm experimenting with this one to see if I can trn it into a G machine - but with the 425 and two carbs up front I'll have a bit of a task!!
I've already done the dropped / tall spindle swap from an 81 Le Sabre (keeping it all-Buick here!) to get me the taller spindles which drop the roll centre below the axle line, not above it as in the standard A Body configuration (this makes the tyre lean in at the top in a corner, not lean out as it currently does).
I've also got shortened upper arms to pull in the top of the spindle into the correct place and retain the geometry. I've used rubber for the bushings because it gives a better ride (poly is too harsh and it actually binds up the rear suspension in these cars).
And of course the 81 Le Sabre spindles give me 11" discs. Interestingly the 11" discs from the le Sabre DO fit inside the 14" Rallye wheels - tight but the calipers do have 1/4 of clearance! I will probably go to 15" wheels at some stage anyhow.
I have a 32mm Trans Am sway bar to put up front which I'll use poly mounts on.
And am looking for the right rear bar which doesn't fit to the lower control arms but to the frame - hence the post on V8Buick.
I'll box the upper and lower rear control arms. I guess I don't really need to box the upper arms but I plan on practicing on them before I do the lowers!!
And I'm undecided as to whether to put in the air suspension kit or save it for one of the Caddies or to go conventional springs. I've already had the big block 67/9 Camaro front springs which are good and stiff and will take the weight of the Nailhead and I'm looking for the right match of rear spring.  The goal is good cornering, minimal to zero body roll and a smoooth ride!
Shocks is something I haven't figured out yet, nor wheels and tyres, but as you say I'll get there. I'm doing the body from the bottom up (all is cleaned and new body bushes are ready to go in while the suspension is out) so priority is to put the right stuff under there to hang the axles on so I can move it around, then when it comes to driving it I can focus on the shocks and wheels/ tyres.
best regards, Nick

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Welcome Nick

This is a very good bunch of guys & gals to answer the 65 questions.

;D
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277