Author Topic: 3 More 65 GS restoration Questions - Thanks!  (Read 5337 times)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 3 More 65 GS restoration Questions - Thanks!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
Guys,

The driver's side remote control mirror appears in the Fourth Group as code "F". I don't think that it's part of the convenience group options. Walt, that makes sense about the back-up lights being part of the bumper installation and would not be a part of Fisher Body codes. The shorty console is a possibility. However, I wonder if that bracket for the automatic console is the same as used for the 4-speed console? Do 4-speed GSs without a shorty console have that bracket? Dan, when you attempted to install the shorty console in your 4-speed, was there a small bracket welded to the floor?  Rear speakers or rear window defrost does not sound correct.  Rob has a convertible.

Rob, since you do not have a clock, which would not require body piercing anyway, that throws that theory out the window.

Al, you have a wealth of literature that I don't think anyone else has seen before.  Keep 'em coming.  Do you have anything regarding Fisher Body trim tag codes for the '65 Buick? Do you care to speculate what the "P' code may indicate.

I'm sure that one day we will figure all the codes out.  Just gotta keep sharing and researching.

John Egel
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:01:02 PM by nut465gs »

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
Option code 2P is definitely back up lights.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »
John,

There was nothing on the floor of my car for the shorty console and it is definitely the original floor.

I think that 2 R is the rear seat speaker. Can anyone confirm that ? These were N/A on convertibles.

What about 'positive traction differential' ? Would that require a code ?

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »
Hi Guys

I have removed several consolettes over the past 40 yrs. and have never seen a bracket for the consolette. The base was apparently put on over the shift handle (in neutral) then bolted down with 4 sheet metal bolts then the top plate was installed. ???

Per the order form, rear seat speaker or defroster was not avail on the converts.

Codes
All the codes I have are off the orig. owners manual Vehicle Ident. Plate installed by the dealer. None of the codes match the body tag.
I have never found any one that could point me in a direction at fisher body to get questions answered.

Enclosed is a copy of my info, hope it helps somewhere along the line

Al
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 06:02:53 AM »
Guys,

Just to clarify. . . the shorty console Walt and I made reference to is the storage console for GSs with the 4-speed. Not the 4-speed shifter consolette. Dan probably has a photo of one. The question I have, is a bracket welded to the floor necessary to bolt the shorty storage console to the floor.  If so, is it the same bracket as what is welded to the floor that is necessary for bolting down the automatic's long consolete?  Here is a photo of that bracket on a automatic car.

I just noticed on Rob's GS (from his registration) that he has a radio delete car. That would mean that Fisher Body would not need to punch an antennae hole in the fender.  You don't suppose . . .

John
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:14:57 AM by nut465gs »

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »
John,

From what I know about GM assembly, the front sheetmetal, or "chassis" sheetmetal, was not Fisher Body, but installed on the line after the bodies were delivered to the plant. Therefore, I'm thinking there wasn't a code for that (?).

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
Tom,

What makes you so sure that 2P is the backup lights ? C'mon, disclose your source. LOL

Per John's request a picture of the 'shorty console'.

Dan

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
Al, thanks for posting the pic of the build sheet you found under the carpet! That's the first I've seen of a 1965 build sheet. GREAT info. I guess the elusive 2P code would be on the portion that didn't survive.... That figures. :'(
There's a 1966 build sheet posted in the gallery for comparison.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »
Tom,

What makes you so sure that 2P is the backup lights ? C'mon, disclose your source. LOL

Per John's request a picture of the 'shorty console'.

Dan

That's is what Duane Heckman over on V8 and the BPG boards told me about my car when I asked him to decode the firewall tag a few years ago. I really don't have a reason to doubt him.......  He told me then that he has many of those codes, butnot a complete set. I just took that as being 98.7368% correct. ;D ;D
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Sorry guys.  If my registration says "radio delete", then I made a mistake.  My car has a radio so no help there on the body plate.  These days you have to be a techie and a motor head.  If I knew how to even find my registration info i would change it.

My car's options (or lack thereof) are manual windows, 4spd, am radio, no clock, no special trim, back up lights,  rally wheels (appear original), tinted windshield, window washer, no consolette, no remote conttrol mirror, no positraction   

The plate says: 
 W 2 LP 4S 5w
vin is 444675H250245

Appears to have been built in April 65.  I wrote to the sloan museum to see if they had any info on my car. they didn't.  They sent me a blank (options) order form from back then, which I presume you guys have seen.
Rob K
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
Rob

Is the posts i put on last night large enough to read? If not i will repost larger. I have been told it is to small to read or print?
The front shows the codes for all 3 GS's models. The back then describes the equipment in the various "packages".
The build plate is good for checking color, build date,int. color, body style, and series.
Will be posting another sheet shortly on options / prices. These are from the "buick salesman's pocket directory".

Al ;D
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »
Tim, Duane is a very knowledgeable man. Knows lots about Buick's. Based on his opinion and Rob's description of his car I am going back to my original answer - 2P = backup lights.  ::)

Al, thanks for the postings !! Glad to see you on this site.

Dan

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
John, nut465gs I have taken many consolettes and short storage consoles out and they were all screwed to the floor no bracket! (skylarks ,gs ). In big cars that I have taken storage consoles out of they were cut different on the bottom to match the shape of the floor and some had the bracket, if they used the iron board style storage console (early not correct for gs as they sit to high and you can not put your car in 4th gear!) . Hope this helps! John and others did you see the 4S W15 code also on the built sheet ( gran sport!) and the 3B code for rear defog? WOW!   I just saw a 65 lark that was original with the storage console and had a 2o code on the firewall!, it had 31,000 miles!Jon

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 12:32:26 AM »
Hi guys

Enclosed is the copy for factory installed options on the 65 specials.

The only ref I can find for code 2P or P2 is for carpet savers. This comes from the salesmans handbook and the factory order sheet.

Have contacted several people that used to work in fisher body in Flint, nothing yet.

Al
p.s. as a heart patient, on lasix, go easy on the 2P. ;D ;D LOL
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277