Author Topic: 3 More 65 GS restoration Questions - Thanks!  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
3 More 65 GS restoration Questions - Thanks!
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »
Question #1.  I need new exhaust manifolds.  There are two sets on ebay right now. Any Ideas on which set would  correct or best for my 65?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUICK-NAILHEAD-RAT-ROD-MUSCLE-CAR-EXHAUST-MANIFOLDS_W0QQitemZ280384910968QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item41483e3678&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-nailhead-exhaust-manifolds-60-s_W0QQitemZ170351145329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a9b83171&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Question #2.   There is a bracket under my hood that looks like it is suppose hold a small bottle.  My dad (a street rod guy)  thinks it's for washer fluid concentrate for mixing.  Did 65 Gs's ever have a washer fluid mixing system?  Any ideas?

Question #3  I am having trouble decoding my body plate (2nd line)  it reads:
 W 2LP 4S 5W     Any help appreciated

As always, thank you.  Rob Keena

65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 3 More 65 GS restoration Questions - Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
Rob,

#1 - The first link you posted are the right ones for a GS. The other set won't fit.

#2 - Need a pic of the bracket!

#3 - Walt Kilgus or John Egle probably have the answers, or can get close.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Number 2- yes these cars had a spare washer fluid bottle. It's available at most of the Buick venders for around 75 bucks.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »
Joe, are you talking about the triangulr glass bottle ?
I thought $30.00 was high around here for them.

Rob, the glass bottle held a mixture that was for adding to the washer fluid tank and also a gas line deicer.
Original color was green . for what it's worth.
If the car had the windshield washer option, it had the holder and bottle.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »
Joe, are you talking about the triangulr glass bottle ?
I thought $30.00 was high around here for them.

Rob, the glass bottle held a mixture that was for adding to the washer fluid tank and also a gas line deicer.
Original color was green . for what it's worth.
If the car had the windshield washer option, it had the holder and bottle.

Loren

You maybe right Loren thanks.

I do remember I had to buy the bottle, cap and sticker. All seperate for purchase.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »
Rob,

I think the tag shows:  W - tinted windshield, L - 4 speed transmission, P - backup lights (?), S - ?, W - retracting seat belts.

Of course if this is not correct someone will let us know.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
As always thanks for the info.  Does anyone know what the bottle is called or where I might go to find it?  I also appreciate the help with the de-coding.  That last part seems to be a mystery.

Rob K

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
Hi Rob,

Question #2.  You can get an entire Optikleen Washer Bottle Kit from Original Parts Group.  www.opgi.com  It includes the bottle, lid, label and stainless steel bracket for around $50.  Loren, I did not know that it should be green fluid.  Here's a photo of mine with blue fluid.

Question #3.  Here's what I have so far for your particular codes...
First group
W = Tinted windshield only
Second group
L = 4-speed transmission
P = not sure at this time, may be clock
Third group
You have none of these options. H = wide beltline trim at side windows, B = rear window defogger
Fourth group
S = not sure at this time, might be some trim code
Fifth group
W = Custom seat belts with retractors

Regarding the "P" code in the second Group, it has been suggested that it could be Push Button Radio, Rear Speaker, Clock or Back up lights. I am leaning towards Clock for these reasons. My convertible does not have a "P" code, however, it does have a Push Button Radio and Back up Lights. Most '65 GS came with these two options. When I was the Record Keeper of the '65 GS Registry, I went through all the information from submitted trim tags and compared with options listed. There was a pattern that if they had a clock, they also had the "P" code.  Rob, does your GS have a factory clock? There was not enough data to eliminate a rear speaker as a possibility.

I would like to review these records again, but Chris has all the Registry documents now.  Chris, feel like spending a weekend doing research?

Rob, you and Mark need to get together. Mark's work can be an inspiration to help you stay on target with your restoration.  Good luck.

John Egel

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:50:13 PM by nut465gs »

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »

Regarding the "P" code in the second Group, it has been suggested that it could be Push Button Radio, Rear Speaker, Clock or Back up lights. I am leaning towards Clock for these reasons. My convertible does not have a "P" code, however, it does have a Push Button Radio and Back up Lights. Most '65 GS came with these two options.

John Egel

John, This is what I am thinking....the data plate is from Fisher Body, so it generally only lists those options that require body modifications. Whether they be major mods like a floor shifter cutout, or minor mods like a remote control mirror that requires a hole in the door.
Options that can be installed on the assembly line would not need to be listed on the cowl plate. (Chrome wheels or hub caps)
Was the clock part of a 'convenience group'  option package (like 1966) that also included a remote side mirror? If yes, it could have been one of the codes necessary on the cowl plate (since door would need additional holes drilled).
Rear speaker: One of my 66's has a blue wire for a rear speaker option. The wire is underneath the tar sound insulation on the floor. That would also have been installed at Fisher body, so rear speaker may also qualify as a cowl plate code.

You may already be aware of the Camaro assembly plant description here:
http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml#fishertrim
It's a great read!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
John,
The only reason I know the fluid is green, is that , when I restored the Champagne GS, I had a good friend that was the parts manager at a Chevrolet  dealership. He managed to find some original fluid for me. Some luck , hey.

"S" trim code?
 Walt,
Yes , the clock was part of a convenience group. I think it also included the anti-glare mirror and trunk light?
I do know that the courtesy lights under the dash, the ash tray light, glove box light  and the dual horns were standard on Skylarks. The dual speed wiper and washers were an option. Code?

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:05:20 AM »
Walt,

Your thoughts about the "P" code not being a clock code is very logical.  There are no body piercing involved to add a clock. Any other ideas about what it could be?

I forgot to mention, that the second group of '65 Buick Skylark codes also contains an "R" code. Someone (maybe Jon T.) told me that was the rear speaker code. Which is the same code used by Oldsmobile in '65.   http://442bro.com/  However, that may or may not pertain to Buick.  The link that you had in your last post about the Camaro's was fantastic.  Very thorough and informative. Some of those Fisher Body codes may or may not help with decoding some of our questions.  Someday we may have all the answers.

John Egel

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:54:17 AM »
John, if the clock/convenience group included a remote side mirror then the door would have to have been drilled for the mirror control cable. Maybe Fisher body drilled the holes, or maybe it was done on Buick's assembly line. But then again, if the holes were punched in (not drilled), then I bet it was done at Fisher body....and the clock/convenience option would be a code on the cowl tag.
   According to the Camaro build article, rear speakers and rear defrosters were installed by Fisher Body. Therefore they shoiuld both have corresponding codes.
   Rear backup lamps.....Bumpers would have been installed on the Buick assembly line. So unless the b/u light required different wiring or additional switches, I would guess b/u light info would NOT be on the cowl tag.
   Other codes?   a 'short' storage consolette would require a bracket welded on the floor. Were rear seat belts and windshield washers standard or optional on the GS?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Guys,

You are undoubtedly correct in that the P code is not backup lights.

The convenience group is a very good possibility if it did not include the remote control mirror. The mirror is shown as a separate option on the order form so it probably was not included. My car has the P code and has a clock, anti-glare mirror and trunk light but NO remote mirror.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »
Guys,

I really appreciate all the insight.   For what it's worth this car does not have a clock.  It has a clock blank with no motor or hands but no working clock.  It does have back up lights.  No sign of a rear speaker, but this is a convertible so i can only guess where it would be since there is really no rear window deck.

Rob K

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Rob
Hopefully this gets thru. sending a copy of both sides of an orig. order form and a copy of my shipping order.

Al
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277