Author Topic: What motor oil do you guys run in your classic Buick?  (Read 5020 times)

Offline 2x4 gransport

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: What motor oil do you guys run in your classic Buick?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
I use Brad Penn in mine cause It's green   :rocker:
Harle Cordill

1965  Skylark Gran Sport 2dr Post
425 lx motor out of a 65 Riviera Gran Sport
4speed

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Which green!! (Re: What motor in your classic Buick?)
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:57 PM »
Dear Harle and mid-60s Buick . . . . . automobile environment advocates . . . . .  :laughing7:

I use Brad Penn in mine cause It's green   :rocker:

. . . What do ya' mean green?  Either it has to be nailhead green or nuthin'!! . . . .  :overthetop:

Seriously, I needed to spend to some time today looking over what Brad Penn actually offers and I never made it.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll investigate and can perhaps ask some more meaningful questions!

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
12 quarts of Brad Penn 5W-30 for $17 !?!?!??? (Re: What motor oil)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who love bargains,

Okay, so I started to look into Brad Penn's product line and looked into availability and prices.  I get on the Amazon website and look up Brad Penn 5W-30 and at least on my computer it comes up as a box of 12 quarts for $16.62.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EADLBDI/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I just can't believe it.  The next lowest price on Amazon is $87.20 and Summit sells a box of 12 for 98.97.  Could somebody click on the link above and tell me what they see?

Signed very puzzled, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
Tough call, the description doesn't say what the quantity is.
However, in other listings:
Pn 009-7109 is one quart
pn 009-7109-12 is a case of 12

But the shipping weight of 19 pounds and dimensions of 13.2 x 10 x 9.4 inches sure makes it sound like it's a case.
Even the Q&A says it's a case of 12.... and that's 2 years old.

Sometimes Amazon sells items at blow out prices. Or maybe the dimensions and weight are a mistake.  :dontknow:

Might be worth the gamble. Worst case it's for 1 qt and you either keep it and pay too much for it, or return it for a refund and pay shipping.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:49:28 PM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
Looks like that package may be on "close-out" or something. Sounds like a case to me.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »
Just ordered some.  Thanks for the tip, Edouard!

A great weekend to all!

:occasion14:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Did ya' ship it second day air!? (Re: What motor oil?)
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
Dear Walt, Jim, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick "bargain hunters" . . . .

Well, I guess that answers the question of whether or not everyone else was seeing the same $17.

So did you have it shipped via second day air?

Well, I have Amazon prime (it's a long story) so I get second day air shipping for free.  So this "case" supposed to arrive on Sunday. . . . . .

I repeat . . . stay tuned!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:45 PM »
Just found out my friend runs the Bradd Penn oil in his Chevelle, $60 a case at Napa. I may have to try it too. Although it looks like it is the same company as Kendall and the same oil wells.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
The motor guru here says that Kendall was bought out by Texaco or someone and now uses the same oil as everyone else. Brad Penn uses the high paraffin oil found in Pennsylvania and other places in the east.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
Re: Did ya' ship it second day air!? (Re: What motor oil?)
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »
Dear Walt, Jim, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick "bargain hunters" . . . .

So did you have it shipped via second day air?

Well, I have Amazon prime (it's a long story) so I get second day air shipping for free.  So this "case" supposed to arrive on Sunday. . . . . .

I repeat . . . stay tuned!

I also have Amazon Prime, but this one is a bit strange.  Said it was in stock and available for Prime shipping, but when I ordered, it said arrival by July 15.  Now I have my shipping confirmation and it says it will be here on Friday, July 1.  Certainly not 2-day shipping that's advertised for Prime, but for the price, I'm not unhappy and don't really need it yet anyway.  I bought a case of the Brad Penn break-in oil from my engine machine shop so I'm actually good for awhile.  That was 10W-30 dino oil for $78 a case.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 08:34:40 AM »
The motor guru here says that Kendall was bought out by Texaco or someone and now uses the same oil as everyone else. Brad Penn uses the high paraffin oil found in Pennsylvania and other places in the east.

Dan

Looks like you're right, the company was bought and sold a few times. I'm sure the quality has dropped, seems to be a common theme whether you're talking oil, furniture, or whatever.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Jim, Dan, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick bargain hunters,

I also have Amazon Prime, but this one is a bit strange.  Said it was in stock and available for Prime shipping, but when I ordered, it said arrival by July 15.  Now I have my shipping confirmation and it says it will be here on Friday, July 1.  Certainly not 2-day shipping that's advertised for Prime, but for the price, I'm not unhappy and don't really need it yet anyway. 

I just checked and Amazon claims that my case is going to arrive tomorrow via the Post Office!!  Amazon is definitely muscling in to new shipping schemes.  They just launched their own 2-hour delivery service in the greater San Francisco bay area using a mix of their own delivery trucks and drop-shipping to your local post office.  It is amazing to see the Post Office delivering packages on Sunday when they won't deliver the mail on Sunday!

As soon as I have the case in hand I'll report on whether or not it truly is the real McCoy.

I bought a case of the Brad Penn break-in oil from my engine machine shop so I'm actually good for awhile.  That was 10W-30 dino oil for $78 a case.

I'm also in the same boat.  Mike Tomaszewski recommended that I go at least another 1000 miles on dino oil before switching to any sort of synthetic.  So this purely a case of bargain hunting.  We shall see!

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

Bargain hunting for sure.  I'll use up all the break-in oil before moving on to the semi-synthetic.  In theory, that will get all the gaskets properly expanded and seated before the synthetic hits them.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!

.....I just checked and Amazon claims that my case is going to arrive tomorrow via the Post Office!! 

Edouard, does any of the shipping info you received show that it's a 19 pound case and not just a quart?

I mulled over taking the chance it's a case and bought the last one last night! Due on Tuesday. :thumbsup:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
My tracking number isn't showing info yet on UPS.com.  But I checked on other sellers of Brad Penn oils and all reference the BP part number we ordered to a case of 12 quarts.  I really doubt that we will be disappointed!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100