Author Topic: Brake backing plates  (Read 2960 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Brake backing plates
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
What are the appropriate colors for the brake backing plates?  I thought they would all be natural metal color, but I'm seeing pictures with some painted black, at least on the outside.  Interested in both outside and inside surfaces.

Thanks!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Brake backing plates
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:45:29 PM »
Varies.
Ones on my '66 were bare, unplated steel under the grease.
I think Mark's were cad plated, don't recall if it was silver cad or gold.

Most cars on the assembly lines got a quick spray of black paint on the front and rear suspension to cover the surface rust to make them look decent until the new owners drove them off of the new car lots! The paint wasn't expected to last very long in normal wet driving conditions.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
On my 66 I did the rears in semi gloss black, both sides, On the front I bead blasted and painted the backs with steel paint, that someone else used on here or V8. I could have just clear coated them after blasting, and they may have been slightly better steel color. I have not found a good steel match paint, to match bead blasting steel.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
The 'stainless steel' aerosol from Seymour paints is a decent match for bare steel.
I often see it offered at swap meets.
http://www.seymourpaint.com/product/stainless-steel/

Someone here was going to try the stainless paint from Rustoleum.

I powdercoated some backing plates with 'almost chrome'. It has a semi-polished aluminum look to it. I was thinking it would oxidize to a more correct look.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
It was me that ordered the Rustoleum Steel Tech paint.  I am using it in all the applications that I want to look like bare steel.  I haven't compared it to others like the Seymour product, but it looks pretty much like steel to me.  I think I'm going to paint my rear backing plates with it.  I'm putting a disc brake conversion kit on the front and will use the new backing plates that come with the kit there.  If they are bare metal, I'll paint them with the Steel Tech also.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Photos of Rustoleum Steel Tech in action? (Re: Brake backing plates)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
Dear Chuck, Bill, Walt, and mid-60s Buick painters,

It was me that ordered the Rustoleum Steel Tech paint.  I am using it in all the applications that I want to look like bare steel.  I haven't compared it to others like the Seymour product, but it looks pretty much like steel to me. 

. . . .

Any chance you could point a camera at an example and perhaps place next to it some bit of clean bare metal for comparison?

Curious minds want to know!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
The steel paint I used was Rust-oleum but 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel. It is just OK, not a perfect match to bead blasted steel. This was from V8 Buick post on chassis, but reference was on 68/72, thanks Bill.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
Re: Photos of Rustoleum Steel Tech in action? (Re: Brake backing plates)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
Dear Chuck, Bill, Walt, and mid-60s Buick painters,

It was me that ordered the Rustoleum Steel Tech paint.  I am using it in all the applications that I want to look like bare steel.  I haven't compared it to others like the Seymour product, but it looks pretty much like steel to me. 

. . . .

Any chance you could point a camera at an example and perhaps place next to it some bit of clean bare metal for comparison?

Curious minds want to know!

Here you go.  Pictures of a freshly blasted brake backing plate with a bit of a rough finish, so maybe not the best example.  All the other parts in the pictures are painted with the Rustoleum Steel-Tech.  The pictures were taken with no flash using the overhead fluorescent lights in the shop for illumination. 

I've found the Steel-Tech seems to have a bit of transparency that can telegraph underlying colors to some extent.  So when using it, I prime with grey primer, then paint with Steel-Tech.  It might be my imagination, but when I prime with green self-etching primer, the final product seems to have a very slight green cast to it. 

I bought it on Amazon in a six can case that I shared with my painter.  I'm sure it's available in single cans as well; I haven't looked in the local stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-268863-Steel-Tech-20-Ounce-Stainless/dp/B00MXWTTOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457110828&sr=8-1&keywords=rustoleum+steel-tech

What do you think?

Cheers!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
VERY interesting! (Re: Photos of Rustoleum Steel Tech in action?)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick painters,

Here you go.  Pictures of a freshly blasted brake backing plate with a bit of a rough finish, so maybe not the best example.  All the other parts in the pictures are painted with the Rustoleum Steel-Tech.  The pictures were taken with no flash using the overhead fluorescent lights in the shop for illumination. 

Hmm, . . . . very interesting!

I'll see if my local home improvement store has this stuff.  It definitely looks like the sort of things I should have in my arsenal!  :laughing7:

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
Chuck, those look good. In regards to the backing plates, I don't know what plant was doing what. My car had plated fronts (probably cad) and black painted rears,
but discussing this with Loren many years ago there seemed to be no pattern of what might be standard practice.
Pic is what they looked like removed and cleaned up in a solvent tank.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:24:02 AM by Mark Ascher »
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Mark.  I think I'm going to paint the rears metal color.  The fronts will be whatever color the backing plates are that come with the disc conversion kit.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
Chuck ,   do you have your disc brake conversion yet ? and where are /did you get it from ?
Mine already has disc brakes but would like to figure out what it came off and where to order a proportioning valve .
Thats one of the updates someone did on my car that i,m going to leave on it .

Oh and by the way , whats your schedule for the next 3 weeks ?  I,m planning my little road trip soon . :icon_thumright:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:59:18 PM by 35chevcoupe »
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Looks nice Chuck.  :thumbsup:
The front disc kits usually have a silver zinc plating on the dust shields. A coat of the Steel tech would make them match the rears.

Eduoard, there are various versions of stainless paint avail from Rustoleum, ranging from basic enamels,  to epoxy and urethane.
If you want industrial duty, Graingers carries the tough stuff. HD/Lowes has the 'indoor/refrigerator' grade stuff that is probably just fine for your climate!
POR-15 has a similar product called 'Metal Mask'.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:05 AM »
Chuck ,   do you have your disc brake conversion yet ? and where are /did you get it from ?
Mine already has disc brakes but would like to figure out what it came off and where to order a proportioning valve .
Thats one of the updates someone did on my car that i,m going to leave on it .

Oh and by the way , whats your schedule for the next 3 weeks ?  I,m planning my little road trip soon . :icon_thumright:

Hi John,

I will be picking up my disc brake conversion kit on Wednesday.  I ordered the kit and the fuel and brake lines and am picking them up so that they don't get folded into a box for shipment.  All of this is from a dealer for Right Stuff.  I ran into him at a local Swap Meet and decided to buy from him.  Right Stuff sells both types of proportioning valve, as does Inline Tube.  And many others.  I bought my Russelll adjustable proportioning valve from either Autozone or Advanced.  So they are readily available.  I don't care for the look of the combo valve hanging on the master cylinder.

I'll email you so that we can discuss a visit.  Looking forward to it!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
"I don't care for the look of the combo valve hanging on the master cylinder."

I agree that looks after market and nasty? Will you be able to mount it on the frame where the stock distribution block was installed. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.