Author Topic: New member from SoCal-'65 Custom Sport Wagon  (Read 2336 times)

Offline wheelspin

• Buick Fan
New member from SoCal-'65 Custom Sport Wagon
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
 :hello: from sunny, muggy, SoCal. Pleased new owner of a '65 Sea Foam Green Custom Sport Wagon  :hello2:. Two seats and powered by a '67 340 motor. I began my lengthy bike/car hobby in 1964 with racing my Triumph TR-6 work bike in the California desert on weekends. With three little boys and their mother to support I slowly completed my first "hot rod", a 1939 Ford Deluxe opera coupe (fold down rear seats) using a small portion of my quarterly commission checks. Following removal of the flathead and torque tube driveline I installed a 392 hemi, cast iron case Torqueflite, and a Ford 9" rear in it's place. Many, many, bikes and cars later I still enjoy developing a vision for the vehicle, working out the parts combo to achieve the performance goals, and enjoying the completed package.

I'm new to the Buick niche of the car hobby having spent the past 15 years of my retirement building three classic Pontiacs for my and our son's enjoyment. I look forward to getting up to speed on my new project with the generous help from this Forum's members  :wave:.

Les Iden

'65 Buick Custom Sport Wagon, 340, ST-300, 3:08
'66 Pontiac GTO Sport Coupe, 468, 700R4, 3:31 (son Mike's car 8-16)
'68 Pontiac GP, 455, T-400, 2:93 (sold)
'72 Pontiac TA tribute, T-400, 3:08 (son Russ's car 8-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis
'09 Pontiac Torrent GXP 2wd

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New member from SoCal-'65 Custom Sport Wagon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:12:48 AM »
Les

Congratulation on a very nice wagon and welcome to the group.

You will find  a lot of great people  and a vast amount of first hand mid 60's Buick A body knowledge here.

Thanks for the pictures. They help a lot.

It looks like you have power steering, power brakes, power seats, windshield washers, dual speed wipers, maybe driver adjustable mirror and of course add on gauges to keep track of things.

I'm sure the list goes on from there but you will have to fill us in.

Welcome aboard.

Milton (MDKD)
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
Welcome Les ! Glad you found our site.

A friend of mine that is into GTO's called to say that someone (turns out it was you) had received some grief on one of the Buick forums over the purchase of your beautiful wagon. He was laughing pretty hard at the stuff they were saying.

Looks like a great find. Sure that the site's long roof guru, you know who you are LOL, will chime in soon.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
Welcome aboard Les!  I'm sure that another California resident named Edouard will be over the moon!

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »
Yes, welcome! Great looking car!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Welcome from Rancho Santa Margarita!

Nice looking car! Nice color too! I'm torn between that color and the blue for my 65 Special Convertible.
-George

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »

Welcome Les,

Really nice looking wagon.
Maybe someday there will be one in my stable.

Loren

65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline wheelspin

• Buick Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome  :love4:.

Hi Milton,
This little wagon has had a lot of work performed by a couple of it's prior owners which in turn made it very attractive to me: new brakes, poly-graphite  suspension bushings , new GR-2 shocks, new rr sway bar, 20K on rebuilt ST-300, new carpet through out, nearly new w/shield, 15" rally wheels, and a '67 340 motor transplant. My plans include re-valving the overly boosted p/steering pump, quick turn steering box, Rally type steering wheel to replace my busted green deluxe unit, reuse the front seat cover over new springs & foam, Redi-Rad unit for the existing am radio, Bilstein shocks, and a Vintage Air Mark IV type /ac unit.

I'm looking for a Sanden type compressor mount and posted on a thread (longhorn?) re purchasing one.

Hey Chuck,
Edouard sent me here!

Hi Dan,
I built a few Pontiacs and when I sold the GP and gave the GTO and the TA to two of our sons I did catch a little grief on the old PY Forums  :nono:.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:23:25 PM by wheelspin »
Les Iden

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome!! (Re: SoCal-'65 Custom Sport Wagon)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »
Dear Les, Milton, Dan, Chuck, Jim, George, Loren, and the mid-60s Buick welcome wagon,

Welcome Les to 65GS.com!! 

Sorry I'm so late, I was busy tweaking the fuel injection my own trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon!  Never enough wagons around here!  :love4:

I'm looking for a Sanden type compressor mount and posted on a thread (longhorn?) re purchasing one.

