Author Topic: Dusty  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Dusty
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
Hi every one this is Dusty. He is a fine gentleman. My husband has own him for over 20 yrs.  16 yrs ago he put Dusty in the garage and had not moved since. This spring I was cleaning the garage adding more boxes on top of Dusty. Then he spoke to me and asked me to take him for a spin. I try to start him and he did not.  That night I asked my husband if I could get Dusty running again. He said what is the point. I told him I would pay any repairs and needs. Knowing I would not back out he said ok. Next morning a tow truck arrived and Dusty jump up. It took a week to replace carburetor,  alternator, and minor things. I drove him home and I was in love. Now is some cosmetic things and bringing him up to street code. My husband helps me now since I have no mechanical skills other then the manual. So if I ask a lot of silly questions is because my lack of knowledge.  I am very wiling to take advise from anyone.  I appriciate all of your comments and your knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dusty
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum Barb. Glad you got Dusty out and about. Looks like a nice car. No such thing as a silly question BTW.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
Barb

Looks just like the Skylark I had when I was in High School 43 years ago, Brings back a lot of memories!!

Welcome,
 JimL
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Barb. Glad you got Dusty out and about. Looks like a nice car. No such thing as a silly question BTW.

Dan

X2 !

Also, you might find some other '65 Skylark folks close by, willing to lend a hand .

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
Barb ,
 Welcome to the 65GS site .
Nice looking car .   Yeah theres no such thing as a dumb question , if there was and they didn't like them they would have given me the boot a week after I started .     ( Loren still threatens to kick me out but he Tolerates me )   LOL just kidding !
I personally have never met a nicer group of people .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
I feel so welcome,  little by little we will get Dusty back to his prime. We put back sit belts yesterday. It hurt me to drill holds  on the floor but he needed them. We are in Texas and they are required.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »
Barb,

A hearty welcome to you and Dusty to our family of Buick enthusiasts!  Glad to have you with us and look forward to answering as many of those "silly questions" as we can.  We're always happy to see these classics rescued and driven!

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dusty, meet Biquette! (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »
Dear Barb, Dan, JimL, Loren, John, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hi every one this is Dusty. He is a fine gentleman. My husband has own him for over 20 yrs.  16 yrs ago he put Dusty in the garage and had not moved since. This spring I was cleaning the garage adding more boxes on top of Dusty. Then he spoke to me and asked me to take him for a spin. I try to start him and he did not.  That night I asked my husband if I could get Dusty running again. He said what is the point. I told him I would pay any repairs and needs. Knowing I would not back out he said ok. Next morning a tow truck arrived and Dusty jump up. It took a week to replace carburetor,  alternator, and minor things. I drove him home and I was in love.

Golly such a nice story!  :love4:

Okay Dusty, meet Biquette:

Biquette is our family heirloom 1965 Buick Special wagon.  She has been in the family since we bought her secondhand 1968 and was my only car until 2010 when she really needed a mechanical restoration.  If you are curious, you can read more about her on this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=1860.0

Now is some cosmetic things and bringing him up to street code. My husband helps me now since I have no mechanical skills other then the manual. So if I ask a lot of silly questions is because my lack of knowledge.  I am very wiling to take advise from anyone.  I appriciate all of your comments and your knowledge.

So do you have the service manual like this manual that you'll find online in the 65GS.com "electronic garage?"

http://www.65gs.com/65%20Chassis%20Service%20Manual/1965%20BUICK%20SPECIAL%20CHASSIS%20SERVICE%20MANUALindex.html

That will definitely be of great help!  If you haven't taken a look, there is a wealth of information to be found in the electronic garage:

http://www.65gs.com/manuals.html

One pleasant thing that you might want to do for Dusty is to decode the builders plate:

http://www.65gs.com/vin.html

That will allow you to find out which factory built Dusty and which week in 1965 Dusty was built (the closest you can get to a birthday.)

As everyone else has said, ask away.  There aren't any stupid questions but there are some embarrassing ones like: "what this part called?"

As you probably have already figured out, when in doubt, take a picture and ask!

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
Yes I have that manual. Oh now I'm excited to find when Dusty was born. I will share it the soonest I decode it.

Online GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
Welcome Barb. Great car!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
Very nice indeed. Is Dusty sporting dual exhaust? Texas may explain why Dusty looks so good.
Question away, the harder the better. Enjoy driving Dusty, and by the way my car talks to me also.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
I was glad to listen,  yes he has a dual exhaust. He has retired from the 1/4 mile, back in his days he had a 455, now he is back to original.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »
Dear Barb, Dan, JimL, Loren, John, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hi every one this is Dusty. He is a fine gentleman. My husband has own him for over 20 yrs.  16 yrs ago he put Dusty in the garage and had not moved since. This spring I was cleaning the garage adding more boxes on top of Dusty. Then he spoke to me and asked me to take him for a spin. I try to start him and he did not.  That night I asked my husband if I could get Dusty running again. He said what is the point. I told him I would pay any repairs and needs. Knowing I would not back out he said ok. Next morning a tow truck arrived and Dusty jump up. It took a week to replace carburetor,  alternator, and minor things. I drove him home and I was in love.

Golly such a nice story!  :love4:

Okay Dusty, meet Biquette:

Biquette is our family heirloom 1965 Buick Special wagon.  She has been in the family since we bought her secondhand 1968 and was my only car until 2010 when she really needed a mechanical restoration.  If you are curious, you can read more about her on this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=1860.0

Now is some cosmetic things and bringing him up to street code. My husband helps me now since I have no mechanical skills other then the manual. So if I ask a lot of silly questions is because my lack of knowledge.  I am very wiling to take advise from anyone.  I appriciate all of your comments and your knowledge.

So do you have the service manual like this manual that you'll find online in the 65GS.com "electronic garage?"

http://www.65gs.com/65%20Chassis%20Service%20Manual/1965%20BUICK%20SPECIAL%20CHASSIS%20SERVICE%20MANUALindex.html

That will definitely be of great help!  If you haven't taken a look, there is a wealth of information to be found in the electronic garage:

http://www.65gs.com/manuals.html

One pleasant thing that you might want to do for Dusty is to decode the builders plate:

http://www.65gs.com/vin.html

That will allow you to find out which factory built Dusty and which week in 1965 Dusty was built (the closest you can get to a birthday.)

As everyone else has said, ask away.  There aren't any stupid questions but there are some embarrassing ones like: "what this part called?"

As you probably have already figured out, when in doubt, take a picture and ask!

Once more welcome!

OMG I found out Dusty was born same week as the husband

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Can you tell us more about specs? (Re: Dusty )
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »
Dear Kevin, Barb, and mid-60s Buick caregiver,

I was glad to listen,  yes he has a dual exhaust. He has retired from the 1/4 mile, back in his days he had a 455, now he is back to original.

Okay, so what's original?  I'm assuming a standard 1965 Skylark drive train with the 300 cid V-8 and the ST-300 transmission - correct?  Do you know if it is the original engine and transmission or another pair?  When Dusty went to the shop, did your husband put back an original Carter AFB or is it a reproduction carburetor?

From the VIN plate I see that Dusty was built in Kansas City and I suppose the original color is Sierra Mist.  Dusty had tinted glass, factory air conditioning, the driver side remote control side view mirror, and the deluxe retractable seat belts.  Does it seem like Dusty has kept all those things even having been used on the drag strip?  Were the luxury items like the air conditioning put back in working order?

OMG I found out Dusty was born same week as the husband

. . . Hmm, I dunno' about that one.  . . . Having the car built the same week as "the husband" certainly wasn't a factory installed option.  Perhaps it is true, but if so, it must have been installed by the dealer!! . . . .

Seriously, enjoy your new "friend!" . . . . .  :love4:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
All great questions,  Dusty has kept all his original parts. The husband said he thinks his engine is original but one number is missing. On the valve covers and engine the husband had them painted red cause he did not like the original green. LOL .Unfortunately I did not know about original carburetor at the time I replace it so it has an Elderbrook. When is time to replace I will get him the Carter.  We repaired the AC selector wire 2 weeks ago and we got cold air. The white cloth they describe is the headliner,  question on that. Did it have in the outside? Like a rood top? I could not imagine why they would bother stamping the cloth color. But Dusty has it, a bit discolored.