Author Topic: A few Buicks at the Orinda Classic Car show . . .  (Read 704 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
A few Buicks at the Orinda Classic Car show . . .
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick lovers of classic car shows,

Sorry I couldn’t attend this weekend’s gathering.  I think my wagon would have provided just the right spice!  However, I did my duty to promote 1965 Buicks by taking my trusty wagon to the Orinda Classic Car show.  It isn’t like a really had much of a choice.  Orinda Motors who has done a lot of work on my wagon and is the main sponsor of the show - really - wanted my wagon to be there.  They are doing a lot more classic car business and wanted to highlight their expertise in installing Electronic Fuel Injection in classics.

So since I was asked, I did my duty.  I created two posters explaining the installation of EFI in my wagon and why this is desirable.  You can see the posters taped to the hood in this photo:

I’ve attached the posters as PDF files for the curious.  You can see some other changes.  First, my wagon how has a personalized license plate.  Since we have owned the car, she has been called by the French slang word: Biquette.  It roughly translates to billy-goat.  We have only 7 characters for license plates so I cheated by dropping the ’u.’

The other thing I added for the show was the Eastwood hood LED lamp I bought a few weeks ago:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-professional-folding-led-light.html

As I hoped this was a real improvement in a dimly lit location like the service bay where my wagon was being displayed:

I'm not sure if it was the personalized license plate, the new light to illuminate the engine bay, or the additional posters, but all of sudden, the crowds were really taking a liking to my trusty wagon! 

Here is one photo showing my last minute addition to jazz up the tailgate area:

Buick didn't use as much chrome on the tail end of the wagons as they did on the sedans and coupes.  So I thought a tasteful hitch receiver cover might look very nice.  Since my wagon had the the nickname of the Divemobile during all the dive trips associated with my PhD, I thought a reminder of her service during my studies of scuba as a site of communal learning was appropriate.  So her is hitch receiver cover features a scuba diving flag.  I’m pleased with how it turned out.

There were over 190 cars at the show and I had very little time to enjoy the show myself.  However, I saw a few cars that perhaps have some general interest to car guys.  The first is a 1941 Pontiac Deluxe Custom Torpedo 8.  Clearly it must have been one of the last cars built before the switch to wartime production:

Here is an photo of that straight 8 engine:

There were only 2 other Buicks in the show and one was from the 1950s and the other from the 1970s.  A friend of mine has a 1956 Buick Super, but it was located in a very dark corner of the service bay.  Being a black car - it was basically impossible to photograph.

The other Buick was a 1970 GS:

It is a very nice and original car:

Regrettably it is 5 years too immature!

There were a few Firebirds.  Here is a 1969 model:

Next to it was this convertible:

I suppose we all daydream about what Buick might have done with a F-body platform car.

Perhaps I can finish up with a battle of Ford versus Chevy.  Here is a 1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero:

Next to it was this 1964 Chevy El Camino:

Hopefully that’s a pleasant taste of a show that had a whole lot of cars.  Just one problem, not nearly enough Buicks!

Still, I did my part!  Not only did my wagon hold up the Buick flag, but I wore my Buick Club of America embroidered shirt and my 65GS.com cap!

Cheers, Edouard   :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: A few Buicks at the Orinda Classic Car show . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
Looks like a nice show.
Don't remember ever seeing a Pontiac woody.  Very pretty wagon.

Thanks for the pictures,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Rare woody . . . (Re: A few Buicks at the Orinda Classic Car show . . . )
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
Dear Loren and mid-60s Buick fans of all kinds of automobiles

Don't remember ever seeing a Pontiac woody.  Very pretty wagon.

I'd never seen anything like it either.  It is an odd show.  There are lots of classic Ford Mustangs, to the point one year a stranger came by asking what was this Mustang rally all about . . .   It is a affluent region that is becoming darn right spoiled.  There were plenty of Porsches and other exotics.  Still there were plenty of honest American classics and plenty of cars from the 1930s and earlier.

I would have taken a few more photos of the Pontiac woody but it was utterly mobbed with people.  Since it is free, it is a popular show.  Alas by the afternoon it is increasingly a "babysitting" occasion.

Such is life in an increasingly odd California scene . . . .

Cheers, Edouard