Author Topic: polishing tail light lenses  (Read 765 times)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
polishing tail light lenses
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
Wondering what everyone is using to restore /polish there tail light lenses ?  I see theres a few different kits on the market and a product called Wenol that seems to be pretty popular .   Anyone willing to give up thier secret formula ?    Are they being hand rubbed or small buffing wheel ?
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: polishing tail light lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
John,

I used Novus. Bought some off Amazon if I recall. Just used the polish and clean rags.
Had to scrub them all with hot soapy water and a toothbrush first.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »
John,

I bought Novus Plastic Polish No.2 at an auto paint supply store. Most auto paint supply stores should carry it or a similar product.

John Egel

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
My painter/restorer simply recommends the 3M rubbing compound that he uses to rub out the paint after wet sanding.  I haven't tried it yet on mine, but don't see why it won't work well.

Of course, plastic polish should work as well!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
UV protection? (Re: polishing tail light lenses )
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
Dear John, Mark, John, Chuck, and mid-60s "love shiny stuff" types,

Wondering what everyone is using to restore /polish there tail light lenses ?  I see theres a few different kits on the market and a product called Wenol that seems to be pretty popular .   Anyone willing to give up thier secret formula ?    Are they being hand rubbed or small buffing wheel ?

Sorry I can't help you directly because I've got NOS lenses!  :laughing7:  Once in a while having a wagon is an advantage!

However, I am aware of a similar situation were I got some advice that might apply.  Modern car plastic headlights have a problem with getting yellow or hazy.  Daniel Stein, who sell high-performance headlights for classic cars, recommended against simply using one of those polishing restoration kits.  His point was simple.  When you remove some of the surface, you remove some of the compounds that protect the plastic from the Ultra-Violet.  After you have done this, the plastic is vulnerable to the sun and the process sadly repeats.

Griot's Garage as a kit for restoring modern headlights that includes some sort of a UV protection coating:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/headlight+restoration+kit.do

It isn't intended for classic plastic lenses, but perhaps it could be used to protect the surface once the polishing is done.  Alternatively, perhaps there is a product that effectively acts as sun-screen for plastic.  I assume that our classics spend most of the time in the shady garage.  Even so, it would be sad if a nicely polished lens would start fading because the sun exposure you get from car shows and cruising around.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »
I use plastic polish followed by a coating of 303 UV protection on the headlights of my 180,000+ mile Nissan. I've also heard toothpaste works pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:23:40 PM by campfamily »
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »
Novus is great stuff.  They have several coarseness options, and you can use it on your dash cluster lens as well.