Author Topic: Any tricks to restore chrome of a hood ornament?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Any tricks to restore chrome of a hood ornament?
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I took notice of Loren's new Hood ornament re-coloring service.

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=2709.0

It took me a while, but I hunted down my used OEM hood ornament that I had intended to paint myself.  It is better shape than many, but it still is plenty weary.  I tried to take some photos but chrome is notoriously difficult to render.  Here is the front:

Here is the back:

One thing I tried on this ornament was "do-it-yourself" electroplating using this hobby kit from Micro-Mark:

http://www.micromark.com/plug-n-plate-copy-chrome-plating-kit,8327.html

Unfortunately, while I was able to make some spectacular restorations on some of the dashboard chrome, the hood ornament failed to plate very well.

Just before taking these photos I tried Flitz metal polish, it certainly helped with the shine a bit, but that's about it.

Do you guys have any ideas on how restore the chrome on these ornaments?  The repainting service that Loren has come up with kinda begs for a hood ornament in better shape than this.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Any tricks to restore chrome of a hood ornament?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
Can't help you with your questions, but I did locate mine which is in similar condition. Since these don't seem to be reproduced, nor are they getting easier to find, it will stay with me unless there's a stupid good offer to send it to a new home. BTW, this IS NOT an attempt to solicit offers.  :icon_biggrin:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Need to do better (Re: Any tricks to restore chrome of a hood ornament?)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
Dear Tom and mid-60 Buick caretakers of the automobile "crown jewels."

Can't help you with your questions, but I did locate mine which is in similar condition. Since these don't seem to be reproduced, nor are they getting easier to find, it will stay with me unless there's a stupid good offer to send it to a new home. BTW, this IS NOT an attempt to solicit offers.  :icon_biggrin:

Alas, your reply and the silence of everyone else - screams - that we need to find a way to either rejuvenate OEM hood ornaments or have new ones reproduced.

I really appreciate Loren's efforts to find something that makes these ornaments look better, but unless the chrome is decent, painting the Tri-Shield seems like throwing good money after bad.

Anybody else got an idea on how to restore the chrome on an OEM ornament?

Edouard 

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:11:38 PM »
Edouard,

How is the chrome around the exterior on yours? Difficult to tell from the angle. Mine is decent with no pitting, but around the inside it's not quite as shiny. Still might send it to Loren's contact for refurbishing.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Remove Tri-Shield? (Re: Any tricks to restore chrome of a hood ornament? )
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
Dear Tom and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

How is the chrome around the exterior on yours? Difficult to tell from the angle. Mine is decent with no pitting, but around the inside it's not quite as shiny. Still might send it to Loren's contact for refurbishing.

The exterior chrome is decent for a 50 year old piece, but it doesn't look as good as say the exterior door handles.  I sure wish there was a way to have these pieces rechromed somehow.  I've been told that the part with the 3 shields is a separate piece.  If it could be removed or somehow masked during the rechroming process, these things could be make to look new and then Loren's airbrush guy could really complete the restoration.  I'll try to look into this.  I have Poston reproduction on my wagon right now, but I've been told the color will fade very quickly, so I know I need to find a replacement.  I do have some time though.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:32:23 AM »
Reconditioning chrome....
I'm no expert but I'm thinking the options are:
- polish it
- strip it and rechrome it-
- can it get a replating of 'chrome only' without stripping it?
- there are other methods to apply plating such as 'plasma plating', which is how some plumbing fixtures are plated (saw it on 'This Old House'
- 'Vacuum metallizing' is done on plastic parts. It's actually a thin layer of aluminum that is vaporized and deposited. It's not thick enough for exterior use, but could be clear-coated. Looks like chrome.

Reproductions.... I saw an episode of 'How It's Made' on how class rings are made. Bet it would work for emblems too.
- a prototype is made from wax, then a plaster mold is made from it. Molten metal is poured into the plaster mold, then the mold is dissolved, leaving the cast parts. Rings are often made of  gold or stainless. I think gold would be out, but stainless, aluminum, or nickel could be polished or chrome plated if desired.

....No idea what it would cost, but sounds like a mold could be easily made from an original, and the major cost would be labor.

Anyone have any connections in the ring/jewelry industry?

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Need to ask an expert (Re: Restore chrome of a hood ornament?)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
Dear Walt and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Reconditioning chrome....
I'm no expert but I'm thinking the options are:
- polish it
- strip it and rechrome it-
- can it get a replating of 'chrome only' without stripping it?

Before I get to far afield, I thought it would be a good idea to get in touch with a company that restores auto emblems and so on.  The overall condition of this hood ornament is reasonably good.  There isn't any damage beyond the usual pitting caused by age.  All it really needs is a good cleaning and a fresh application of chrome.  Chrome is applied by electroplating.  So it is possible to prevent areas on the part from having chrome deposited by applying some of of a electrical insulating coating.

So in this case, it would appear that a company could replate this ornament if they had a material they could use to mask the Tri-Shields leaving the rest of the ornament to receive a deposit of new chrome.

I need to call one of these companies and see if this is practical.  If so I could bite the bullet and have this ornament rechromed.  Once that's done, then Loren's airbrush guy should be able to create a real masterpiece.  If this technique does work, it would be a model for everyone with a 1965 Buick to get a good looking hood ornament.  It may be expensive, but without any reproductions in the pipeline I suspect that cost will be comparable to trying to find a quality replacement.

Cheers, Edouard