Author Topic: Hood ornament re-coloring service NO LONGER AVAILABLE  (Read 15933 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Hood ornament - WOW!! (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick fans of beautiful hood ornaments,

Yesterday, I got back from Loren the repainted Tri-Shields that Custom Metal Finishing had successfully removed when they restored the chrome on my hood ornament.  Today was my first chance to try to take some decent pictures.  Honestly I wasn't very successful, but this should give you some idea of how they turned out:

Unfortunately, the camera cannot handle the extremes of light and color.  There are some "blotches" that are artifacts of the photo and aren't actually on the Tri-Shields.  However, I hope that give you some idea.  You can click on the images to get even higher resolution images.  I gently placed them into the restored hood ornament and . . . . .

Again, the camera isn't rendering the restoration extremely well, but I think you can how nice the pieces come together.  Here is the back:

I just sent an email to Custom Metal Finishing asking which adhesive to use for gluing the Tri-Shields back on.  Still, that should be a straightforward task.  So if you really want to give your 1965 Buick A-body the ultimate look of a like-new hood ornament - this technique clearly yields wonderful results.

Thanks Loren!!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Thanks Edouard for the kind words.

It should look even better once it is back on the hood where it belongs.  It did turn out very well.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
That turned out great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »
Looks familiar......and will look REALLY good on your car, Edouard!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 11:58:55 PM »
Nice result on mine. Thanks Loren!  :headbang:
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 06:14:52 AM »
Edouard and Dan,

Thanks,  I appreciate the kudos, but I'm just the middle man.
My friend Jessie is the man with the patience and talent.  Dan A. and I sourced the colors for the hood ornament and the Gran Sport emblems. Then left it up to the artist.
If you like the job on those pieces, you should see the mural work he is capable of.

It is interesting the photo quality difference of the colors of these two ornaments in the postings.  They were done at the same time with the same paints. In person, they look identical.
Goes to show that color does not always show true in different pictures on a computer.

Loren
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:22:22 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Automotive trim adhesive? (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »
Dear Loren, Dan, and mid-60s Buick "stick to the job" types, . . .

Jimmy from Custom Metal Finishing suggested that I use a quality automotive trim adhesive like this one from 3M:

http://3mcollision.com/3m-plastic-emblem-and-trim-adhesive-03601.html

The description says it should work just fine.  There is even a link to the Safety Data Sheet:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMY_Soxtx5v70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Alas with my freshman chemistry this is all Greek to me.  What do you guys think?  Is this the way to go?

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »
Looks like the 3M adhesive should work. It is resistant to heat, water and gasoline.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Tri-Shields glued into rechromed ornament. (Re: re-coloring service)
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »
Dear mid-60 Buick caretakers of your car’s “crown jewels.”

I wanted to update everyone on the final assembly of the 1965 hood ornament that I have been restoring thanks to Loren and Custom Metal Finishing.  The last bit of work was to glue the Tri-Shields to the ornament chrome.  Following the recommendation of Custom Metal Finishing, I bought a tube of 3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive.  However, I noticed an odd pattern in the reviews for this product on the Amazon website:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCM3J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Most of the reviews were really stellar, but there were a few horror stories.  So I decided to be careful in my application technique and make a test.  I had an old fan with chrome legs.  I started out by cleaning a bit of the fan leg with mineral spirits.  I then applied a thin coat of the 3M adhesive on a piece of aluminum foil and applied it to the fan.  The next morning - I couldn’t budge it!  I concluded that this was a viable technique!

I glued the Tri-Shields in the same way applying a thin coat using a Q-Tip of all things.  The Q-Tip was sturdy enough to apply the adhesive without leaving any cotton.  However, the 3M adhesive can form filaments which should be removed to avoid defacing the ornament.  To make it easier to hold the Tri-Shields, I used 3M Scotch removable mounting squaresNo I assure you, 3M didn’t pay any promotional consideration for this post!  :laughing7: Seriously, I put the squares on a scrap of wood and then secured the Tri-Shields painted side down on the other side of the squares.  It was then easy to coat the other side with the adhesive.  When it was time to remove the Tri-Shields they came right off without any damage.

I placed the Tri-Shields into the hood ornament before applying some pressure using some wax paper.  I was able to easily adjust the final location of the shields before fixing the location with the wax paper.  I then allowed the glue to cure overnight.  Here is what the ornament finally looks like:

Here is another view of the front more from the passenger side:

Finally, here is a view of the back of the ornament:

I want to apply one more protection before mounting it on my trusty wagon.  Orinda Auto Detail can apply a product called Opti-Coat.  It is a compound that, as I understand it, chemically deposits a layer of Silicon Dioxide (glass).  It basically eliminates the need to wax and that is a especially desirable on a complex object like the hood ornament.

Stay tuned!

P.S. I tried very hard to get a uniform angle of sunlight so that these pictures would be more representative of the colors.  Even so, you’ll notice that the Tri-Shield colors appear to be different in each picture!  While not ideal in terms of representing the paint job, I think it speaks to how well the overall job turned out.  The effect of the brand new chrome and the paint is so good that even a modern digital camera has trouble capturing the amount of shine!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »
Edouard,

Your persistence and hard work really paid off. It looks really fantastic.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 05:55:50 AM »
Nice work Edouard!  Biquette will wear it proudly and be the best looking girl on the block!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
That really looks great! Nice job.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks guys! (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 11:02:04 AM »
Dear Loren, Chuck, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caretakers of our car's "crown jewels,"

Thanks guys! 

What I'm especially happy about is simply coming up with a way to provide a replacement hood ornament that should pass Buick Club of America judging.  As my local car buddy has said: "A hood ornament is really the crown jewel of your car."  A beautifully restored 1965 Buick isn't complete with without a beautifully restored hood ornament.  At least now there is a technique to try to achieve that.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »
I have an ornament I want to re chrome & then recolor.  Has anyone figured out how to safely remove the foil Tri shields?

Thanks
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
I don't but chome plater does! (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick keepers of the car's "crown jewels,"

I have an ornament I want to re chrome & then recolor.  Has anyone figured out how to safely remove the foil Tri shields?

I don't know how do to it myself, but I sent my hood ornament to Custom Metal Finishing Indiana for rechroming.  They were able to remove the Tri-Shield foils.  See this posting in this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2709.msg20695.html#msg20695

To see the final outcome - look at this posting:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2709.msg21342.html#msg21342

There is one more set of pictures in this posting:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2709.msg21979.html#msg21979

If you are patient, I highly recommend sending your hood ornament to Custom Metal Finishing Indiana.  Here is a link to their website:

http://www.chromeplatingin.com/

If you have any questions - ask! . . . .