Author Topic: Genuine GS?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Pete Phillips

• Buick Fan
Genuine GS?
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
I'm being challenged by a potential buyer of my car, that it might not be a genuine GS. It has the battery tray on the driver's side, the wider front anti-sway bar, the supplemental plates over the motor mounts (torsion plates?), no exterior side molding other than the venti-ports and Skylark head on front fender, no evidence of side molding holes being filled on the back of the fenders or rear quarter panels, 401 4-barrel engine with the correct "LR" code--but no serial number after that, except for the numbers 351, provision for dual exhaust (previous owner converted it to single exhaust but the hangers and hardware for duals are still there), bucket seats, console, floor shift lever, and the larger 1-1/8 inch front brake wheel cylinders. Also has the Gran Sport name plate on the grille, trunk lid, glove box door, and C-pillars.
I will attach a photo of the data plate on the firewall. Interested to see what this knowledgeable group says.
Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Genuine GS?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
Hi Pete,

Your GS is a Fremont built car. There are no codes on the data plate that will tell you about options - this a Fremont only quirk since they had their own coding system. Car is a third week of March car - well past the GS build start date, so ok there. Paint code is DD - Astro Blue top and bottom. Trim is 191 - Blue bucket seats. You might want to check the code on the front of the engine. it is located on the front, by the lifter valley cover. Should be the VIN there. you can check that vs the VIN plate in the door jamb. If it's the original engine, those codes will match, and most GS cars will have "LR" stamped on the same area as the VIN number. Please note - some GSs had "LT" codes, which is ok.

I'm pretty confident from all the pics I've seen that it is a real GS!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
Pete,

The VIN is stamped into the drivers side front of the engine opposite side from the LR  351 stamping. If it matches you are golden. If not I agree with Mark that it is almost definitely a Gran Sport from everything I have seen.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
It could be.
(Mark beat me to the response).....Most assembly plants will show the '4S' code on the cowl data plate, denoting the GS option.
The exception is the Fremont plant, which did not put the codes on the cowl plate, just a manifest number that is indecipherable. Your car was built in Fremont, hence no code shown for the GS option.... the likely reason the purchaser is questioning the authenticity.

Your transmission may have the VIN stamped on the trans, usually on the top surface of either the tail housing or the rear bearing support (between main case and tailhousing).
If there is any paperwork inside the car, it should show codes or components used only for a GS. A build sheet could be hidden somewhere (a rare find), or a Fisher build sheet may be stuck in the underside of the rear seat.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
Walt,

The Fremont cars sometimes have a hand written sheet stashed somewhere in the interior that has all the codes on it.
I found two such sheets - one under the carpet, and another jammed in the seat cushion of one of the buckets seats.
I think Dan found one in his car too.

A couple of other points: if was not a GS, and a Skylark post car, there would be evidence somewhere of removal of the halo moldings.
Pete's car has the proper GS roof trim. Another thing that throws some people is the post cars use the Special door panels and seat
pattern.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
Boxed frame?

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
Boxed frame?

You beat me to it.....your post came up as I was typing the same thing.  Since the car is not a convertible, and if it has the boxed convertible frame, that's strong further evidence that it's a GS.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
  It should also have that Tach wire coming out of the wire harness & taped up near the drivers side wheel well.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
If the VIN on the block matches its for sure since you couldn't get the 401 in the plain Skylark. There's a lot of Fremont cars out there.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
It appears to have the cross-bracing on the radiator support as well as a cross-flow radiator.
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
Maybe he's trying to use it as a bargaining tool .
Theres just to much correct about the car not to be a true GS . 
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
WOW!!! You guys really know your stuff! (Re: Genuine GS?)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
Dear Pete, Mark, Dan, Walt, Bill, Chuck, Tony, Jim, Tom, John, and mid-60s Buick experts at . . . . . "spitting hairs!"

Interested to see what this knowledgeable group says.

I was very interested when Pete asked this question, but . . . . . . WOW!!

Maybe Loren has been going all wrong as far as figuring out a way to support 65GS.com.  Perhaps he should come up with a game show where guys on this board are given a few clues and are challenged - is it a 1965 GS or not!!  :icon_scratch:

Great job guys! :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:55:44 PM by elagache »

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: WOW!!! You guys really know your stuff! (Re: Genuine GS?)
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
... Perhaps he should come up with a game show where guys on this board are given a few clues and are challenged - is it a 1965 GS or not!!  :icon_scratch:

Great job guys! :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

yes!

Maybe a screw, a fuse or a bolt.    No doubt, someone will be able to tell. :icon_biggrin:

Put CSI to shame.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »
Walt,

The Fremont cars sometimes have a hand written sheet stashed somewhere in the interior that has all the codes on it.
I found two such sheets - one under the carpet, and another jammed in the seat cushion of one of the buckets seats.
I think Dan found one in his car too.

Mark

The Bamboo Cream car Dan bought from me had that handwritten code sheet. I might have a photocopy of it somewhere.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Pete Phillips

• Buick Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
Thanks for the info. My car definitely has the boxed frame, cross-flow radiator, and the "X" braces in front of the radiator. It also has the tachometer wire feed taped up near the driver's front wheel well.  I cannot find anything under the seats--they were recovered years ago. The engine block has absolutely no evidence of a VIN stamped in it, opposite the LR-351 stamping.
Pete Phillips, BCA #7338
Leonard, Texas
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:32:10 AM by Pete Phillips »