Author Topic: Paint on tail light housings  (Read 1469 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Paint on tail light housings
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »
I've just had my tail light housings rechromed and need to add the black paint that goes on the base of the groove around the lenses.  I'm sure to get paint to adhere to chrome I need to rough the chrome.  But it looks almost impossible to rough the bottom of the groove without damaging the chrome around it.  Any tips on how to do this?  I assume some of you have done this before.

Thanks!

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:59:29 PM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Acid? (Re: Paint on tail light housings)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick DFY achievers of the impossible.

I've just had my tail light housings rechromed and need to add the black paint that goes on base the groove around the lenses.  I'm sure to get paint to adhere to chrome I need to rough the chrome.  But it looks almost impossible to rough the bottom of the groove without damaging the chrome around it.  Any tips on how to do this?  I assume some of you have done this before.

I most definitely haven't done this, but am facing another problem getting something to glue to a freshly chromed surface.  Apparently one possible strategy is to use Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid.  I took freshman college chemistry classes enough to be plenty scared of this sort of stuff, but if you can get the acid to pool in the location of interest in might work.

I'll be the first to admit, not my first choice!

Whenever possible, Chicken Edouard . . . .

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Paint on tail light housings
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »
I don't think you need to overdo the prep, just make sure it's clean and maybe use a light coat of an etching primer.

I've painted chrome interior parts.... wax and grease remover, scrub with fine steel wool, degrease again, then prime and paint.

For headlight surrounds and grilles I may sandblast first for better adhesion since those parts may take a beating from road debris and bugs.

I'll guess the factory didn't do any prep work.... just black paint over the bare chrome.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
black paint that goes on the base of the groove around the lenses.

Rustoleum "BBQ Black" is the correct paint
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Who would have thought! (Re: Paint on tail light housings)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:13:01 AM »
Dear Chuck, Walt, Dan, and mid-60s Buick paint experts,

Rustoleum "BBQ Black" is the correct paint

. . . . Really!?! ..  Who would have thought that Buick would have been using Rustoleum "BBQ Black" on their cars all the way back in 1965!! . . . .  :overthetop:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
I don't think you need to overdo the prep, just make sure it's clean and maybe use a light coat of an etching primer.

I've painted chrome interior parts.... wax and grease remover, scrub with fine steel wool, degrease again, then prime and paint.

For headlight surrounds and grilles I may sandblast first for better adhesion since those parts may take a beating from road debris and bugs.

I'll guess the factory didn't do any prep work.... just black paint over the bare chrome.

I think we should use "epoxy" or "etch" in a very sparing manner before painting the black. The housings that I am using and the ones I sold Kevin are contaminated in the groove with small pits. I plan on using an epoxy primer after thorough cleaning with acetone with just one light coat. If you do not have pits(you are very fortunate) and you would want to coat the epoxy primer with the black within 24 hrs or it is recommended that the topcoat be sanded before paint. The good news for Chuck and the rest of us is that you still are not done. There is supposed to be silver around the inner edge by the lens and hopefully someone can post a good pic of how the finished product is supposed to look. I have been putting this job off awhile because I paid to have two sets chromed and I was not happy with either set.

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »
Talked to my painter friend. He said to tape off the area, use rubbing alcohol to clean the area, use an adhesion promoter, he uses a product called "Bulldog". I would think that  Eastwood paint prep would work. Then what ever paint you want to use. Being a body man he would use a single stage urethane. hope that helps.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Thanks a bunch Glenn.  Now the challenge will be to find Rustoleum BBQ Black in single stage urethane!  :-)

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Ultimate challenge! (Re: Paint on tail light housings)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Dear Glenn, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick fans of challenges, . . . .

Thanks a bunch Glenn.  Now the challenge will be to find Rustoleum BBQ Black in single stage urethane!  :-)

. . . . And once you've found your Rustoleum BBQ Black in single stage urethane, you can step up to the ultimate challenge!  Finding a barbecue that could actually be painted in single stage urethane . . . .  :BangHead:

These days , . . . . . anything is possible! . . . .

Edouard . . . . .

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Chuck, I don't think i would worry about the single stage paint. After prepping the area I would use the BBQ black that was suggested.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »
Hi Everyone, when I paint over chrome I tape the area off then clean the area with a degreaser then scuff the area with some fine steel wool, clean the area again then prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer( the red stuff ) its like glue, it sticks to everything !!! let dry 24hrs then topcoat it with BBQ black or flat black..  For other applications you can even wet sand the rusty metal primer as long as you let it cure for 5 days in a warm area... I use this method if I have a part that has been rusty and after being blasted it shows small rust pits or sanding scratches, two or three  coats of rusty metal primer then let it cure for 5 days, then wet sand 400 or 800 grit and paint with any color you need.. it works for me.    Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317