Author Topic: How do you install the 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers?  (Read 844 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
How do you install the 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers?
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick know-it-alls, . . . .

Sadly, I didn't know that CARS made reproduction Front Bumper Fillers for the 1965 Buick A-bodies.  Here is an example of them for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161933228582?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As a result, when my trusty wagon was put back together after repainting in 2011 these parts weren't put on.  What would be involved in putting them on now?  A friend of mine has boldly suggested simply trying to squeeze them in.  Is that possible?  If it isn't, is there any other way to put the fillers short of removing the front bumper?

A curious wagon owner would like to know!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: How do you install the 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:58 PM »
Edouard,

Most likely you will have to loosen the bolts that hold the brackets to the frame. May have to remove the one towards the back so the bumper can be tipped down a little.

Best of luck,
 Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Am I this bold? (Re: Install the 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers?)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Dear Loren and mid-60s Buick DIY types,

Most likely you will have to loosen the bolts that hold the brackets to the frame. May have to remove the one towards the back so the bumper can be tipped down a little.

Well, that sound a bit bold for me, but that's reason enough to buy a set and try!  Thanks for the tip!  :thumbsup:

Best of luck,

Gulp!
  am I going to need luck on a project like this!!

Just another day in paradise I suppose . . . .

Cheers, Edouard . . . . .  :laughing7:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear mid-60s Buick bargain hunters,

I finally ordered the Front Bumper Fillers yesterday, but it took some time to figure what was the best deal.  I was puzzled that the original eBay listing I had found was selling a product from CARS (www.oldbuickparts.com)  So I went over to their website to see if I could save money by buying it directly.  Sure enough, it is $4 cheaper there.  However, the shipping was almost $10 which more than wiped out the savings.  So I went back on eBay and eventually found that CARS has their own eBay store-front:

http://stores.ebay.com/Old-Buick-Parts

Sure enough, the Front Bumper Fillers are available on the eBay store front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Buick-Special-Skylark-GS-Front-Bumper-Fillers-OEM-1369976-FF65-/172268634472

The price was about 1 dollar more than the actual CARS website, but CARS honors the eBay standard shipping of $5.25.  So that turned out to be the cheapest way to buy just these Bumper Fillers.  I cruised the CARS product listing but there wasn't anything I really need right now, so I finally settled on buying them from the CARS eBay store front.

So indeed with a little time you can save a few bucks here and there.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Photo of CARS reproduction (Re: 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers?)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick "parts connoisseurs,"

The CARS reproduction of the 1965 Rubber Front Bumper Fillers arrived yesterday via USPS.  Here is a picture of the pair:

I'm no expert on this part, but it looks very well cast in my eyes.

I'll look into installing them myself, but I am feeling a bit chicken about it.  Alas, my trusty wagon has had two frontal collisions.  This is a replacement and relatively straight front bumper, but body shops can only do so much to get the frame back into alignment.  If Biquette was fresh off the Fremont plant, it might not be too difficult to loosen up the bumper and add the rubber fillers.  Alas, if things have been "forced" a bit, loosening up the bumper might be easy, but getting it back might be extremely hard!  :BangHead:  I already have a queue of body work that will have to be done by a professional and there is a highly recommended body shop in the area.  So installing these may also get added to that queue.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: