Author Topic: Red Convertible Resto  (Read 12741 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Red Convertible Resto
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
Before I get into the rehab discussion I’d like to share some back ground information.  As some of you know, I bought this car from a member of 65GS.  He is a friend and I hold him in high esteem; during his ownership he made several improvements to the car. Prior to buying it I had it inspected by a very experienced Buick friend. When I purchased the car I knew its condition

Having said that, it is what it is; a fifty year old car that needs lots of love. We have all had moments during a resto when we look at something and say “I’ve never seen it done that way before.”  So when those pop up, understand it’s a fifty year, old four owner car, and it was an eyes wide open purchase.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:51:58 AM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Red Convertible Resto
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
 I've taken the step and started on the red car. I'll try to consolidate several other posts into this one. I want to try some things on the project, like doing my own panel replacement, and some body work.
 The engine is out and will be on its way to the machine shop this week. It was previously rebuilt around 1985 and was taken out .030 at that time. I wanted to start with the floors because, I've never replaced floors before, in fact I've never welded before but I did watch the Eastwood tutorial. I thought I may as well try it, if its beyond my capability's I'd have it done however, the cost of having them done would come out of some other part of the resto.
So gentleman, my first floor pan replacement. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:40:05 AM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Glad work is underway! (Re: Red Convertible Resto )
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:33:54 AM »
Glad Kevin you are getting started on this restoration!

You've always got to start somewhere!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »
Will be following along, glad to see you are working on the car. You're right, they're over 50 years old.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.  I'll be following along with you.  I've not done any welding, but will be happy to help in other areas if I can.

To the beginning of a great project!   :cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »
We always find some interesting things when we work on old cars.
Firewall markings, not sure what 82 represented but it was written on the firewall before the heater box was installed. Possibly an option code? Or maybe it just told the guy down the line what they where serving in the cafeteria for lunch.
More markings on the inside heater box. B for Buick? Thoughts?
Rat poison, found this in the AC ducting; good thing the AC didn't work someone would have been breathing the nasty stuff.

Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
Kevin,

Please post a picture of the trim tag - the one on the firewall. That may help with decoding the other markings.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
Here it is.

Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
Thanks. Thought was 339 might be the production number (its 1111) or the B-8 might be build date (Feb 8) but that's doubtful as the cars build date is the first week of June (06 A). Back to the drawing board. LOL

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
I have had the same experience with mouse/rat poison.  They don't eat it--the hoard it and stash it somewhere.  I found some stashed down in the front frame rails of one of my Buicks.  Had to fish a small shop vac hose down in the frame to get it all out.  Have two cats that live outside at my house now.  Haven't seen a single mouse nor any evidence of them in any of the building since.  All I see now are dead mouse and mole carcasses laying around the yard! 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Red Convertible Resto Question II
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
After a brief interruption to to finish a remodeling project in the house I've moved over to the drivers side. I have a question about the flat wiring harness or strip that runs to the rear of the car. How does it disconnect from the fuse box? Are there individual spades that plug into the back of the fuse box or a single plug? Do I need to remove the fuse box to disconnect the harness?
I know, so many questions. I just hate working with 50 year old wiring, sometimes we create new problems where none existed before. If it's easier I could just work around it.   
The good news is, I think my welding skills are improving and cutting out my second floor board wasn't nearly as scary.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
As I fuddle along with the restoration of my GS I’ve also been researching the cars past ownership.   I have spoken with three previous owners including Milton. Last night I spoke with the original owner.  We had a great conversation.  He’s a little older now but he clearly remembers walking into Gribbe Motors in Parsons Kansas and going through Buick brochures then ordering the car.  His new Buick GS was delivered on June 12 1965. He was 27 years old then.  He’s now a retired doctor.
He told me a great story, here’s the Readers Digest version.  In the spring of 1967 he drove the car into Mexico.  South of Mexico City while driving in the mountains the temp and alt lights came on, the engine had badly over heated.  He pulled the car over shut the engine off and secured a ride back to Mexico City.  There were no Buick dealers in Mexico City so he went to a Ford dealer.  The dealer went out with a wrecker and brought the car back to the dealership were it was diagnosed with a failed water pump.  A new pump needed to be shipped from Huston Texas.  He spent a week in Mexico City awaiting repairs.
The Ford dealer replaced the water pump and he began his journey back to Kansas. On the return trip he said the car lacked performance and the engine just didn’t run right.  On his return he took the car to a local Buick dealer were it was determined the engine block was cracked and needed to be replaced (this may explain the LT engine code).  With the car just over two years old he traded it in on a new Buick.
He has fond memories of the car and greatly appreciated the current pictures I sent him. He is going to dig out his old photo albums and have copies made of some Kodak Instamatic pictures from 1965-67 and send them to me.
I look forward to talking with him in the future and sharing my progress with him. Time to get back to work, hope to finish the trunk floor replacement this week.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:53 AM »
Kevin,

Great story and thanks for posting it.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
Kevin,

I agree that this is a great story.  Can I ask how you were able to research past owners?  Does the DMV just cough that info up? 

Thanks
Rob
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Rob,

DMV does not cough up that info in my experience. LE or other gov. entities may be able to get it, but I think they track those inquiries now.
Dan (dsags) helped me by having an Ancestry.com account available and searching for the name that was in the owners manual.

Kevin, getting the history of the car is great, and getting vintage photos way better. Nice Story.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)