Author Topic: Where did 50 years go?  (Read 537 times)

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
Where did 50 years go?
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
On September 8th, it will be 50 years ago that I passed my drivers test and my Dad let me take the "GS" out for a solo drive.  WOW, what memories, the first thing I did was remove the air cleaner so I could hear that AFB "Kicking in" when I mashed that pedal to the floor.  What a car to drive, manual steering, manual brakes and all that power.  I am real fortunate today that I have a GS of my own and can relive those memories every time I take it out for a drive.  The only things missing are my Dad and my youth.  Anyway, just wanted post and share some thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:50:54 PM by sjfd04 »
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Where did 50 years go?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, great story. I passed my drivers test in my 66 GS 3 speed, manual brakes and steering. Jacked up in the back and running Thrush mufflers. The instructor who rode along was not impressed, but I passed and that was the main thing.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Congrats on getting that far! (Re: Where did 50 years go?)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
Dear sjfd04, Jim, and mid-60s Buick strollers down memory lane, . . . .

On September 8th, it will be 50 years ago that I passed my drivers test and my Dad let me take the "GS" out for a solo drive. 

Thanks for sharing!  Congrats on the anniversary!  :icon_thumright:

It hasn't been that long for me and I don't think I passed my driver's test in my trusty wagon.  She was without an engine at the time.  However, once she got her engine back, I was the "test pilot" who drove her home from the shop. 

The only things missing are my Dad and my youth. 

Sniff, ditto.  I sure miss my Dad when two people are really needed to do something on my trusty wagon.  That's when you realize how alone you really are.

Edouard
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:30:36 PM by elagache »