Author Topic: Decal  (Read 904 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Decal
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
Hi guys Where can I get a new Decal for Dusty. This one is done. Is over 16 yrs old. Is all about the little things.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Two decals - neither is original to Dusty. (Re: Decal)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick "detail-oriented" types,

Hi guys Where can I get a new Decal for Dusty. This one is done. Is over 16 yrs old. Is all about the little things.

Well, things are not as they seem.  There are actually two decals in your photo.  The top one refers to the Buick Gran Sport.  However, Dusty isn't a Gran Sport - Dusty is a Skylark.  So it is an add-on decal.

The other decal is from TA-Performance.  Here is a link to their website where you can find things like contact info:

http://www.taperformance.com/

TA-Performance is THE source for performance parts for "mature" Buick engines.  They also do custom engine rebuilding which is where my trusty wagon fits in.  I had ordered a custom Buick big-block engine in 2011, but it never ran properly and ultimately busted the rear crankshaft bearing after only 3 months of operation.  In desperation I sent it to Mike Tomaszewski who owns TA-Performance with his wife Sherri.  They were able to rescue that engine and it runs great now! (when I can get the electronic fuel injection to behave! . . . . . So I'm a real fan of TA-Performance!

I don't see a TA-Performance decal in the last catalog I have from them.  However, you could give them a call and you should get either Mike, Sherri, or Tim (whom I've also spoken with on many occasions.)  Tell them Ed Lagache sent you and they'll treat you right!

Good luck!   :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. I don't know where you could get the other decal but it might be out there somewhere if you heart is set on getting a new one.

P.P.S. Alternatively, you might replace the GS decal with a Skylark decal.  That might be easier to find.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Decal
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
The other decal is an original Gran Sport Club of America.

Barb, you mentioned that Dusty use to be raced with a 455. That may be where he got the tattoos from. lol Drag racers are a fast crowd to hang with. pun intended.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »
Edouard, thanks  for the info. I bet if I search   boxes in the garage  I could find TA decals. Gus in the other is what I would like to replace.  Loren, Yes Dusty was a fast boy, the husband has that tattoo also, that is why I thought  I would replace Dusty'. I did not ask many questions about. Until you mention the racer part. I always thought the husband was proud to be 5'10 , I did not know is was  torque  power. LOL. Been married for  16 yrs and did  not even know what it ment,

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 08:25:23 AM »
Barb, one trend right now is to put the cars to "day two" condition. That might help reflect Dusty's heritage and would include bolt on speed parts, decals, aftermarket wheels. That's how many of the cars looked after two days of ownership. That's how I remember them from my school days.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Glossy catalogs full of "temptation!" (Re: Decal)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:31 AM »
Dear Barb, Loren, Jim, and mid-60s Buick "interior decorators," . . .

You might find that some of the actual 50+ year old decals on Dusty are looking a bit weary at this point.  For example, the decal on the air cleaner is a relatively simple thing to replace and will give Dusty's engine bay a quick refresh.  You can find that decal in many places but two places to do some glossy catalog "window shopping" is Original Parts Group and Year One.   Here is the Original Parts Group website:

https://www.opgi.com/

and here is the air cleaner decal listing at OPGI:

https://www.opgi.com/skylark/1965/decals/engine-compartment-decals/SDB0082/

Year One is another one of those companies that produce beautiful glossy catalogs:

https://www.yearone.com/

In many (but not all) cases items that you find in these catalogs can be found for less elsewhere, but these catalogs are a very convenient reference to find out exactly what sort of reproduction parts are available for Dusty.  These days, you have to pay for these catalogs, but if you like flipping through a catalog rather than struggling with websites, its worth the nominal cost.

. . . . However, beware!  Because within those glossy pages will be found . . . . TEMPTATION!! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: