Author Topic: Spark Plug wire brackets for cast aluminum valve covers  (Read 1650 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Spark Plug wire brackets for cast aluminum valve covers
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
I can't seem to find a picture or diagram in manuals or other places that show the locations and numbers of brackets/standoffs that bolt on top of the cast aluminum valve covers.  I know how mine were installed on my engine, but not sure if they were done correctly.  I see Russ Martin sells a set that includes just two brackets.  The one on the driver's side has me baffled.  Looks like it should have standoffs on both top and bottom.  In fact, three brackets with different heights came off my engine.  Can any one provide pictures of the correct installation of these gems, please?

Thanks,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Spark Plug wire brackets for cast aluminum valve covers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »
  In all my years i have only seen two brackets per 401. The taller one on the drivers side, the shorter one on the passenger side, both on the rear valve cover bolts.   Tony G
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »
My '66 425 (Riviera engine) had the same brackets as Russ sells.
Another (non-stock option) is to use 90 degree boots and route the wires somewhat out of site along the heads and around the back of the valve covers... they never go over the valve covers and IMO give a cleaner look.

Russ's brackets....
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
Interesting.  Are there rubber grommets and/or washers that seal the oil from leaking around the bolts?  All I have are the chromed bolts and the brackets.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
I have used rubber washers and a stainless steel washer on top then the bolt, never over tighten the bolt you will crack the seat on the valve cover. any good hardware store or marine supply will have the stainless washers.... Tony G
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
^^^^ I use those too. Rubber washers can be found in the plumbing dept.
The Fel-pro engine gasket sets include rubber washers.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  Looks like a trip to the local home improvement store is in my future!

I'd still love to see pictures of these brackets, how and where they are installed on the valve covers.  I'm pretty confident in the one bracket on the rear bolt on the passenger side.  But the one on the driver side I doubt is right.  Picture attached.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
Hey Chuck,  the drivers side bracket is where it should be and it looks correct. the drivers side bracket is taller than the other side, that is correct.. dont worry be happy you have an awsome Buick  :thumbsup: Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
Thanks Tony.  I see we share a couple of things in common.  A Verde Green Buick and a former Steve Shuman GS.  Awesome!

I'm still unsettled on these parts.  I'll have to play with them some more and try to get comfortable.  Time will tell. 

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
Hey Chuck,  the drivers side bracket is where it should be and it looks correct. the drivers side bracket is taller than the other side, that is correct.. dont worry be happy you have an awsome Buick  :thumbsup: Tony

I concur. Those look correct based on what I've seen over the years.

Jerry
Jerry

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »
 Hey Chuck, back in 2000 when we were invited by Sandy Shuman to pick up the Registry parerwork she took us over to see the GS collection there were 5 (i think) in the wharehouse. and at that point she stated that she was selling them all Except the one i wanted, the red convertible. It would have looked great next to my White convertible.... Then we went back to see her the summer of 2001 to purchase some Buick literature & other stuff, While in the wherehouse i went over to the Red thin pillar coupe looked it over. It needed so much work but i could not see someone parting it out.... I thought about it a long long time, and in the spring of 2003 i called Sandy we made a deal and in May 2003 I drove out with a car trailer and picked up the very rusty Buick.. 13 years later im still working on it, but it does not look like the rusted junk i brought home, But i sure would rather have had the convertible.!!!!!  Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
Tony, I guess what they say is true.....timing is everything.  Sandy probably told you that the red convertible was not for sale because Steve wanted his daughter to have it.  I bought it from her when she decided she didn't have an interest in keeping it. 

Glad we're keeping Steve's legacy alive.

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:55:22 PM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »
  Chuck, how is the condition of the red convertible ? My red GS needed everything! other than the inside of the motor everything has been replaced or rebuilt. now while the nose is off im upgrading the brakes to power disc for safety,close ratio steering box, timing chain & gears. rebuilt ps pump & new hoses & filter, rebuilt tranny. and the list goes on and on. Im at a turning point now where after i finish the brakes and some more welding I can start to put it all back together and get it to the  shop for some flame red paint... maybe 2017..... Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
Hi Tony,

Condition is good for an original 50 year old car.  Paint is original, although it's been touched up in a few areas, but several spots where crazing is obvious in the lacquer.  It's got a nice shine though.  Original interior, trim is nice, engine has 104K on the clock but runs well.  Top is 10 years old and in good shape.  I updated the belts and hoses last year.  And it needs a new exhaust manifold (I've just purchased a replacement).  Transmission leaks, but all in all, very few needs.  When restoration of the other 65 convertible I'll do some more work on the red one.  Next year, for sure.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100