Author Topic: Cold galvanizing an exposed metal tang.  (Read 589 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Cold galvanizing an exposed metal tang.
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

A while back I mentioned cold galvanizing as a possible alternative treatment for original fasteners and anything else which cannot be completely covered in paint.  It finally warmed up enough that I could apply my cold galvanizing product to the tang of the hood ornament Loren helped me restore.  Here is a picture of the particular product I used:

This product might not exist anymore, but CRC has other cold galvanizing products.  Here is the hood ornament before application:

Sorry, I don't have particularly high-resolution images because I don't have a close-up lens for my camera.

The stuff applies like "rattle can" spray paint and you can reapply after 10 minutes or so.  I put on 3 coats hoping that would be good enough.  Here is how it turned out:

Now it has the thickness of paint, but it has all that zinc which will protect the steel even if the zinc surface is breached.  So when I put the emblem nut, the hood ornament tang still should be protected even if some of the coating is scratched away.  It seemed like a reasonable precaution considering the effort it took to restore the hood ornament.  I need to have the surface of the hood ornament opticoated to provide it further protection and then I can finally mount it on my trusty wagon.

FYI! . . . . .  :read2:

Cheers, Edouard