Author Topic: Rebuilding door hinges  (Read 1033 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Rebuilding door hinges
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
Have you guys rebuilt your own lower door hinges?  Or just bought new and replaced?  Replacing the pins and bushings looks straightforward, but I'm stumped on how to get the detent rollers and their shafts removed from the hinge in order to replace them.  Any tips, tricks, experience to offer?  Any brands better than others?  (CARS, The Parts Place, OPGI, YearOne, etc.)

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Chickened out and replaced. (Re: Rebuilding door hinges)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Have you guys rebuilt your own lower door hinges?  Or just bought new and replaced?  Replacing the pins and bushings looks straightforward, but I'm stumped on how to get the detent rollers and their shafts removed from the hinge in order to replace them.  Any tips, tricks, experience to offer?  Any brands better than others?  (CARS, The Parts Place, OPGI, YearOne, etc.)

. . . Back at the dawn of history . . . . .  :laughing7:

Well given what my wagon has gone through it sure feels like it!  :angryfire:

Back in the autumn of 2010 I replaced the lower driver's door hinge with an OPGI reproduction.  The stops had broken perhaps even before we bought the car in 1968.  I don't remember them ever working and I've always been afraid of the door closing unexpectedly and slamming on somebody's fingers (especially mine!  :BangHead: )

I had a "not so good" body shop do the work and I'm sorry for the experience, but the hinge has worked fine ever since.  The door seems to fit fine, no issues.

As I say that was a long time ago and I don't know if I would go that route again.  Nonetheless, that is one option that seems practical.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rebuilding door hinges
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:31:36 AM »
They have to be ground or cut off and the boss has to be drilled and tapped

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Rebuilding door hinges
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »
I just did these for mine. The kits are all pretty much the same. So, get the most reasonable price. Just make sure to get the ones that are for our cars. I found them cheapest on Ebay.  Also, the related spring compressor is handy and cheap for this repair.