Author Topic: Front parking lights  (Read 424 times)

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
Front parking lights
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
I have owned my 65 GS just over a year now.

As we get later into the cruise night season here in New England I find myself returning home after dark. I have noticed that when my headlights are turned on that the amber parking lights are not on. they do work when the switch is in the parking light position.

Is this normal or do I have an electrical issue?
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Front parking lights
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
 No issue. Yes, The parking light only work in the first position on the headlight switch. 
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Front parking lights
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
Thanks Vinnie,

Its good to know that I don't have a problem, yearly vehicle inspection due before the end of the month!

JimL
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Normal for 1965 - can be updated. (Re: Front parking lights )
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
Dear Jim, Glenn, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

As we get later into the cruise night season here in New England I find myself returning home after dark. I have noticed that when my headlights are turned on that the amber parking lights are not on. they do work when the switch is in the parking light position.

No issue. Yes, The parking light only work in the first position on the headlight switch. 

That's correct.  in 1965 the parking lights only worked in "park."  This was changed I believe in 1968 so that if you lost a headlight at the least the parking lights would remain to help other drivers see you.  You can easily rewire your ignition switch to the 1968 behavior if you drive the car a lot and would prefer that additional bit of safety.

Cheers, Edouard