Author Topic: Filters, Hoses, Belts, and Gaskets  (Read 591 times)

Offline 1971

• Crazy about Buick!
Filters, Hoses, Belts, and Gaskets
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
Buick People,
     My wife has a 65 GS.  In the process of going through it.  I get lots of help from this Website and the Buick Folks on it.  Some of my Buick friends have been recommending different products then what I've been using for the last 45 years.  I'm talking about; Filters, Hoses, Belts, and Gaskets.  I've always used Fram Filters, Gates Hoses & Belts, and Felpro Gaskets.  In particular they recommend Wix products.  I'm going to Wix as I've found out they are USA made.  Would like to hear some of your opinions regarding the different manufacturers of; Filters, Hoses, Belts, and Gaskets, what do you guys use?  I always changed these various parts on my vehicles on a regimented time or mileage requirement.  Never really considered all the different companies making these products.  Thanks Richard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Filters, Hoses, Belts, and Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
I like the Wix oil and air filters but also have a K & N air filter on one of the Gran Sports, I do like it. I think Gates belts are still OK too. Hastings is a good name too if they are still around. Sounds like you're making progress Richard! Cometic and Fel Pro gaskets seem to be good, I know Cometic is made in the USA.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:06:30 PM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 1971

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »
Jim,
    Thanks for the tips, I did forget about K&N and Hastings.   Cometic is a new one for me and being they are USA made, I'll definitely be looking into that company.  Very slow going on the 65 but making progress.  The A/C hasn't run in years. The right side of the car is dismantled as we are gathering all the A/C parts. Richard

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
I have always used Fram oil filters in all my cars until I read this thread on V8Buick. 

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?219556-Fram-Oil-Filters-A-Must-Read!&highlight=fram+oil+filter

Don't know how scientific the test was, but the Wix/NAPA filter seems to be better constructed. Now I use Wix oil filter #51049 for the '65 GSs and Wix oil filters for our Jeep Grand Cherokees.

John

Offline 1971

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
John,
     Thanks for posting that thread.  I read all including the V8Buick folks opinions.  I'll be switching over to the Wix line.  thanks, Richard