Author Topic: What are you guys doing for tire jacks?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
What are you guys doing for tire jacks?
« on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Well, it was a terrific struggle!  But I successfully emptied my trusty wagon's spare tire well!

Yes, this has important implications for selecting new tires . . . . stay tuned!

However, I could not avoid another problem.  As related in an earlier episode of this soap opera, my trusty wagon lost her mechanical hitch in 1986 when she was stolen.  She was being used by some drug addicts and I suppose they sold *everything* they could - including the jack. At the time, my Father asked the guys fixing up the car to find us another jack and . . . . well, it really doesn't fit the bumper very well.  I would be frightened to try to use it.

So what do you guys do with respect to the tire jack?  I now have Hagerty's roadside assistance.  So even if I got a flat I don't know if I would try to change the tire myself.  Do you guys try to maintain the truck area right down to a jack?  I suppose if you want to keep the originality you should.

I made a quick check and these parts seem to be rare.  They certainly aren't reproduced.  However, on eBay somebody claims to have a jack that would fit my trusty wagon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272285918452?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It looks like the correct jack to me, but the last time I saw it was when I was teenager!  Do any of you guys know if this is the correct jack for a 1965 Buick Special?  Should I grab it?  Is it a reasonable price?  Does any of you have a jack in decent condition that you would be willing to part with?

A curious longroof owner would like to know!!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: What are you guys doing for tire jacks?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
It is close, but the "shoe" that goes on it to grab the bumper is specific to the make/model of vehicle it is made for.  The wagon you have uses a different shape rear bumper than the other 65 Skylarks, so I am going to guess that the jack shoe for a 64-67 wagon is unique.  The pole, mechanism, and base in the link you listed are correct.  The lug wrench is not though.  Just to give you a hint though, a lug wrench from an 80s-90s F150 is the same as what came in the 64-65 Skylarks with the chrome road wheels (13/16" wrench) if you cut a few inches off the pry-bar end and re-grind the tapered point on it. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: What are you guys doing for tire jacks?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »
I'm looking in the parts book, 1940-74 edition.... jacks are in group 8.820

Unfortunately, there aren't separate listings for the shoe/hook. Lack of separate complete jack listings suggests wagons use the same as Special/Skylark?

For '65 30-4000 series (wagons are 3600 or 4600, so they're included):
complete jack:  1396635

Looks like there were two different bases depending on manufacturer. I sorta recall it was mentioned here there were two styles of jacks with differently shaped posts.
588367 base for Universal Tool and Stamping jack.
1372501 for Auto. Specialties jack.

I picked up some 1980's GM jacks to carry in my trunk. We had a discussion here:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?275464-Jack-to-carry-in-trunk-of-car&highlight=tire+jack

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Da' plot thickens (Re: What are you guys doing for tire jacks? )
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
Dear Brian, Walt, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who dread getting a flat tire.

Unfortunately, there aren't separate listings for the shoe/hook. Lack of separate complete jack listings suggests wagons use the same as Special/Skylark?

I suppose that book wouldn't shed any light on whether or not Cadillac would have also used the same jack?

I picked up some 1980's GM jacks to carry in my trunk. We had a discussion here:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?275464-Jack-to-carry-in-trunk-of-car&highlight=tire+jack

Actually, I like that style of jack much better and GM has been using something similar until at least 2000.  Our 2000 Buick Century also has a jack that is similar.

The 64 dollar question would be if I could get a jack like that which would be small enough to fit into the a wagon cargo area.  These jacks are relatively compact.

Okay, looks like I need to do some more search!

Thanks for the feedback guys!!  :icon_thumright:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I'm warming up to your idea of using later model jacks.  I took a look at the jack in our 2000 Buick Century and it is compact while being a much safer design.  Unfortunately, the Yuppies have chased all the junk yards hundreds of miles away from me, so getting one from there isn't so easy.  Any other suggestions on how I could get my hands on something like that? 

Thanks again!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Appears 1965 jacks same for wagon as other A-bodies (Re: Tire jacks?)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I put some time looking for a universal jack that could be shoehorned into my wagon's spare tire well and it won't be easy.  I don't have any spot with more length than about 12 inches.  That excludes most universal scissors I could locate.  There is room for a bottle jack, but these are too tall I believe to get under a wheel by themselves.  Unfortunately, it is also difficult to shop online for an old OEM jacks because people don't think to include dimensions which in this case are a critical concern.

I also have a copy of this parts book on CD.  Sure enough for 1968-89 there is a separate listing for wagon bumper jacks, but not for 1964-67.  I suppose GM indeed designed the bumpers and jack so that the same jack does work on wagons as well as the other Buick A-bodies.

So as is so common when it comes to my trusty wagon . . . . . da' plot thickens!! 

P.S. Since I have a digital catalog I can share with you guys the relevant snippet:

How do you guys read this?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:30:03 PM by elagache »