Author Topic: 65 skylark  (Read 1063 times)

Offline KCastle65

• Buick Fan
65 skylark
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
Hey all,
     Bought my 65 a year ago, no engine, pulled out of a Buick enthusiasts back yard. It's been a slow grind of a restoration. Attached a picture of it the day I picked it up. Currently the shell is on some 4x4's while I weld the new floor pans in, the front suspension is tubular with lowering springs and disc brakes. And I replaced the rear bushings to polyurethane. Powder coated the frame. Focusing on the shell so I can mount that back on the frame this year and hopefully end up a lot closer to done. Looking forward to browsing the forum, searching for parts, etc. talk with you all soon.

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: 65 skylark
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
A rescued car is like a rescued dog.

They are the best kind, will always repay you with lifelong memories, even when they are gone too soon.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:57 AM »
Welcome to this family of Buick enthusiasts!  We love to follow restoration projects, so I encourage you to start a thread in the Projects & Restorations section.  That way we can follow your progress and, hopefully, help with any issues that arise.

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
Welcome, and good luck with your project!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
Welcome to the site ,   Your car looks a lot like my project .
X2 what chuck said , it would be fun to follow along in the restoration of your car under projects and restorations .
Do you have a pict of the trim tag ? it tells a lot about the car .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
Welcome to the club. Lots of good folks with exceptional Buick knowledge.  Post pictures of your project as you progress, you may help another guy out.  Sounds like we're at about the same stage in our restorations.
Lots of parts move around here, there are some local networks, small groups that can be very helpful.  You may find it beneficial to list your location or region.   
Again, welcome to the group.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome aboard! (Re: 65 skylark)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
Dear KCastle65, TrunkMonkey, Chuck, Jim, John, Kevin, and 65GS.com welcome wagon, . . .

By all means, welcome to 65GS.com!!

Bought my 65 a year ago, no engine, pulled out of a Buick enthusiasts back yard. It's been a slow grind of a restoration.

The chrome on the grill is in extremely good shape considering how the car was stored.  Is the builder's plate still there?  If so you might be able to learn more about the car from that.  There is a decoder on the companion website of this forum:

http://www.65gs.com/vin.html

It doesn't have all the possible codes because it a decoder for the 1965 GS - of course!  If you have codes that you can't decipher, by all means ask!

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline KCastle65

• Buick Fan
65 skylark
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
Dear KCastle65, TrunkMonkey, Chuck, Jim, John, Kevin, and 65GS.com welcome wagon, . . .

By all means, welcome to 65GS.com!!

Bought my 65 a year ago, no engine, pulled out of a Buick enthusiasts back yard. It's been a slow grind of a restoration.

The chrome on the grill is in extremely good shape considering how the car was stored.  Is the builder's plate still there?  If so you might be able to learn more about the car from that.  There is a decoder on the companion website of this forum:

http://www.65gs.com/vin.html

It doesn't have all the possible codes because it a decoder for the 1965 GS - of course!  If you have codes that you can't decipher, by all means ask!

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Thanks Edouard!
I've actually deciphered the tag on it. It's a 300 2 barrel car with the auto on the column. Champagne mist with a tan interior. I have all of the halo moldings and side moldings which were stored in heated storage, along with the bumpers which are decent but need rechroming eventually. Basically it'll be a resto mod to a degree because I'll be changing the color and engine up. I've already put tubular A arms and discs on the front brakes and am rebuilding the rear drums for now. Ultimately I'll have it 4 wheel disc but for now it'll suffice. Just trying to do what needs to be done the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:28:07 PM by KCastle65 »

Offline KCastle65

• Buick Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
I don't anymore but I researched the tag. It was champagne mist metallic, with a tan interior, 300 2 barrel engine with auto. On column. Buckets seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 08:31:22 PM »
Welcome aboard!  :cheers2:  :occasion14:

Glad to see you joined our group.   :thumbsup:  As you can see, we're a pretty friendly bunch here.

Keep us posted with your progress, not matter what the pace.  :rocker:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
Welcome.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk