Author Topic: Torsional clutch return spring installation  (Read 723 times)

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
Torsional clutch return spring installation
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
I would like to know the detailed procedure for installing the torsional clutch return spring? I have no real clue as the what has to be done. I added an external spring and it works fine but interested in fixing it with the torsional spring.
65 Buick Skylark GS 4 speed, HT flame red w black top, original owner

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Torsional clutch return spring installation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
Hi Arthur,

Go to the home page (65gs.com) and click on "Electronic Garage".  Click on the first manual "1965 GS Service Manual".  Then read pages 53-56 by clicking on those page numbers on the left side of the screen.  There is a diagram of the clutch linkage, including the connection to the Clutch Release Shaft (that actuates the clutch in the flywheel) on page 54.  The spring on the shaft is shown in Figure 4-2 on page 55.  Instructions for installing the clutch, including the release shaft and spring are on page 56.  There are pictures of the spring installed in the thread on the return spring: http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3043.0

It's really very straightforward, but if you have other questions, just ask away.

By the way, when checking back to the thread on the return spring referenced above, please take a look at the question I asked about helping with a project to reproduce the return springs using yours as a sample.  We'd love to work on this if you are willing to help.

Cheers!

Chuck

Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Torsional clutch return spring installation
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 06:36:51 AM »
By the way, when checking back to the thread on the return spring referenced above, please take a look at the question I asked about helping with a project to reproduce the return springs using yours as a sample.  We'd love to work on this if you are willing to help.

Cheers!

Chuck

Chuck,
 Excellent !
Whether making a part, finding a source or service, it is through the combined efforts of our community that we are able to get another GS back on the road.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division