Author Topic: Title work is done so it's time to go to work.  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Title work is done so it's time to go to work.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
Looks great. I'm a big POR15 fan.  As you say, it flows out so niceley and the finish is almost bulletproof. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:38 AM »
Nice work.  Almost ready to start reassembly of the chassis?

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »
I've gotten all of the front and rear control arms sandblasted and painted, new bushings and ball joints installed and will be starting assembly of the chassis in a few days. Still need to purchase a disc brake kit but I'll probably put the drum spindles on for now to make it a roller.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Belated thanks! (Re: Title work is done so it's time to go to work. )
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
Dear EZ Cool, Jim, Kevin, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick lovers of nice and shiny!

I painted the frame with POR-15 today. It always amazes me how well POR-15 brushes on and flows out and one quart will do an entire frame.

Sorry I never did get back to this post.  Thanks for sharing your experiences POR-15.  I have a starter kit, but I haven't found a suitable piece to give it a try on.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
I bought a disc brake conversion kit at the Decatur swap meet, got it installed along with new fuel and brake lines. Installed all new control arm bushings ball joints and steering components. Put all new seals and gaskets in the rear axle and installed it today. Now its time to get started on the body.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
Looking good ,
your gonna beat me , Dan and Kevin to the finish line at this rate .  Who knows you might even catch Chuck .
Keep up the good work .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
Dear EZ Cool, John and mid-60s Buick restorers,

I bought a disc brake conversion kit at the Decatur swap meet, got it installed along with new fuel and brake lines. Installed all new control arm bushings ball joints and steering components. Put all new seals and gaskets in the rear axle and installed it today. Now its time to get started on the body.

Definitely good progress - keep it up!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 06:09:01 AM »
I got the body blasted down to bare metal and a coat of primer on it. No collision damage at all just some dings here and there. Got some rust on the lower rear quarters and some swiss cheese on the floors. Borrowed a rotisserie from a buddy and now the metal work starts.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
Looks like it's pretty solid!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Great shape! (Re: Time to go to work. )
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
Dear EZ Cool, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I got the body blasted down to bare metal and a coat of primer on it. No collision damage at all just some dings here and there. Got some rust on the lower rear quarters and some swiss cheese on the floors. Borrowed a rotisserie from a buddy and now the metal work starts.

Indeed that's great shape for cars of this age!  I don't think there are many cars that haven't been a collision anymore.  There is so much more traffic and people depend on cars so much more these days.  You've got something of a "barn find."

Cheers, Edouard

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
EZ Cool ,     your moving right along there . Your car looks to be very close to the same shape mine is in .  Hows your trunk floor ?  They don,t reproduce much as far as body panels for these so I,ll be curious as to how you fix the quarter panels .
I started working on my trunk floor last week and hope to get it installed this week .
Good luck and keep up the good work . :thumbsup:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
EZ Cool ,     your moving right along there . Your car looks to be very close to the same shape mine is in .  Hows your trunk floor ?  They don,t reproduce much as far as body panels for these so I,ll be curious as to how you fix the quarter panels .
I started working on my trunk floor last week and hope to get it installed this week .

Trunk floor is swiss cheese. I have found some rear quarter patch panels. Not sure of the quality but it may be all thats available.  http://alfaparts.net/sky.htm

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
Michael,

The panels you have the link to are all that is out there. As has been mentioned in previous threads, they work, but are not totally correct. Primarily the lower curved area. It should have a slight belly to the bottom line.  The replacement panel is too straight.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »

Is it best to get the 7 piece trunk floor kit or just replace the whole trunk floor? What problems are associated with doing the whole floor?

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
EZ Cool ,
Theres pros and cons both ways . If you do a one piece the problem is getting it back in there . (1st option)  To get it in there you pretty much need to take the rear tail light panel out  . once you get into it you'll see in the back the trunk pan is kind of sandwiched between the tail light panel and the trunk pan drop downs and theres just no way to get it up in there without removing the rear panel .
 ( 2nd option ) Now I can't say for sure this will work because I,m right in the middle of doing mine , but the lower part of my right side wheel well needed repair and so did my right side trunk pan drop down panel . So i removed the drop down and cut about an 1 1/2 of the wheel well ( the rusty part ) off and made a new piece to weld in AFTER I put the trunk pan back in .  ( theres photos in my restoration thread ) I,m going to try and slide mine in from the side .
I,ll be putting mine up in there either friday or saturday , I,ll post how it went .
The 7 piece will be way easier to put in but your going have to do a lot of measuring to make sure it will bolt back onto the frame holes .
All this will also depend on who you get the trunk pan from also . I used the one piece from Tamraz and so far ( knock on wood )  it measures up great .
I know Rollaround used the 7 piece from Tamraz . maybe he has some tips .
I know theres a few other guys on here that have done them also .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects