Author Topic: New steering wheel $1500???  (Read 2206 times)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New steering wheel $1500???
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
I am probably interested in a wheel since I put my wheel from Frank on the '65 and still need another one.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
If we are doing a join group on the wheel ,I'm in. Let me know. 

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
1964-65 steering wheel the same - correct? (Re: New steering wheel)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
Dear Jim, Barb, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Somebody remind me . . . the steering wheels for the 1964 Buick A-Bodies are identical to the 1965 - correct?

I think it will take some time to get enough folks interested to make a group purchase, but it doesn't hurt to ask anyone you know who might be interested.  I tried to plant some interest with a fellow in Finland of all places who introduced himself on V-8 Buick.  I have a friend with a 1964 Skylark.  This might be right up his alley.

Think of it as mid-60s Buick "evangelizing". . . . . :angel4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
My 64 skylark definitely had the same wheel,and I believe all skylarks had it. The Buick special wheel is a plain wheel with the round center cap and I am not sure if the special had an upgrade option on the wheel. So,as long as it retains the long horn button it is the same from 1964-6. Keeping in mind that the 66 uses a different style horn button with two small black horn contacts rather than one continuous bar.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Standard deluxe wheel and split thread? (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Dear Dan, Loren, and mid-60s Buick taxonomy experts,

My 64 skylark definitely had the same wheel,and I believe all skylarks had it.

Yup, agreed on that one! 

The Buick special wheel is a plain wheel with the round center cap and I am not sure if the special had an upgrade option on the wheel.

Okay, you jogged my memory on this one.  Yes the Buick "Special" (without any upgrades) had a simple plastic steering wheel with a round horn button.  The "Deluxe Special" series featured the same steering wheel as the Skylark.  Out of curiosity, I just checked the production figures for the 1965 model year from our friends at Team Buick:

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/65.php

There were definitely more base model Specials than Deluxe Specials built.  My sense though is that the base models are now extremely rare because I suppose people didn't feel much of a need to keep those cars.

So,as long as it retains the long horn button it is the same from 1964-6. Keeping in mind that the 66 uses a different style horn button with two small black horn contacts rather than one continuous bar.

Okay, I didn't know the plastic part of the steering wheel was carried on for the 1966 model year.

Now that I've taken thread further off-topic, Loren, would it be worth either splitting off the group-buy or perhaps simply starting a new sticky thread with the same info as your posting?

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3280.msg22624#msg22624

That way it will be easier to keep track of the folks actually interested in joining the group purchase?

Just a thought . . . . .  Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Standard deluxe wheel and split thread? (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Now that I've taken thread further off-topic, Loren, would it be worth either splitting off the group-buy or perhaps simply starting a new sticky thread with the same info as your posting?

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3280.msg22624#msg22624

That way it will be easier to keep track of the folks actually interested in joining the group purchase?

Just a thought . . . . .  Edouard
[/quote]

Very good point Edouard.

Loren
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:23:04 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline McNew

• Buick Fan
  • Ron
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 08:04:41 PM »
I just sent my steering wheel to Koch's just before Christmas 2016 after a great deal of research.  Faced with a $1300 restoration plus shipping or $450 plus shipping I decided to send it to Koch's. I'm sure the color being cast into the plastic would be much better but I decided that for the $850 difference I could repaint it a few times myself if needed.  I will post some photos of the Koch restoration when I receive the wheel back so everyone can see what their work looks like. They were very nice people to talk to and they did call me when they received the wheel to make sure that I had kept all the parts off the wheel and to confirm the color Astro Poly blue.  I will also have a Grant wheel for sale if the restored wheel looks good.
1965 Skylark Gran Sport Post Car
BCA 49676

Offline McNew

• Buick Fan
  • Ron
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
Here are some photo's of the restored steering wheel.  I had some grinding to do to get the horn button assembly to fit but other than that they did a nice job.
BCA 49676

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
That really looks great! So how much is it to get a wheel looking like that? I also need an Astro blue one.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks Loren.
Add me to the count for a Koch steering wheel.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Are this the outfit you used? (Re: New steering wheel $1500???)
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »
Dear McNew, Jim, Michael, and mid-60s Buick owners who prefer to have a working steering wheel!

I just sent my steering wheel to Koch's just before Christmas 2016 after a great deal of research. 

Hmmm, very interesting!  Is this the outfit you used?

www.kochssteeringwheels.com/

Thanks for sharing!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline McNew

• Buick Fan
  • Ron
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:17 AM »
Yes that's the folks that did the work on the wheel.  Koch's P.O. Box 959,  7650 Soledad Canon Rd.  Acton, CA 93510  661-268-1341.  I shipped the wheel with tracking, stripped down and they called me within three day of receiving the wheel to make sure that I had only sent the wheel.  I would advise sending the horn button assembly so they could fit it as I had to do some grinding.  They then called me again a few days later to double check on the color because the wheel was in bad shape and very discolored.  I took almost 3 months then they called again for payment.  I asked them to make sure they packaged so it wouldn't get damaged.  They told me that if it did get damage they would repair it for no cost to me.  I received the wheel undamaged it was packaged very well.  The cost was $450 and shipping both ways.     
BCA 49676

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »

Please put me on the list for a Koch group purchase.  (Is anyone keeping a list? - should we start a new topic)) In my view, ideally we would wait until after the driving season and send them around November so that we get them back for the next warm weather.

Rob
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

Please put me on the list for a Koch group purchase.  (Is anyone keeping a list? - should we start a new topic)) In my view, ideally we would wait until after the driving season and send them around November so that we get them back for the next warm weather.

Rob

Or we send a box or two of cores. lol

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »

Rob

Or we send a box or two of cores. lol

Loren

Loren - Realize this is probably not a good time but was wondering if this effort moved forward and perhaps I missed it. Several years ago I just about bought one of Frank's but thought I could wait until later....

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer