Author Topic: Photos of Buicks in the Spring  (Read 618 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Photos of Buicks in the Spring
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick lovers, . . . .  :love4:

Spring comes early in California, so if you want pictures you'd better have your camera ready when the trees start blooming.  Yesterday we had a mostly sunny day, so I got my trusty wagon out for a quick photo shoot.  Here is my wagon next to a plum tree in bloom:

Here is a slightly different angle:

Since most of us either have a camera or a smart phone (or both,) it isn't that hard to snap a few photos of your beloved Buick next to some scenery of Spring.  So I invite everyone to contribute some photos to this thread when Spring finally comes to your corner of the world.  Those of who have Spring happen early can help cheer up the folks in more Northern latitudes.  When Spring comes to those places, pictures will be welcome for those of us who are in arid locations and will miss the greenery.

This photos aren't that difficult to take, although there are a few tips.  For example, try to have your camera at around 45? to where the sun is coming from.  Otherwise you can have the color of your car washed out as in this example:

The sun was right at my back and you can see how the tailgate looks washed out by the intense light.

Here's one more:

So here's some inspiration to photograph your classic Buick and perhaps some more encouragement that Spring will surely come even in places that are frozen and barren at the moment.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Photos of Buicks in the Spring
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
Nice photos Edouard! How about some during the golden hour at either sunrise or sunset. Those can also be quite picturesque.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Good advice! (Re: Photos of Buicks in the Spring)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Dear Tom and mid-60s Buick shutterbugs,

Nice photos Edouard!

Thanks!

How about some during the golden hour at either sunrise or sunset. Those can also be quite picturesque.

Yes that is a good idea.  The only tricky part is that you have to have your background at a suitable angle.  I had scouted around before taking these pictures and had found some flowering trees that were mostly to the North.  That way with the sun almost at noontime they were nicely illuminated.  Still, I'll keep my eye pealed.  Perhaps I'll find another background that would look nice either around sunrise or sunset.  Of course, everyone else is invited to do the same thing!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
Be aware of the car's shadow, minimize it as much as possible in photos.  Large shadows extending out from under the car can be distracting. You don't get many overcast days in Calie but they are best for photos, tough to do in direct sunlight.
That's such a great color, a perfect spring color and it defines the body lines so well. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
 The car looks great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks - gotta live with sun! (Re: Photos of Buicks in the Spring)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
Dear Kevin, Jim, and mid-60s Buick lovers, . . . .

Be aware of the car's shadow, minimize it as much as possible in photos.  Large shadows extending out from under the car can be distracting.

Yes that's a good point.  I try to have the shadows fall behind the scene so that they aren't a problem.  A nice arrangement is to have the car 45? to the sun around noon and then to have your camera close to right angles to the car.  One way to do this is to take your photos on an empty parking lot.  That way you can put the car at any angle that suits your fancy.

You don't get many overcast days in Calie but they are best for photos, tough to do in direct sunlight.

It is hard to photograph in direct sunlight, but the colors are always more vibrant in sunshine than on a cloudy day.  I have a polarizing filter on my camera that reduces the glare so that you can capture the paint color.  Photographing cars on a sunny day without a polarizing filter often causes the paint to be washed as in the example of the tailgate photo.

That's such a great color, a perfect spring color and it defines the body lines so well.

The car looks great!

Sometimes I get lucky!

Thanks guys!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
A few more pics! (Re: Photos of Buicks in the Spring)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick fans of Spring,

I was able to get my trusty wagon out this afternoon and take a few more photos next to Spring flowering trees.  Here is a new view of the grill with a line of white flowering plum trees:

Here is more of a side view:

Here is the angle in-between:

Finally, here is the only decent photo I got of the tailgate:

I took several photos at 2 locations, but the rest were washed out.

I hope you like them because it seems clear that my wagon won't be heading out any time soon.  So it is time for you'all to take your turn at photographing your Buicks in Spring!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Hasn't spring sprung yet? (Re: Photos of Buicks in the Spring)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:34 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick lovers . . . .  :love4:

Yesterday, I spied a group of Irises blooming in front of a house in the neighborhood.  Having my smart-phone handy, I snapped this quick photo:

What does this have to do with classic Buicks?  Well, the observant viewer will notice that there is pavement adjacent to these flowers.  It would have been extremely easy to parked a classy vehicle next to these flowers and snapped a nifty photo.  Alas, my trusty wagon isn't moving much these days.  So if you want some photos of our favorite Buicks, you'll just have to take them yourself!    What have you got to lose?  If a picture doesn't turn out - just delete it!