Unfortunately, I don't think anybody makes a bracket for the 300 or 340 engine.  Longhorn now has one for the Buick 350, but I don't think that will fit at all.  That's why I suggested you look into the Pro6TEN compressor on your V-8 Buick thread.  Here is a link for the guys here:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/compressors-parts/21-2201sh/compressor-p-8390.html

There was a posting on the Team Chevelle forum suggesting that the Vintage Air system can be driven with the Pro6TEN compressor and that compressor would fit in a standard Buick A/C bracket for that engine.  I haven't had a chance to explore the matter further, but that might be easier than trying to have a custom bracket fabricated.  It is possible to fabricate a custom bracket, that's what is in my wagon since she got A/C before longhorn started making his.

I do have the part numbers and other info on the A/C installation in my wagon.  So if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Buicknut65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »
I owned that car for a couple years was my daily driver . Congrats

Offline bigrage

• Getting Started
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »
Welcome aboard :hello2:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:59:22 PM by bigrage »

Offline wheelspin

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 11:40:07 PM »
Been busy installing and modifying my new ride  :icon_biggrin:. I added a quick turn steering box, Global West upper A-arms, stock height sport springs in front, larger sway bars, Bilstein shocks, air bags in the rear for stance and carrying capacity, new BFGs, and Summit front disc brakes.

Making good progress on my hybrid a/c install  :glasses9:. Big shout-out to Forum member and friend Bill Moore who sourced some a/c pullies and compressor bits for the project. I am using a V/Air EZ Clip hose kit, Ebay sourced 340 A-6 style factory compressor mount, an Old Air under-dash evaporator unit, and a 4 Seasons A-6 style aluminum compressor obtained from Amazon for $230!   
Les Iden

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Looking good! (Re: New member from SoCal-'65 Custom Sport Wagon)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
Dear Les and mid-60s Buick longroof fans,

Been busy installing and modifying my new ride  :icon_biggrin:. I added a quick turn steering box, Global West upper A-arms, stock height sport springs in front, larger sway bars, Bilstein shocks, air bags in the rear for stance and carrying capacity, new BFGs, and Summit front disc brakes.

Sounds great!  You'll be very happy with how the car handles!

Making good progress on my hybrid a/c install  :glasses9:. Big shout-out to Forum member and friend Bill Moore who sourced some a/c pullies and compressor bits for the project. I am using a V/Air EZ Clip hose kit, Ebay sourced 340 A-6 style factory compressor mount, an Old Air under-dash evaporator unit, and a 4 Seasons A-6 style aluminum compressor obtained from Amazon for $230!

Thanks for sharing pictures of your engine bay!  It looks perfectly original and still clean and spiffy!

I looked up the Old Air Products 300 series under-dash unit:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/ford-1965-1966-pickup/old-air-products/ip-300/underdash-unit-inside-package-p-4473.html

It looks very nice while being period correct in a mid-60s cabin.  Please do post photos of how that part of the installation unfolds!  There are a lot of guys on this forum who wish to keep their cars as original as possible.  Still dealer installed air conditioning was a somewhat common occurrence at the time.  So this could be - "just what the doctor ordered" - for some of the guys on this forum.

Thanks for sharing!  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline wheelspin

• Buick Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
I just completed the under hood part of my hybrid a/c system in our Sport Wagon. I installed the receiver/drier behind the battery on the forward part of the wheeltub apron. The condenser was installed after modifying the hood latch/grill support for sufficient forward clearance. Our Buick's front bumper is pushed in slightly, pinning the grill and h/light bezels in tightly and preventing their removals. I opted to pull the radiator/fans and fitting the condenser from the rear thru the core support opening. Look closely at one of the pics and you can see there is a horizontal factory pass thru opening in the core support for a/c lines that exits them behind the battery. I opted to route the #6 & # 8 condenser lines between the passenger wheeltub & the fender for a cleaner look and improved access to that side of the engine. The excess hoses that you see coiled/stored around the a/cleaner will be passed thru the firewall and on to the evaporator in the next session.   
Les Iden

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Nice clean install, Les.  Great looking engine bay.  It just keeps getting better!  Keep us posted on this and other projects.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100