Author Topic: Dusty  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dusty
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
Dear Barb, Loren, and mid-60s Buick multi-taskers,

I need to get back your engine bay cleaning question, but there is something in this picture I thought I should mention first.

Here is Dusty in his room. He will take a bath tomorrow

Dusty's power steering pump isn't from 1965 but a later year.  Here is what the 1965 pump looks like:

It is the cylindrical black object to the left with the required belt.  So if you want Dusty to be original, you might want to swap that for a 1965.  Also, the pump that's there look to be mounted in an awkward way.  I don't recall that pump being used on a 1965, but I could have forgotten.

Hey, the rest of you guys, does the current pump look okay?

Anyway, the one observation I did make.

Cheers, Edouard

Oh I did not know, I will ask the husband. I wonder if is there from the 455. There are some parts that were kept from when Dusty was at the track. Hi performance stuff.  I found boxes of cool things that I had no idea what they were. Turns out that it was all high performance things.
Dear Barb, Loren, and mid-60s Buick multi-taskers,

I need to get back your engine bay cleaning question, but there is something in this picture I thought I should mention first.

Dusty's power steering pump isn't from 1965 but a later year.  Here is what the 1965 pump looks like:

It is the cylindrical black object to the left with the required belt.  So if you want Dusty to be original, you might want to swap that for a 1965.  Also, the pump that's there look to be mounted in an awkward way.  I don't recall that pump being used on a 1965, but I could have forgotten.

Hey, the rest of you guys, does the current pump look okay?

Anyway, the one observation I did make.

Cheers, Edouard

Oh I did not know, I will ask the husband. I wonder if is there from the 455. There are some parts that were kept from when Dusty was at the track. Hi performance stuff.  I found boxes of cool things that I had no idea what they were. Turns out that it was all high performance things.

kicking Dust.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
And those valve covers aren't correct either. (but I think they look better)
Engine should be green. the 340 engine was red in 1966 and 1967.

For cleaning, a pressure washer would be fastest but there is the danger of getting water where it isn't supposed to be. A more gentle approach could be something as simple as Dawn detergent or Simple Green and using brushes or a stiff paint brush to scrub greasy areas.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »
And those valve covers aren't correct either. (but I think they look better)
Engine should be green. the 340 engine was red in 1966 and 1967.

For cleaning, a pressure washer would be fastest but there is the danger of getting water where it isn't supposed to be. A more gentle approach could be something as simple as Dawn detergent or Simple Green and using brushes or a stiff paint brush to scrub greasy areas.
The husband hated the green so he got it painted red.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Denatured mineral spirits? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
Dear Barb, Loren, Walt, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Sorry for being so slow to get to this question, but alas that how crazy things are going these days.

Hi guys , quick question. What is the best way for me to clean the dust under the hood  Is 16 yrs  old. I'm that person who tends to break things by just looking at it.

I still haven't cleaned my engine bay and it was brand new only last year, so count me as seriously chicken around the engine bay.  If you think what you are seeing is mostly dust, you might try wiping the areas with Denatured mineral spirits.  Something like this product:

https://www.zoro.com/sunnyside-mineral-spirits-1-gal-803g1/i/G2783322/?gclid=COvLidT109ACFQ9EfgodKp8B-w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Basically this is a solvent-based degreaser.  the solvent will evaporate faster than water so it isn't as likely to do harm as water.  You can find this sort of thing at any hardware or home improvement store in the paint section.  I had good luck removing grease and dust on my wagon's engine before the September car show she attended.

I'm trying to pluck up my courage to actually clean the engine bay.  It is due.  I found this video on You-Tube that seemed to have some good ideas:

https://youtu.be/P3m2-u0KpPk

I liked the idea of protecting the electrical components with aluminum foil.  I don't own a power-washer, but I was impressed by how a power-washer removed the grease while using less water that could contaminate engine components.  I also liked his idea of getting some sort of large pad to trap the oil.  I haven't figure out what sort of pads he was buying, but I want to use that technique.

I have an old handheld steam cleaner (an early product of the Shark cleaning line.)  That might work like a power washer with the added advantage the high temperature of steam.  So that's another possibility.

I hope that's a little help.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S.  You might have already figured this out, but having disposable latex or nitrite gloves can be really handy around the engine bay.  I buy them at Costco, but you might be able to get even a better deal because of your salon work.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Pulleys need to be precisely aligned (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Sorry for not getting back to this post until now, but . . . . I'm just that slammed for time.

Dusty's power steering pump isn't from 1965 but a later year.  Also, the pump that's there look to be mounted in an awkward way.  I don't recall that pump being used on a 1965, but I could have forgotten.

The reason I expressed some concern is that the belts really need to be in straight line so they don't put stresses on the bearings of the various components.  The water pump on Biquette's current engine was damaged because one of the belts was just a bit out of line.  The error wasn't visible by eye.

If you have the original power steering pump, you will get the correct alignment simply by assembling the parts back together as Buick intended.  It is always possible to use another kind of pump, but then some custom adjustments are needed to get that pump pulley in precisely the correct position.

That's why I tossed the question out to the wider group.  Most of these guys have spent a lot of time looking at 1965 Buicks for sale and would know if swapping the power steering pump is common or not.  I just take care of exactly - one - Buick!  So I simply don't know!

I hope that helps!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. Well, that's not true.  I take care of 2 Buicks, but the other is a youngster at 16 years old!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »

Sorry for not getting back to this post until now, but . . . . I'm just that slammed for time.

Dusty's power steering pump isn't from 1965 but a later year.  Also, the pump that's there look to be mounted in an awkward way.  I don't recall that pump being used on a 1965, but I could have forgotten.

The reason I expressed some concern is that the belts really need to be in straight line so they don't put stresses on the bearings of the various components.  The water pump on Biquette's current engine was damaged because one of the belts was just a bit out of line.  The error wasn't visible by eye.

If you have the original power steering pump, you will get the correct alignment simply by assembling the parts back together as Buick intended.  It is always possible to use another kind of pump, but then some custom adjustments are needed to get that pump pulley in precisely the correct position.

That's why I tossed the question out to the wider group.  Most of these guys have spent a lot of time looking at 1965 Buicks for sale and would know if swapping the power steering pump is common or not.  I just take care of exactly - one - Buick!  So I simply don't know!

I hope that helps!

P.S. Well, that's not true.  I take care of 2 Buicks, but the other is a youngster at 16 years old!

Thanks for your input and suggestions I asked the husband  and he said he was not the one that changed it. When he got Dusty 20 plus years ago, he removed  this engine and put it away. Then he had the 455 installed when Dusty was at the track. Before Dusty was put away his original engine  was put back. The husband has really has not had the passion to repair cars he always had  someone  else work on them. In the other hand I had this passion since I was a kid. I grew up around Fords. We now own three Buicks, Dusty being our Senior. My passion  has me learning and taking advise from all of you. By any means I am not a mechanic, but I am very tool handy.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

No new pics since sunday. Tomorrow Dusty is taking a long over due bath. He is not all shiny under the hood, but before I take a good pic he needs to get cleaned up. Nothing chrome, we are a bit anti chrome.

Don't be concerned about "keeping up with the restorations."  There are cars in every condition around here and photographs aren't about showing off so much as allowing us to understand the condition of each other's cars and learn from one another.  I was very good about taking photographs about the various stages of putting my trusty wagon back together so when someone else has a problem, sometimes I can provide them with a picture of how to assemble or disassemble a component.

I was curious to see how Dusty's engine bay looked like since Dusty's engine had been removed and put back.  The forums collective "eyes" might spot something that you would find interesting and even perhaps spot a problem before it gets serious. 

When I was a kid, the men of the neighborhood would always get together whenever someone had a car with the hood up.  These days we have to do this via the Internet, but the camaraderie remains the same!

P.S. My trusty wagon is also in need of a "bubble bath."  She was last washed and waxed on Labor day.  I just don't know when I can find the time!

kicking Dust.

If you're not to concerned with originality, the power steering pump will work fine. In case anyone didn't know, the entire PS set up, including brackets, from a later model Buick 350 engine will bolt onto the original 300 engine. All you need to ensure is the fan belts line up correctly. I did this swap on my old 64 Skylark convert at least 10 years ago.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »

No new pics since sunday. Tomorrow Dusty is taking a long over due bath. He is not all shiny under the hood, but before I take a good pic he needs to get cleaned up. Nothing chrome, we are a bit anti chrome.

Don't be concerned about "keeping up with the restorations."  There are cars in every condition around here and photographs aren't about showing off so much as allowing us to understand the condition of each other's cars and learn from one another.  I was very good about taking photographs about the various stages of putting my trusty wagon back together so when someone else has a problem, sometimes I can provide them with a picture of how to assemble or disassemble a component.

I was curious to see how Dusty's engine bay looked like since Dusty's engine had been removed and put back.  The forums collective "eyes" might spot something that you would find interesting and even perhaps spot a problem before it gets serious. 

When I was a kid, the men of the neighborhood would always get together whenever someone had a car with the hood up.  These days we have to do this via the Internet, but the camaraderie remains the same!

P.S. My trusty wagon is also in need of a "bubble bath."  She was last washed and waxed on Labor day.  I just don't know when I can find the time!

kicking Dust.

If you're not to concerned with originality, the power steering pump will work fine. In case anyone didn't know, the entire PS set up, including brackets, from a later model Buick 350 engine will bolt onto the original 300 engine. All you need to ensure is the fan belts line up correctly. I did this swap on my old 64 Skylark convert at least 10 years ago.

Thank you  for the information. At this moment we are just repairing the things that  need to be replaced. We have a lot of small cosmetics things. Main thing  first, horns, inspection, then redo the break system. I see most folks have a dual master cylinder I understand  the safety behind that.  My husband  is not in a hurry, it is me who is impatient. Dusty has sat in the garage way too long. So far it has taken 8 months  since he took his first steps out of the garage. I have dreams to take drive him to Bowling  Green next year.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Oooh! This I didn't know! (Re: Dusty)
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
Dear Barb, Tom, and caregivers of Buicks of all ages!

In the other hand I had this passion since I was a kid. I grew up around Fords. We now own three Buicks, Dusty being our Senior. My passion  has me learning and taking advise from all of you. By any means I am not a mechanic, but I am very tool handy.

Oooh, now this is interesting!  So tell me what are the ages of your other Buicks and do they all have names?

. . . . This I didn't know!  This is especially good news because you can get GM Saginaw power steering pump in . . . . . CHROME!!

It's a darn shame that Dusty's engine bay is "basic black" . . . .  :laughing7:

Seriously, I didn't know it was so straightforward.  Indeed as long a you aren't into originality, why not go with the more modern (and easily obtainable) power steering pump!  Best of all, they even come in . . . . black!  :laughing7:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »
Dear Barb, Tom, and caregivers of Buicks of all ages!

In the other hand I had this passion since I was a kid. I grew up around Fords. We now own three Buicks, Dusty being our Senior. My passion  has me learning and taking advise from all of you. By any means I am not a mechanic, but I am very tool handy.

Oooh, now this is interesting!  So tell me what are the ages of your other Buicks and do they all have names?

. . . . This I didn't know!  This is especially good news because you can get GM Saginaw power steering pump in . . . . . CHROME!!

It's a darn shame that Dusty's engine bay is "basic black" . . . .  :laughing7:

Seriously, I didn't know it was so straightforward.  Indeed as long a you aren't into originality, why not go with the more modern (and easily obtainable) power steering pump!  Best of all, they even come in . . . . black!  :laughing7:

I love your idea.[emoji28]  imagine Dusty all shiny....  That vision blinded my eyes.[emoji1]  maybe in the near future. Thanks guys.

kicking Dust.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
05 Revenous,  04 Lesable,   we tend to hold on to them. In February I will pick up my next one, probably a Verano.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Buick's need time to mature! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick "vintners"

05 Revenous,  04 Lesable,   we tend to hold on to them. In February I will pick up my next one, probably a Verano.

. . . .  Hey, you aren't giving your Buicks the proper time to age properly!  Buicks are a like a fine wine!  They get better with age! . . . . .

Our other Buick is a 2000 Buick Century named "Coquette":

Of course it helps not to put too many miles on a car if you want to keep it!  Coquette only has 50,000 miles right now.

Coquette is another French slang word which roughly translates as a young women who is very trendy in matter like dress and is eager to please.  Starting with Biquette all our car names have the first letter that matches either the make or model of the car and have to end in 'ette'.  It ain't easy, but we've managed to keep up this name convention since 1968!

Thanks Barb for sharing!

P.S. I added the Phillips aftermarket daytime running lights are are mounted in the lower corners of Coquette.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
We plan to keep  all of our fine cars. We had 02 Park Avenue  that got tboned, so we had to replace it with the 05 Revenous. I have looked at the Verano because  I need a smaller car.

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
... I need a smaller car.

A '62 Skylark is small.

It would go well with a '65 Skylark...  :idea1:

Call it. "Less Dusty".
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
... I need a smaller car.

A '62 Skylark is small.

It would go well with a '65 Skylark...  :idea1:

Call it. "Less Dusty".
Wow, yeah that would be amazing.  Could I get it for 25k??

kicking Dust.