Author Topic: What transmission fluid to use in 65 GS automatic  (Read 604 times)

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
What transmission fluid to use in 65 GS automatic
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
All

I know this sounds elementary but what transmission fluid should I be using in my stock 2 speed 65 GS automatic?

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Milton and mid-60s Buick tranny experts, . . . .

I know this sounds elementary but what transmission fluid should I be using in my stock 2 speed 65 GS automatic?

Of course the reasonable answer would be a transmission fluid that meets the specs for the transmission of the time.  Somehow my trusty wagon never does seem to do the reasonable thing.  At least for a time, she was running a TH200-4R that was custom built and the builder recommended of all things: Mercon V fluid.  Yes Mercon is a Ford trademark and the TH200-4R is a GM product.  Faced with that suggestion, Orinda Motors found a Mercon V and Dexron VI compatible fluid and that's what was in her TH200-4R.

Alas it didn't help, that tranny still leaked like a Sieve.  Ultimately it got replaced with an Art Carr California Performance Transmission TH200-4R and I don't know what fluid they recommend.  Still, perhaps it is worth pondering a later generation fluid at least if it is supposed to be backward compatible with the earlier fluids (and isn't too expensive.)

Cheers, Edouard