Author Topic: 65 coupe frame fit 66gs conv.  (Read 1016 times)

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
65 coupe frame fit 66gs conv.
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
well to start, I'm new to the site walt lead me to this informational site but I have a 66GSconv. the frame has some holes on the side rails just before it makes the bend to the rear trailing arms the frame is in really good shape other than that, the guy that will be doing the work suggest that I have a couple of 1/4 steel plates welded to the frame.  but I have an opportunity to pick up a 65 frame from a 65coupe walt pm me to say that the 65 frame was just a little bit difference is that frame going to work with my conv.                                                                                                                                                                                         thanks for all the help, greg
greg

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Re: 65 coupe frame fit 66gs conv.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Welcome to the club Greg!

First off, I see what Walt is up to.... he's been trying to covert us over to a 66 site for some time now and it's obvious he's now gone the route of inviting all of his 66 buddies over for a hostile takeover... we are onto you Walt!    ;D

In all seriousness, we welcome all car lovers here and many members are 64, 66 Special, Skylark and GS owners and most of us also have a love affair with the big Buick's also.  At the end of the day we are all car people and we all speak the same language.   8)

Now about your frame.  I assume you are looking at the frame from Wheelz that is sitting down in Tampa Florida?  If it's the same frame, it appears to be a really nice piece and the price on it is right.  I think that the differences Walt might be referring to are the extra reinforcement gussets on the rear cross member that appear to be unique to the GS convertible.  Other than that, from what I know  (others please feel free to jump in at any time) the frame is your typical boxed A body frame  that was also shared with the Chevy, Olds and Pontiac (Chevelle, 442 & GTO) cars of the same period.

My suggestion is to buy the frame (again... it's a very good deal) and pull the body off of your car.  Set the two rolling chassis side by side and go over them section by section and then decide what is worth fabricating on the new frame (if anything) and what is simply worth leaving as is because no one will see it or care and it's just an additional cost that is eventually hidden with the body anyhow.  It's your car and you need to live with what is acceptable for you from both a cost and originality perspective.

I can tell you that I'd personally either try to carry over the additional cross member bracing from the old frame or have a certified person fabricate and well new ones in.  I tried to find some pictures of the actual braces and couldn't find them, but what you'll be looking for on the underside in a triangle shaped gusset in the corners of the rear crossmember that stiffer up the rear sections (these can be seen from underneath).

My person take on the matter if I was in this position would be to trust that the engineers knew what they were doing all those years ago, and put them back in there, but again make sure it's done correctly by someone who won't accidentally weaken the frame instead of making it stronger.   ;D

I think you are on the right track and having Walt help you is awesome (even though he bleeds 66).   :D

I hope you continue to hang out with us and please keep the postings coming! 

Chris

P.S. - If you get a chance, please post a little something in the Bio section telling us a little more about yourself, where you're from etc.  This is a great way for new and old members to get to know one another better and chances are, there are probably members within driving distance from you that might be able to help you someday in person.

-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 coupe frame fit 66gs conv.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »
Greg, a 67 frame just became avail on V8Buick. This one is in Kansas:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=187473

The 67 frame would have different rear spring mounts. and provisions to have the transmission crossmember located further back for the ST400 trans.

A 1965 frame would have a slightly different 'nose' on the front crossmember. It's only cosmetic. Early 1966 also had this feature.
66 Frame is in primer, 65 frame on right.
here's a pic:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal