Author Topic: Dusty  (Read 4720 times)

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
Re: Dusty
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
62 Skylark "daily driver" . . . . . (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Dear Barb, TrunkMonkey, and mid-60s Buick fans of "sleeper" cars, . . . . .

... I need a smaller car.

A '62 Skylark is small.

. . . . Yeah, I like it!  Subtle, understated, not going to attract any attention, and besides it must get great gas mileage!! . . . .

I dunno' but I just don't think this one is going to fly!
. . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: 62 Skylark "daily driver" . . . . . (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »

I dunno' but I just don't think this one is going to fly![/font][/size] . . . . .

Maybe if you put wings and a propeller on it ?

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »

A '62 Skylark is small.

. . . . Yeah, I like it!  Subtle, understated, not going to attract any attention, and besides it must get great gas mileage!! . . . .

. . . . .

I'm starting to like it.[emoji1]

kicking Dust.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »

I dunno' but I just don't think this one is going to fly![/font][/size] . . . . .

Maybe if you put wings and a propeller on it ?

Loren

Well not a single police officer would dare to ticket me. I mean how cool would this look on everyday drive. [emoji16] [emoji171]

A '62 Skylark is small.

. . . . .

I'm starting to like it.[emoji1]

kicking Dust.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
You haven't heard the idle yet! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
Dear Barb and fans of "assertive" mid-60s Buicks,

A '62 Skylark is small.

I'm starting to like it.

Well, it might look extremely cool as a picture, but you haven't heard the idle yet!  I suspect that even with electronic fuel injection it would be a difficult car to drive.  Oh, and if you like to listen to music on your way to work . . . . . forget it!!

P.S.  Of course you could compromise and start adding to Dusty just a bit of that CHROME!!  :sunny:

P.P.S. . . . Not trying to tempt you or anything . . . . . .

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
Huffer whine IS music!  :glasses9:
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Da' Devil made me do it!! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
Dear TrunkMonkey and mid-60s Buick "audiophiles," . . . .

Huffer whine IS music!  :glasses9:

. . . . So tell me, do you have recordings of that whine on your iPod so that you can play it through your earbuds while you exercise for your own good health!! . . . .

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:10 PM »
Oui! But, of course. And erstwhile, enjoy a bit of St. Albray with such a strong whine!   :tongue3:
Michael

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Any success with fixing Dusty's horn? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick harried caregivers,

The holidaze are very much upon us and that might leave little time for our 4-wheeled friends.  Still, I thought I would ask if you had managed to make some headway trying to troubleshoot Dusty's horn electrical problems.  :icon_scratch:

If you have questions  :help: we certainly have answers!  :read2:  Correct answers?  Well, that might be a wee bit harder to come by!  :laughing7:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick harried caregivers,

The holidaze are very much upon us and that might leave little time for our 4-wheeled friends.  Still, I thought I would ask if you had managed to make some headway trying to troubleshoot Dusty's horn electrical problems.  :icon_scratch:

If you have questions  :help: we certainly have answers!  :read2:  Correct answers?  Well, that might be a wee bit harder to come by!  :laughing7:

Unfortunately,  I had not played with Dusty.  I had a medical emergency with one of the granddaughters. It probably will be in the beginning of the new year when I get to de stress playing with Dusty. He is being patient like always.  It got cold in Austin  (40?) Dnt laugh . I wanted to ask for advice about cold weather but felt foolish because most of you are really experiencing winter.  He did had low tires, but he is indoors with temperature control garage.  I have started him every morning and just letting idle for 15 mins. Well it is now 70? so our winter is over. I will definitely ask for advise when I get to it.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Sorry about your granddaughter - Dusty should be fine. (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
Dear Barb and caregivers of all sorts,

Unfortunately,  I had not played with Dusty.  I had a medical emergency with one of the granddaughters.

Sorry to hear that.  Normally the grandparents shouldn't have to be the first responders.  I hope you were able to bring things under control.

It probably will be in the beginning of the new year when I get to de stress playing with Dusty. He is being patient like always. 

Well, it isn't like he has much of a choice.  That doesn't mean he is happy about it!

