Author Topic: Genuine GS?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Pete Phillips

• Buick Fan
Re: Genuine GS?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:30 PM »
To the guys who contributed the information on this thread, would you give me permission to quote your replies and make an article about this for the Buick Bugle? I think it's been a good learning experience, with a lot of good information that isn't always available. and I can document it with photos of parts of my car. It would be good publicity for this group, I think.
What would REALLY make it a great article would be to match the photos of parts of the Gran Sport with photos of the same areas on a regular '65 Skylark or Special. Anybody have access to one? If so, take photos of the frame, the radiator, the battery tray, the side moldings, the roof trim, etc., and email them to me, and I will put the article together.
Pete

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
It would be an interesting article, just don't title it "How to clone a '65 GS" !!  :icon_biggrin:

We could add a lot more info, we've only touched on the differences.
There was a booklet included in the service bulletin package that covered many the items specific to the '65 GS models.
Some of the less-known items included:
- Rear axle housing with larger wheel bearings, specific to GS and Sportwagon.
- Steering column has a removable steering box flange to allow removal.... GS has little clearance between the upper Arm shaft and exhaust manifold.
- Bucket seats were a required option.
I had scanned the booklet years ago, I just have to find it.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
I agree it would make for a good article.  I'm sure that there is more then enough knowledge here to help with that.

To me, looking from a $$$ stand point, it does not make sense to "clone" a '65 GS. Unfortunately, a '65 GS doesn't command the big $$$ like say a cloned GTO might.
Without a serious amount of work, unless the Skylark is a convertible, there is the boxed frame difference that a hardtop or post Skylark won't have. In my humble opinion, the difficulty of finding the GS specific trim parts is bad enough, much less going through the work and expense to change out a frame.

Loren
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:31:45 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:35 AM »
Pete,

You have my permission. Someone with a nice Skylark will have to step forward, I know there are some nice ones here.
If there is anything you need, we will help. Thank you!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
Pete,

The article sounds like a good idea. Feel free to quote me. Finding a really nice Skylark will be difficult. Maybe another BCA member could help you out.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Have Special - can take pics (Re: Genuine GS?)
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
Dear Pete, Walt, Loren, Mark,

What would REALLY make it a great article would be to match the photos of parts of the Gran Sport with photos of the same areas on a regular '65 Skylark or Special.

I don't know if there is any interest, but if there is a need for photos of a Special specifically, my wagon's exterior is essentially completely original.  As far as I remember the exterior trim was different between the Specials and the Skylarks and GS.

To me, looking from a $$$ stand point, it does not make sense to "clone" a '65 GS. Unfortunately, a '65 GS doesn't command the big $$$ like say a cloned GTO might.

Perhaps something equivalent to that sentence should be included in the article.   Any article like this will have to touch on the value of these cars.  So pointing out that an attempt to clone a 1965 GS isn't worth the effort is basically giving the readers an honest assessment of the situation.

Thanks Pete for the suggestion!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
If needed, you have my permission to use any of my comments.  I know we have lots of pictures of 65 GS cars and that there are some Skylarks and at least a Special or two.  Kevin (Rollaround) has a nice Special and I'll bet he has some pictures that could be used.

Sounds like a great idea, both informational and to put the 65 GS in the limelight again!

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
These are images of the handwritten sheets found in my GS. Small one was in the bucket seat cushion, jammed between the springs and foam. Never saw it until I started taking the seats apart for Loren to do his upholstery job.
I have images of these from 2 or 3 other Fremont cars.

The next unsolved mystery is what is the circled number in the upper left corner for? All the ones I've seen have this.

I should clarify - these are from Fremont cars.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:02:27 PM by Mark Ascher »
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »

....The next unsolved mystery is what is the circled number in the upper left corner for? All the ones I've seen have this.

Could be the sequence number....in your case, car #719 on the assembly line in that day.

The Fisher Body cards I've found in my 66's have the sequence number in upper left corner.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »
 Hi Pete you have my permission too, we should all post how many years that we each have been working on Gran Sports or just Buicks. The amount of years must be quite a staggering number. I started working on Buicks with my father 41 years ago and purchased my first 65 Gran Sport 27 years ago, time sure flies when you are having fun with Buicks !!

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
You have my permission too, just in case I said something intelligent. I have continuously owned at least one or more nailhead Gran Sports since 1975.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto