Author Topic: Dusty  (Read 4705 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
That's great to hear! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

All great questions,  Dusty has kept all his original parts. The husband said he thinks his engine is original but one number is missing.

Well that's very good news!  When a big-block is swapped into cars like this, often the original parts are simply discarded.  So you have a very original car - definitely a good thing!

On the valve covers and engine the husband had them painted red cause he did not like the original green. LOL .

. . . Oh da' shame!! . . . .

I hardly remember the original nailgreen green color of our wagon's engine because we had the engine rebuilt in 1979 and sadly we had a local guy rebuild it who painted the engine Chevy blue . .  :nono:

Her engine remained Chevy blue even after a second rebuild in 2001 (in which I basically begged to have the engine repainted the correct color - to no avail.)  She didn't get back her original engine color basically until last year:

Of course, you might notice that something new has been added to the engine bay!!  :laughing7:

So if you have to have Dusty's engine rebuilt someday, perhaps you can prevail upon your husband to get Dusty's engine back to the correct nailhead green.

Unfortunately I did not know about original carburetor at the time I replace it so it has an Elderbrook. When is time to replace I will get him the Carter. 

Well, you might not have to rush on that item either.  My wagon was fitted with an Edelbrock Performer carburetor for a time and having done some research, there is at least one claim that the Edelbrock Performer might be a reproduction of the Carter AFB:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3088.0

However, I would like to dig up more information about the claim.  If the Performer is a reproduction, it probably needs tweaking at least to work well on the Buick 300.  I wasn't happy when it was on my wagon, but it could have been a matter of being badly adjusted.

We repaired the AC selector wire 2 weeks ago and we got cold air.

That's also great news!  The system probably needs a service and refrigerant recharge, but otherwise is in good shape.

The white cloth they describe is the headliner,  question on that. Did it have in the outside? Like a rood top? I could not imagine why they would bother stamping the cloth color. But Dusty has it, a bit discolored.

On that question I think you'll need some help from the other guys on the forum.  Dusty had the codes for the vinyl top but the 1965 GS decoder does have the code for the number 0.  So 1965 Buick experts: what does the vinyl top code 0 stand for?

Once more congratulations and enjoy Dusty!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Current "shoes" that Dusty is wearing? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »

I suppose that Dusty went in for mechanical "reawaking," one of the things that were replaced were the 16+ year old tires.  Your pictures shows what look like BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.  Is that what Dusty is sporting now?  Do you know the size of the tires and wheel rims?

Just curious!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: That's great to hear! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »

On that question I think you'll need some help from the other guys on the forum.  Dusty had the codes for the vinyl top but the 1965 GS decoder does have the code for the number 0.  So 1965 Buick experts: what does the vinyl top code 0 stand for?

Cowl tag shows a bench seat fawn interior.  The paint code is S C , Sahara Mist with a white painted roof inside the trim.

Loren
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:19:03 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dusty
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »

I suppose that Dusty went in for mechanical "reawaking," one of the things that were replaced were the 16+ year old tires.  Your pictures shows what look like BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.  Is that what Dusty is sporting now?  Do you know the size of the tires and wheel rims?

Just curious!

The wheels he has worn since the husband  bought him over 20 yrs ago not sure the brand. He had  those radial tires after he retired from the track. Unfortunately  I had a blow out a few weeks ago when I was driving. The husband changed  all the tires to Cooper 225/70/14.  Thanks for asking.
Hi every one this is Dusty. He is a fine gentleman. My husband has own him for over 20 yrs.  16 yrs ago he put Dusty in the garage and had not moved since. This spring I was cleaning the garage adding more boxes on top of Dusty. Then he spoke to me and asked me to take him for a spin. I try to start him and he did not.  That night I asked my husband if I could get Dusty running again. He said what is the point. I told him I would pay any repairs and needs. Knowing I would not back out he said ok. Next morning a tow truck arrived and Dusty jump up. It took a week to replace carburetor,  alternator, and minor things. I drove him home and I was in love. Now is some cosmetic things and bringing him up to street code. My husband helps me now since I have no mechanical skills other then the manual. So if I ask a lot of silly questions is because my lack of knowledge.  I am very wiling to take advise from anyone.  I appriciate all of your comments and your knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »

Cowl tag shows a bench seat fawn interior.  The paint code is S C , Sahara Mist with a white painted roof inside the trim.

Loren
Yes Dusty' headliner is white.

Loren
Yes Dusty' headliner is white.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Blackwall, whitewall, or raised lettering tires? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick "podiatrists,"

The wheels he has worn since the husband  bought him over 20 yrs ago not sure the brand.

The wheels look like classic 15" rims from your photo.  My wagon is still on 14" rims but I've bought the 15" upgrades.

He had  those radial tires after he retired from the track. Unfortunately  I had a blow out a few weeks ago when I was driving.

Oops!  That was one of the reasons for my asking.  The conventional wisdom is that tires cannot last more than about 7 years no matter how they are stored and used.  I'm glad the blowout didn't do any harm to Dusty - or you!   I'm closing in on that 7 year limit with the tires on my trusty wagon.  Alas, I really would like to resolve a few other things so I can determine the best size of tires.  Biquette needs larger tires, but there are unexpected limitations.  For example, I need to find a spare that will fit into the tire well of my wagon.  I don't have a nice big trunk to store a larger tire.

The husband changed  all the tires to Cooper 225/70/14.  Thanks for asking.

Thanks, I was curious to know which tire size as part of my search for my wagon.  Are those tires black wall, white wall, or raise white lettering?

Enjoy Dusty but do be careful!  Dusty is over 50 years old!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 12:36:35 PM »

The wheels he has worn since the husband  bought him over 20 yrs ago not sure the brand.

The wheels look like classic 15" rims from your photo.  My wagon is still on 14" rims but I've bought the 15" upgrades.

He had  those radial tires after he retired from the track. Unfortunately  I had a blow out a few weeks ago when I was driving.

Oops!  That was one of the reasons for my asking.  The conventional wisdom is that tires cannot last more than about 7 years no matter how they are stored and used.  I'm glad the blowout didn't do any harm to Dusty - or you!   I'm closing in on that 7 year limit with the tires on my trusty wagon.  Alas, I really would like to resolve a few other things so I can determine the best size of tires.  Biquette needs larger tires, but there are unexpected limitations.  For example, I need to find a spare that will fit into the tire well of my wagon.  I don't have a nice big trunk to store a larger tire.

The husband changed  all the tires to Cooper 225/70/14.  Thanks for asking.

Thanks, I was curious to know which tire size as part of my search for my wagon.  Are those tires black wall, white wall, or raise white lettering?

Enjoy Dusty but do be careful!  Dusty is over 50 years old!

My husband was thinking of changing  wheel to 15 as well , I asked  some of the guys here and  they educated  me on bolt measurement, after a while he stayed at 14.  All this is very scientific .   [emoji28]  the new tires are all black. On the want list after  paint job is red rim tires.[emoji14]

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Any pictures of current Dusty? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 09:59:10 PM »

My husband was thinking of changing  wheel to 15 as well , I asked  some of the guys here and  they educated  me on bolt measurement, after a while he stayed at 14.  All this is very scientific .     the new tires are all black. On the want list after  paint job is red rim tires.

Okay, that's interesting!  The rims looked "beefier" than 14" but obviously I'm wrong.  There is nothing wrong with all black tires.  That's what our wagon came with back in 1968:

That's me at age 7 in front of the grill!  Since then, my Father and I have been more partial to whitewalls.  However, you can get redwall tires from Diamond-Back tires:

http://www.dbtires.com/

These are the folks I hope to order Biquette's next set of "shoes" when I can finally settle on a size!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S.  Have you taken any more recent pictures of Dusty?  I am curious how he looks with his current tires and what the engine bay looks like.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »

My husband was thinking of changing  wheel to 15 as well , I asked  some of the guys here and  they educated  me on bolt measurement, after a while he stayed at 14.  All this is very scientific .     the new tires are all black. On the want list after  paint job is red rim tires.

Okay, that's interesting!  The rims looked "beefier" than 14" but obviously I'm wrong.  There is nothing wrong with all black tires.  That's what our wagon came with back in 1968:

That's me at age 7 in front of the grill!  Since then, my Father and I have been more partial to whitewalls.  However, you can get redwall tires from Diamond-Back tires:

http://www.dbtires.com/

These are the folks I hope to order Biquette's next set of "shoes" when I can finally settle on a size!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S.  Have you taken any more recent pictures of Dusty?  I am curious how he looks with his current tires and what the engine bay looks like.

No new pics since sunday. Tomorrow Dusty is taking a long over due bath. He is not all shiny under the hood, but before I take a good pic he needs to get cleaned up. Nothing chrome, we are a bit anti chrome.[emoji28] 

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Pictures of status - not pretty. (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »

No new pics since sunday. Tomorrow Dusty is taking a long over due bath. He is not all shiny under the hood, but before I take a good pic he needs to get cleaned up. Nothing chrome, we are a bit anti chrome.

Don't be concerned about "keeping up with the restorations."  There are cars in every condition around here and photographs aren't about showing off so much as allowing us to understand the condition of each other's cars and learn from one another.  I was very good about taking photographs about the various stages of putting my trusty wagon back together so when someone else has a problem, sometimes I can provide them with a picture of how to assemble or disassemble a component.

I was curious to see how Dusty's engine bay looked like since Dusty's engine had been removed and put back.  The forums collective "eyes" might spot something that you would find interesting and even perhaps spot a problem before it gets serious. 

When I was a kid, the men of the neighborhood would always get together whenever someone had a car with the hood up.  These days we have to do this via the Internet, but the camaraderie remains the same!

P.S. My trusty wagon is also in need of a "bubble bath."  She was last washed and waxed on Labor day.  I just don't know when I can find the time!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »

No new pics since sunday. Tomorrow Dusty is taking a long over due bath. He is not all shiny under the hood, but before I take a good pic he needs to get cleaned up. Nothing chrome, we are a bit anti chrome.

Don't be concerned about "keeping up with the restorations."  There are cars in every condition around here and photographs aren't about showing off so much as allowing us to understand the condition of each other's cars and learn from one another.  I was very good about taking photographs about the various stages of putting my trusty wagon back together so when someone else has a problem, sometimes I can provide them with a picture of how to assemble or disassemble a component.

I was curious to see how Dusty's engine bay looked like since Dusty's engine had been removed and put back.  The forums collective "eyes" might spot something that you would find interesting and even perhaps spot a problem before it gets serious. 

When I was a kid, the men of the neighborhood would always get together whenever someone had a car with the hood up.  These days we have to do this via the Internet, but the camaraderie remains the same!

P.S. My trusty wagon is also in need of a "bubble bath."  She was last washed and waxed on Labor day.  I just don't know when I can find the time!

Here is Dusty in his room. He will take a bath tomorrow   

kicking Dust.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
Hi guys , quick question. What is the best way for me to clean the dust under the hood  Is 16 yrs  old. I'm that person who tends to break things by just looking at it.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »
Since no one chimed in here, I'll throw in my .02 worth.

You most likely will need to use an engine greaser, I'd start with that. Follow that by spraying off the areas with a hose. Careful to not get water into the carburetor. Then proceed with some soapy warm water on those same areas and rinse.
A bit of scrubbing may be in store.
If you have an air compressor, it would help too.

Have fun,
  Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Power steering pump? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
Dear Barb, Loren, and mid-60s Buick multi-taskers,

I need to get back your engine bay cleaning question, but there is something in this picture I thought I should mention first.

Here is Dusty in his room. He will take a bath tomorrow

Dusty's power steering pump isn't from 1965 but a later year.  Here is what the 1965 pump looks like:

It is the cylindrical black object to the left with the required belt.  So if you want Dusty to be original, you might want to swap that for a 1965.  Also, the pump that's there look to be mounted in an awkward way.  I don't recall that pump being used on a 1965, but I could have forgotten.

Hey, the rest of you guys, does the current pump look okay?

Anyway, the one observation I did make.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 06:09:52 PM »
Thanks, I will take it so slow, inch by inch.  I will have Dusty, dust free.  I will not go near the carburetor.  But I will clean the air   filter hood. By removing it.  Thanks. You have given me so much great information.

kicking Dust.