My trusty wagon has been grounded until yesterday when I finally got my hands on a vented gas cap.  Of course today it started raining!

It got cold in Austin  (40?)

. . . Don't you have a personal weather station at your house so that you know exactly how cold it got at your house to within a 1/10 of a degree? . . . .  :laughing7:

Don't laugh . I wanted to ask for advice about cold weather but felt foolish because most of you are really experiencing winter.  He did had low tires, but he is indoors with temperature control garage.  I have started him every morning and just letting idle for 15 mins.

Dusty should be fine so long as the temperature in the garage doesn't go below something like 5? F below freezing and even that would have to be for an extended period of time.  Dusty's fluids are substantial, it would take a long time for any freezing to occur.  I assume Dusty has a bit of antifreeze in the coolant to inhibit rust.

You don't have to start Dusty every day.  I prefer to have Biquette out on the road every other week, but she can sit for longer than that and still start up fine.  I'm not saying she likes it, but she will put up with it.  Dusty has a carburetor, Dusty might need to be started more frequently if you don't want the carburetor to drain, but even if you let that happen, Dusty will start eventually after the fuel reaches the carburetor.

The tires should be fine.  I've forgotten the physics equations but the effect of temperature is small.  If the tires are low, you should try to bring them up to normal pressure whenever you can spare the time.

Well it is now 70? so our winter is over. I will definitely ask for advise when I get to it.

Well yes summer may be back for . . . . this week!  . . . Haven't you heard about "climate change?"  These days what used to take a whole 4 seasons can happen within the same week!   :sunny:  

Take it easy and avoid d'em holidaze! . . . .  :tongue3:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »
Dear Barb and caregivers of all sorts,

Unfortunately,  I had not played with Dusty.  I had a medical emergency with one of the granddaughters.

Sorry to hear that.  Normally the grandparents shouldn't have to be the first responders.  I hope you were able to bring things under control.

It probably will be in the beginning of the new year when I get to de stress playing with Dusty. He is being patient like always. 

Well, it isn't like he has much of a choice.  That doesn't mean he is happy about it!

My trusty wagon has been grounded until yesterday when I finally got my hands on a vented gas cap.  Of course today it started raining!

It got cold in Austin  (40?)

. . . Don't you have a personal weather station at your house so that you know exactly how cold it got at your house to within a 1/10 of a degree? . . . .  :laughing7:

Don't laugh . I wanted to ask for advice about cold weather but felt foolish because most of you are really experiencing winter.  He did had low tires, but he is indoors with temperature control garage.  I have started him every morning and just letting idle for 15 mins.

Dusty should be fine so long as the temperature in the garage doesn't go below something like 5? F below freezing and even that would have to be for an extended period of time.  Dusty's fluids are substantial, it would take a long time for any freezing to occur.  I assume Dusty has a bit of antifreeze in the coolant to inhibit rust.

You don't have to start Dusty every day.  I prefer to have Biquette out on the road every other week, but she can sit for longer than that and still start up fine.  I'm not saying she likes it, but she will put up with it.  Dusty has a carburetor, Dusty might need to be started more frequently if you don't want the carburetor to drain, but even if you let that happen, Dusty will start eventually after the fuel reaches the carburetor.

The tires should be fine.  I've forgotten the physics equations but the effect of temperature is small.  If the tires are low, you should try to bring them up to normal pressure whenever you can spare the time.

Well it is now 70? so our winter is over. I will definitely ask for advise when I get to it.

Well yes summer may be back for . . . . this week!  . . . Haven't you heard about "climate change?"  These days what used to take a whole 4 seasons can happen within the same week!   :sunny:  

Take it easy and avoid d'em holidaze! . . . .  :tongue3:

Thanks, will do.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Biquette sends Dusty a Christmas card (Re: Dusty)
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers who are overwhelmed by the holidays, . . . .

Given the proximity to Christmas, I suspect you have your hands full and would not have time to keep an eye on this forum.  Still since we seem to have the only two cars with proper names Biquette thought to share a Christmas card with Dusty that you'll find on this posting:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3214.0

Wishing you and Dusty a blessed Christmas and a 2017 that gives you and Dusty more time to bond on the road!