Author Topic: 1965 Sportwagon.  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 1965 Sportwagon.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »
Welcome Steve from Defiance County, Ohio. Nice ride, several of my generation grew up in the back of one of those A body's.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  Nice to hear from '65 "Homies" nearby.  Hope you guys are planning to bring your cars to the GSCBCA All-Make show at the MN State Fairgrounds 5/1/16!

Best regards,
Steve.
Steve.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
Steve,

Look in the Events & Events Pictures forum...

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
Thanks Mark, just looked; looking forward to putting some faces with names in the future.

Edouard: I have a near-copy of your engine, built by Jim/TSP w/ TA heads and EZ EFI, but it's in my '71 LeSabre Sedan, which is now a true sleeper!  Regarding images of my family's original '65 Sportwagon (verde green) they are rare but I will dig something up....
Steve.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
Verde Green???  Bring it on, John and I would love to see those pictures!

:occasion14:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
Yeah, it was a great looking car in verde green.  I looked to duplicate that but really couldn't find one then or now!  But I do like the red on red.

I am only aware of one color picture of the car (possibly two) from around 1966-67, and they are both 35mm slides.  Have always meant to make a hard copy of one of them, maybe this will get me off the dime.  The only other photo that I'm aware of is B & W.
Steve.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
That was *SO* 2013! (Re: 1965 Sportwagon.)
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »
Dear Steve, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick retro high tech fans,

Edouard: I have a near-copy of your engine, built by Jim/TSP w/ TA heads and EZ EFI, but it's in my '71 LeSabre Sedan, which is now a true sleeper!

Hmm, obviously there has to be one key difference.  You must have a much shorter rear-end.  Otherwise you wouldn't be a happy man and would be grumbling as much as I am about the EZ-EFI 1.0 system:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=2719.msg17500#msg17500

I am only aware of one color picture of the car (possibly two) from around 1966-67, and they are both 35mm slides.  Have always meant to make a hard copy of one of them, maybe this will get me off the dime.  The only other photo that I'm aware of is B & W.

The photos I have of my wagon from around 1970 are also slides because that is what the family used until prints started to dominate.  I always preferred slides when practical so I have a ton of them from the old days.  Because of that, I bought a Canon scanner that could generate high resolution images of slides.  If you only have a few of them, I think you can find services that will scan them for you at a moderate cost.  You might try a place like Kinkos or the UPS store.  In our digital age, old film images have become a real drag! 

Thanks for sharing! 

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. Any memories of being in the back seat of your Buick as a kid?  I remember looking forward to getting gasoline around 1970 because in those days when you filled up the car, they gave us kids a free hot wheel car!

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
The LeSabre's got a 3.08, and it seems just fine, although I muse about going to a different transmission, and read all the postings about 200's and 700's.  My daily driver's got a modern clutchless 6L80e, which has a 4.06 first gear!  Day dreaming about that.
Steve.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
I really like the 200-4R (Re: 1965 Sportwagon.)
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »
Dear Steve and mid-60s Buick fans of having things both ways!

The LeSabre's got a 3.08, and it seems just fine,

What tires do you have on the LeSabre?  You might be close to the same final drive speed as my wagon, because she still have very small tires.  I'm trying to figure out what is an appropriate rear end ratio through these trials before upgrading to bigger tires.  When I do, I think I'll be looking at something 3.08:1

although I muse about going to a different transmission, and read all the postings about 200's and 700's.  My daily driver's got a modern clutchless 6L80e, which has a 4.06 first gear!  Day dreaming about that.

There is only so much you can do to get the modern pleasures in a 50 year old car, but I really like how the 200-4R has make my trusty wagon more pleasant to drive.  It is a bit rough in shifting from 1 to 2 because it needs to avoid having 500 foot•pounds of torque hit it were it can't move the torque somewhere else.  However, if you apply the throttle carefully you can minimize it.  In return the car is so much more quiet even with headers.

I had a pleasant surprise on Tuesday when I made a point of driving in 3 gear instead of overdrive on the freeway to bring up the RPMs on the engine to give it some more break-in exercise.  It was substantially louder than in overdrive (of course,) but the big-block Buick engine with all the modern parts was still substantially quieter than the old 300 cid V-8 was on the freeway.  I never thought that a big-block with modern components could be quieter than smaller engine with 1965 components.

Still lots of things to love about our classics if you look!  :love4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Any rubbing problems with front tires? (Re: 1965 Sportwagon.)
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:29 AM »
Dear Steve and mid-60s Buick longroof fans,

I'm still trying to decide on the tires for my trusty 1965 Buick wagon and I'm wondering about your 215/70-15 tires on your wagon.  Do you have any problems with the tires rubbing on the front?

Curious wagons want to know!

Cheers, Edouard